What's new

Japan's justice system

TokyoTom

後輩
2 Jun 2012
I read that Japan tortures people in prison and sometimes even kills it's prisoners. Is this true? I thought Japan was a civilized country. I hear about this stuff happening in Mexico, which doesn't surprise me since Mexico is a corrupt 3rd world country. (No offense). I really hope this isn't true.

Oh and i saw the American government tortures people in guantanamo, i thought the united states is a civilized country too !
Sigh...

From what's known, Japan's prison regime is not exactly lenient, torture however is - officially - not part of the criminal justice system. Amnesty International has repeatedly criticised the high conviction rate as well as infrequent forced confessions.

What are your sources?

Does "kills it's [sic] prisoners" refer to capital punishment? If so, the answer is yes.

And the same is true for the US government and many US states, although Alaska is not one of them.

Does "kills it's [sic] prisoners" refer to capital punishment? If so, the answer is yes.

And the same is true for the US government and many US states, although Alaska is not one of them.

Japan does use capital punishment, but it's a lot more selective in its use than the States. It's still too much, but definitely Japan is not in the same league as America in its use. Then again, the crime rate is a lot lower, so maybe it's proportionate?

Back
Top Bottom