What's new

Jelly attack

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Jellyfish the size of washing machines. Ugh.

Giant jellyfish found off Japan

Giant jellyfish plague hits Sea of Japan[

Check the pic below. :eek:

jelly.jpg

😲 those things are huge, but how do they get them back out to the ocean. And you could feed A LOT of people with just one of those things. I just would need some Wasabi and Teryaki sauce on the side. ^_^"

I've eaten them for the first time last Thursday in a Chinese restaurant. A bit tough...

Aliens patrolling earth's waters

I've had them, too. They make perfect salads with cucumber on vinegar with a dash of salt, pepper, and sugar. The guy in the photo looks like he's talking to them. It would feel strange to study them first, and then turn them over for food. What if they were just some low alien beings loafing in earth's waters for vacation ? Hunger is a deathly thing. :?

Edit: Glad someone else liked the big 'uns ! I just realized all but the last article are gone.

The Japan TImes Online said:
Jumbo jellyfish bedeviling local fishermen

MATSUE, Shimane Pref. (Kyodo) Fishermen along the Sea of Japan coast, especially those near Shimane and Fukui prefectures, have been plagued by giant jellyfish since August.

Two Nomura's Jellyfish recently caught in fishnets are examined at the fishermen's cooperative union in Ine, Kyoto Prefecture.

An abnormally large number of Nomura's Jellyfish have been clogging fixed nets and keeping fish from approaching.

The largest in the jellyfish family in coastal Japanese waters, a Nomura's Jellyfish, known in scientific terms as stomolophus nomurai, can grow to 2 meters in diameter and weigh 200 kg. Scientists say currents may push the creatures even farther north.

The jellyfish also hurt the fish caught in nets as mucus and poison from their tentacles drastically reduce the catch's commercial value.

A fixed-net fishing firm in Mihonoseki, Shimane Prefecture, said the problem has cost it some 10 million yen.

"Every day, all our efforts are spent removing the jellyfish from fishing nets," an official said. A fishing official from Kashima, Shimane Prefecture, said the catch has fallen to the point where some companies are having a hard time paying boat crews.

Toru Yasuda, 64, former director of Fukui Prefecture's fish-farming center, attributed the large presence of giant jellyfish to cleaner and warmer seawater this year.

The survival rate of the jellyfish was greater this year, Yasuda said, because this year's rainy season saw a drop in rainfall, resulting in less soil runoff. The higher-than-normal sea temperature has meanwhile led to faster growth of the jellyfish.

The Japan Times: Oct. 31, 2002
(C) All rights reserved
Photo subtext: Two Nomura's Jellyfish recently caught in fishnets are examined at the fishermen's cooperative union in Ine, Kyoto Prefecture.

Last edited:
Holy ****! I am soo happy you showed me this! I am obsessed with jellyfish cause they are sooooo cool and strange! That picture is amazing!!!!!! SOO BIG!
Thanks, you made my day! *all happy and insane*

More Aliens, baby & orphaned this time !

From the beaches of Germany comes this jelly babe !! :)
marsattacks-1.jpg

She's so graceful, adorable, and cool !!

Last edited:
WOW LETS ACT LIKE JACKASS 👍

PUT OUR HEAD ON IT< AND THEN PISS ON OUR OWN FACE....

( i dont think it will help with this one...):unsure:

im bit afraid of those guys,,,, well guys... some of theml ook like cars...

Jellyfish are a very mysterious. They float around in the ocean without purpose and grow bigger and bigger, untill they eventually end up on some beach. Besides, I'm scared of them too - they sting and are dangerous. But pretty.

Wow, another unearthed thread from yesteryear... :)

Here's another pic from the original article. A real beauty.

Beauty is but skin deep, whereas the jellyfish is deeper than skin

How could they be brainless, and yet so beautiful? :(

Marine biologists say the big fish and crustaceans are disappearing, and more and more the sea will be left to the jellyfish and plankton.

Time to change your tastebuds to jelly sushi, or plankton-in-miso soup; or else go veggie.

By Elizabeth Nash in Madrid
14 August 2005

Could it be said that the seas around Japan are facing changes in parallel ?

they don't have to be big to look cool, this little guy was about 2 inches across.

Last edited:
Pretty ! 😍 She's got a wonderful, big smile, too. Almost two full inches wide ! 😎

Last edited:
Jelly fish will soon rule the world. They will replace humanity as we know it!

Doc :D

Lol, this reminds me of when i was in Florida... I was swimming at a beach (with murky water) with my family, when all of a sudden I felt something brush against my stomach. A couple seconds later, there was an immense pain at my side, as if I'd gotten stabbed. When I'd gotten out of the water, there was a giant rash as well as welts all over my side. It turns out I'd gotten stung by a jellyfish! Thank god it wasn't a giant jellyfish... 😌

I have heard that certain stings by certain wild creatures can have homeopathic effects; as long as they don't cause a overreaction of your immune system.

Glad you survived ! How long did it take to recover ? Hours, or days ? What was the remedy ? Did you experience anything unusual after the sting; apart from the obvious pain ?

Did you guys ever hear of the story about the guy who got a jelly fish stuck in his wet suit? It's not a pretty story.

Doc

lexico said:
Glad you survived ! How long did it take to recover ? Hours, or days ? What was the remedy ? Did you experience anything unusual after the sting; apart from the obvious pain ?
The actual pain was gone within a few hours, with the help of some vinegar sprayed on the spot where I was stung by one of the lifeguards. The spot where I was stung was still sensitive for the next couple days, and the mark didn't completely go away until about a month later. I don't think I felt anything unusual after the pain... There could've been, but the pain was so overwhelming that nothing else seemed to matter at that point. :p

Doc said:
Did you guys ever hear of the story about the guy who got a jelly fish stuck in his wet suit? It's not a pretty story.
That sure doesn't sound like a pretty story...

Let's just say that jelly fish need hair so they can stick to something. Well let's just say that the only hair the guy has on his body is his butt crack. Let's just say it was stuck there for two days straight, and the guy couldn't go to the bathroom. What's worse, is that his entire marine biology team thought it was the funniest thing they had ever heard in their entire lives. This is an actual true story too.

Doc

Lol, I guess I can understand why they found it so funny. However, I sympathize with that guy, and realize how fortunate I was not to get a jellyfish stuck in my swimming trunks. :p

~Bump~
Hmm this reminds me of my childhood, when I was a child, jellyfish was actually part of my daily diet, I ate it raw with lime cut chilli and soya sauce.
I was extremely skinny when I was a kid because my grandmother's cooking. 😊

But I don't think the jelly fish I ate is taken from Jelly fish this big. I heard the box jelly fish in Australia is deadly, but never got stung by one.😌

Back
Top Bottom