What's new

Learning Japanese

Thebigofan

Registered
23 Dec 2013
Hi, I'm interested in learning Japanese but I'm not interested in learning how to speak the language but only to be able to read it.
I just want to be able to purchase Manga and be able to read it. Can anyone give me advice on the best way to learn Japanese? Thanks!

Hi, I'm interested in learning Japanese but I'm not interested in learning how to speak the language but only to be able to read it.
I just want to be able to purchase Manga and be able to read it. Can anyone give me advice on the best way to learn Japanese? Thanks!

Someone asked a similar question not too long ago...

Learning to Read Japanese | Japan Forum

Read suggestions here.

I started with hiragana and katakana then I used loads of free resources on the internet to get as much grammar knowledge and words as possible and then started reading games/manga and watching anime for vocab/fun. There are loads of ways to learn kanji after that but I just seem to be slowly but surley amassing them by reading and using the Rikai-sama plugin for Firefox. Well that's just me.

You might want to start on some sort of introductory course irl or on a website somewhere, but no matter what I don't think there is a "best way to learn." Some ways might be better than others yeah. But no way is gonna let you understand manga fully in like a year or something. If you are serious just find some starting point and know that every word you learn, every grammar point you cover, every kanji you recognize, you would be one step closer to being "able to purchase Manga and be able to read it."

Oh the perks of learning/knowing Japanese! :D wonderful. (I'm a learner so this isn't bragging or something xD).

Thanks! I'm starting with hiragana right now.
So how long will it take for me to be able to read in Japanese?

Thanks! I'm starting with hiragana right now.
So how long will it take for me to be able to read in Japanese?

Well once you've learned hiragana and katakana (which could take a week or a month or whatever depending on how much you practice or how good your memory is) you could easily start reading manga, or anything, that had furigana (readings of kanji in hiragana and sometimes katakana) and especially children's books/things that don't use kanji. Of course, you'd be reading but not neccessarily understanding. But then that's why you learn grammar and vocab too. Not everything has furigana though so you'd be limited in what you could read but it's a start.

Back
Top Bottom