What's new

Japanese vs Scandinavian minimalism

Petaris

Sailing away...
Top Donor
3 Aug 2007
I just read an interesting article comparing Japanese and Scandinavian minimalism in design and decorating. Most of us are familiar with Scandinavian minimalism thanks to the spread of Ikea. Japanese minimalism, for me anyway, seems most present in historic Japanese building interiors but less so for modern interiors. The ideas of the difference of styling that is mentioned in the article is also interesting as it is not what I would say based on being in a range of Japanese homes and apartments that varied in how modern they were. I can't speak to actual Scandinavian homes as I have never been in one. The Japanese homes seem to have gone through a similar migration over the recent decades as we have seen in the US. Houses from the 70's tend to have darker interiors with either dark wood paneling or dark-ish wallpaper and, to some extent, less natural light, and bulkier furniture (less so in Japan). More recent houses from the 90's and 2000's tend to go brighter and have more natural light, and lighter/smaller furniture. To me the Ikea brand of minimalism and the Japaneses brand seem very similar. There are Ikea stores in Japan and I know, at least at one point, they were very popular.

Maybe this is just what I have been exposed to. What are your thoughts?

Here is the article: Has Japanese Minimalism Replaced Its Scandinavian Counterpart?

If I were looking at a catalog I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference but I can't argue with the article. Maybe because I don't know anything about design.

Although konmari is my personal hero, she's certainly an outlier and not very representative of the Japan esthetic.

Any of the pics there... none of them look like anyone really lives there (lives with that stuff/design), kind of 'humans not allowed'.

And I mean really, there's a turntable and amp on the end of the sofa? Not even off on its own table/stand? Yeah, let me put this record on and listen while someone, or a pet, moves around on the same furniture.

5ed5353e0850a.jpg

I guess I'll let them get away with wired headphones (no speakers), but then, where's the vinyl collection?

That "stereo" is just placed there, like a tchotchke on a shelf. Like the other things in the pictures.

Actually when I went to Sweden on business two years ago, the esthetic in the hotel was similar to this. But no turntable. :)

Any of the pics there... none of them look like anyone really lives there (lives with that stuff/design), kind of 'humans not allowed'.

And I mean really, there's a turntable and amp on the end of the sofa? Not even off on its own table/stand? Yeah, let me put this record on and listen while someone, or a pet, moves around on the same furniture.

I guess I'll let them get away with wired headphones (no speakers), but then, where's the vinyl collection?

That "stereo" is just placed there, like a tchotchke on a shelf. Like the other things in the pictures.

I agree, these shots always seem fake to me. Definitely no kids or pets either.

These designs can look interesting but they don't seem like somewhere that would be comfortable to live. I'm not a fan of clutter or overfilled spaces but these designs always look unrealistically designed to me. Just something put together by a designer for a photo shoot or maybe in the lobby of some fancy office.

Back
Top Bottom