What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Have you read/watched Attack on Titan?

nahadef

Quietly exploding
Reaction score
I ask the question since it's one of the major success stories in comics in the last decade. Among manga printed in America, it's a huge success, and just last week it celebrated 30 million collections sold, over 12 volumes. That's pretty fantastic.

I've read the first five books. I was very taken with it at first, since the concept is really potent. There are a lot of questionable things about it though. The "titans" look very very 'white.' Supposedly, the story is set in a time where almost only white people are left, and one of the heroes is the last Asian person, but all are small nosed anime types so you don't consider the race of the protagonists much (the Mickey Mouse effect of sorts: all nationalities relate to Mickey). The titans are not manga-esque though, they are grotesquely European looking types. I really don't know the politics of the author, but it was the first time in my life I'd really felt like white people were full on vilified in any media with efficiency. All the same, I loved the first few volumes. By number five, it turned into wheel spinning, a problem I have with too much manga (stopped with One Piece after being bored at volume four) and I haven't ordered the sixth, but I'll probably catch up with it at some point.

The books have a certain resonance with The Walking Dead, which I've read every issue of. The post-apocalyptic atmosphere being the main connecting thread. But The Walking Dead is much more 'adult' in its themes. Not to say mature, but that it tackles the complexity of of sex and death a little more than Titan does.

Anyone else following this book?

Kairia

後輩
Reaction score
I have only seen the anime and haven't read the manga yet. I just hope they continue with the anime because I found myself binge watching it without realizing what I was doing. I'd recommend it to anyone, even to people who don't watch anime.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
I've never thought titans are white. It seems just "stateless", as many manga/anime do. Although it's said that the story has something to do with Norse mythology.

chrisjameson

Kouhai
Reaction score
I've watched it and loved it. Most of the characters in the show are European, there's lots of German names in it. So I don't think you can say it's Asians vs white people...

nahadef

Quietly exploding
Reaction score
I've never thought titans are white. It seems just "stateless", as many manga/anime do. Although it's said that the story has something to do with Norse mythology.
I read somewhere the the Titans were based on a book of European portraits he found. I don't think he's racist, I just thought it was unusual to have the human characters be typical manga faces, but the titans are very notably 'white'. There's no other way to describe their faces.
I've watched it and loved it. Most of the characters in the show are European, there's lots of German names in it. So I don't think you can say it's Asians vs white people...
As of the fifth book, they are all European except one single Asian woman (Mikasa), so it's whites against whites, theoretically, if that is the reading one wants to take. I certainly don't think it's Asians vs white people.

Reaction score
I watched the anime and loved it - I know what you mean about binge watching! What I liked was how it was really full on right from the start, although there were a few episodes where it kept us waiting with not a lot happening. Can't wait for the next series.

Top Bottom