What's new

Japanese people online

elwing

the confused
25 Mar 2004
Konnichiwa!
Im new here on the J-Ref boards. I have been reading lots of threads and discussions and I find it very interesting, so i've finaly registerd myself. Because I'm new here, I will tell you a little bit about myself and why I'm here. (I hope I'm not makin' you all bored and sleepy! I'll try to make it short.)

Im a 19 year old dude living in the small, cold and snowy town Jokkmokk in Sweden. Ive been living here all my life and Im getting really bored with it. I will most likely go to school in Tokyo next winter to study Japanese. Language, culture and lifestyle. I think Japan and the rest of Asia is very interesting and I can't wait to go there! :D

Before I go to Japan, I'd like to get in contact with japanese students (or non students) in my age. It would be really really nice to have some friends (and maybe a GF) when I arive there.
Does anyone here know where japanese people hang out when they are online?.. I mean chat sites.. Sites where you can meet people, upload your photos, chat and join discussions.
I know only 1 good site with lots of japanese people on it and that is MSN Dating Service. it is pricy, gotta pay for it and maybe I will do so! But it will be my last option.

Please let me know if you know any good japanese "chat site". I don't mind if it is written in japanese (Hiragana, katakana and kanji). I've already learnt alot in school here in Sweden and when I see something that I don't understand, I just use Babelfish online translator.

Sorry for the poor English.
Thanks for reading.

i'd like a link to some clubs in sweden! genres? anything other than trance! thanks in advance!

Konnichiwa&taste them in Japan!

elwing said:
Im a 19 year old dude living in the small, cold and snowy town Jokkmokk in Sweden. Ive been living here all my life and Im getting really bored with it.
In Japan, the name Jokkmokk(but we spell Yoku Moku) is so-so famous. But few people know Yoku Moku is originally the name of a town in Sweden(I myself find it today from your post).

A quiz: What does the name "Yoku Moku" mean for Japanese?

answer:
YOKUMOKU
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/nagano-tokyu/423027/447763/
http://www.e109.com/template/SPMmod/A1.asp?ShopID=460

Thanks mdchachi.
I will try these links and hope for the best.

mdchachi said:
..But it would be difficult to interact with native speakers via Babelfish.
Hehe yeah I guess your right ;) ..I will try to find people who can speak english as well.

budd said:
i'd like a link to some clubs in sweden! genres? anything other than trance! thanks in advance!
hmm, I'm not sure that I understand what you mean.. I'm not into stuff like that. Maybe because we dont have any here in the silent north! :D

kara said:
In Japan, the name Jokkmokk(but we spell Yoku Moku) is so-so famous. But few people know Yoku Moku is originally the name of a town in Sweden(I myself find it today from your post).
lol.. That is kinda cool!
So Yoku Moku (jokkmokk) is some kind of bread?.. I'll buy some when i get to Japan.

It very much depends on where in Sweden you mean. In Stockholm (capital) there is Debaser that plays rock music. I believe you have to be 20 or 21 on weekends and they sometimes have live bands playing.
http://debaser.comology.com/

To answer elwing:
I got a Japanese penpal from www.japan-guide.com (go to Forum > Pen pal) that I practice my Japanese with (very good if you like me study without a teacher or classes).

Learning Japanese

. I will most likely go to school in Tokyo next winter to study Japanese.

Run for the hills, learning Japanese is one way, someone from Japan is secretly torturing you.

It has 3 different ways to write the language (or so they say) !

Their was a web-site that made fun of learning Japanese, I can't find it.

Learning Japanese

Here it is

Excerpts from the web-site !

--> http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html

So You Want To Learn Japanese.
..... on and on......

REASON ONE
ITS TOO HARD

This should be an obvious.

Despite what many language books, friends, or online tutorials may have told you, Japanese is NOT simple, easy, or even sensical (Japanese vocabulary is determined by throwing tiny pieces of sushi at a dart board with several random syllables attatched to it). TheJapanese spread these rumours to draw foolish Gaijin into their clutches.

Not only is it not simple, it's probably one of the hardest language you could ever want to learn. With THREE completely different written languages (none of which make sense), multitude of useless, confusing politeness levels, and absolutely insane grammatical structure, Japanese has been crushing the souls of the pathetic Gaijin since it's conception. Let's go over some of these elements mentioned above so you can get a better idea of what I mean.

... on and on .............................

_.

My Long Time Japanese Fried Says It Is Insane.....

to learn the language unless you plan to live & work there long term!! Now that she is living & working here in the states, she says she would just as soon forget Japanese.
I have to admit, if you don't use Japanese almost every day, you soon forget it!

Frank

hahaha, i loved that writeup, ive been studying 7 years and i can agree and relate with every point. Its not the kind of thing you do unless you want to work/live in japan.

To Jackinthebox, Ewok and Frank D.
Thanks for sharing, but I won't give up that easily.
In my opinnion the japanese conversation (talking) is not v.hard, its the writing that can drive one insane.. Btw, I wont be studying any writing in Japan, only conversation because studying both conversaton and the nightmarish writing at the same time while also studying some lifestyle and culture would probably be a bit too much for me. ;) I need time for other things too. the program includes sight-seeing, festivals, guided tours, social activities with japanese students and much more.

I will be living with a host family and I believe that it will be v.good for my learning.. And yes, I've got plans on staying in Japan for a v.long time even after my studies, so my language skills wont be lost.

Here is some info from my program.
This conversational Japanese program introduces everyday expressions, grammar, vocabulary, and sentence patterns. It is specially designed for students with no or little previous knowledge of the language. Class work focuses on daily expression, sentence structure and idiomatic constructions with an emphasis on pronunciation. Oral exercises and drills ensure that participants learn from the start the correct pronunciation. The program aims to provide the language skills needed for effective communication. Topics studied include everyday situations and Japanese culture, society, and history.
source: Đang Tải...

JackIntheBox
hehe yeah thats a funny site, I've seen it already. And on the bottom of the page it also says:

Author's Note:This whole essay, although sprinkled with truisms here and there, is a joke and should be taken like one. I'm actually a Japanese major myself, and even if I've given it a bit of a hard time, I love the Japanese language, and I think everyone should give it a try!

Trust me, I know what I'm doing and im highly motivated. ;)

Last edited:
i cant talk long. i am paying 10 en a minute and am already up to 1000 on this connection! :mad:
true, it does get easier if one is living in japan and can be immersed, but unlike english (whic REALLY makes no sense), japanese is pretty precise ime
and japanese people will encourage a person to learn more if they show EVEN a LITTLE effort!
english speaking people dont do that!
ill post some links and some books, but check out the language forum and pay absolutely no attention to the naysayers! peace!

Back
Top Bottom