What's new

traditional japanese hairstyles

cosmicbeanbag

後輩
25 Jun 2007
hi everyone!

i'm an illustrator doing a series of pieces that combine the woodblock motif (flattened imagery with solid colors, printed designs, graphics, etc.) with sci-fi themes (cyberpunk, steampunk, monsters, etc) and hip hop, graffiti culture.

my series begins with a warrior female, heavily tattooed and cool looking with sword, mechanical arm and dressed in traditional (or based on traditional) japanese clothing and wearing an ornate hairstyle similar to what a geisha or woman about to be married will wear.

there are all kinds of resources on the web regarding jewelry and adornements, the meanings behind geisha hairstyles, and lots of pictures of the styles themselves (although they aren't very good pics, and they lack description. which brings me to my question).

does anyone know of a resource (online, magazine, books, anything) where i can learn how these hairstyles are created. as an artist it is important for me to understand how these hairstyles are created to that i can better replicate or use as a foundation for my work. or even the name of the type of hairstyle, or different types of styles.

i can post copies of my image progress if anyone is interested.

thanks for taking the time.

k

But i have my hair done like this:

well allmost 😌

2006124273oy7-1.jpg

Hello

I am half Japanese and am interested in styling my hair in the traditional Japanese style for men of course. I have read that a Top Knot is one hair style, If that is the only way they used to wear it how would I go about wearing my hiar like that? I know I should ask some of my elders that moved here from Japan but they don't understand that I want to have a traditional. I saw a picture of my great great grandfather from Japan, he has a top knot, how do I get my hiar in a Top knot?

Domo Arigato

Michael

Have you heard of a ponytail? It is acheived in a similar way. Simply get a elastic band, put all your hair up and wrap around a few times. Bingo: top knot. Not that easy, but that is it generally.

Back
Top Bottom