What's new

Kanreki traditions

taira

後輩
20 Aug 2005
Hi Everyone,
Question about Kanreki. I know what it is, but I'm wondering if there are any special customs or traditions that accompany it (besides the wearing of the red hat and vest)?

TIA,
Taira

Re: what is Kanreki

You can search for "kanreki" in the forum for a more detailed explanation, but basically it's a person's 60th birthday (61st in Japan since you are 1 years old when you are born).

Along with the 12-animal Chinese Zodiac, each person is born under one of 5 elemental signs (Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water). These two cycles reset every 60 years so a person is said to be starting their 2nd cylce (childhood).

In Japan, men (and these days women) wear a red hat and red vest as part of the kanreki celebration. Red is a color most often associated with children. I'm guessing in olden times, when life expectancies were much shorter, living to 60 was not small feat and those in their 60's often required some sort of geriatric care and were indeed like children in that they needed to be cared for.

There's a good explanation here:
Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

So my question is if any of our Japanese readers know of any other traditions, customs or foods associated with kanreki.

Back
Top Bottom