What's new

Japanese Kamon

I couldn't find a kamon on that fan. I can see the ornament on the handle, which looks like it might be an orphaned menuki (sword hilt ornament) with a helmet and bow design. Menuki come in pairs, but often one of them gets lost, and you are left with an orphan. Its common to find them on tobacco pouches from the late 1800s to early 1900s. The heart-shaped hole in the fan is called inome (猪の目 - boar's eye), and is a common motif.

The OP might refer to 飛龍兜 Hiryūkabuto on the handle.

If so, it indeed looks like 兜図目貫 Kabuto-zu Menuki, as Majestic-san wrote.

I couldn't find a kamon on that fan. I can see the ornament on the handle, which looks like it might be an orphaned menuki (sword hilt ornament) with a helmet and bow design. Menuki come in pairs, but often one of them gets lost, and you are left with an orphan. Its common to find them on tobacco pouches from the late 1800s to early 1900s. The heart-shaped hole in the fan is called inome (猪の目 - boar's eye), and is a common motif.
Thank you for the information. I had assumed that the ornament on the handle would be a kamon so based on my assumption. Thank you for the clarification!

Here's some information that may be useful. It's all in Japanese.
Thank you for the link. Does it matter whether there are five bones of the fan or eleven as in our case or is it the pattern of the fan that is more important?

Thank you for the link. Does it matter whether there are five bones of the fan or eleven as in our case or is it the pattern of the fan that is more important?
Honestly, I don't know. I'm not an expert on kamon. I do hope the links were helpful, and if not, at least interesting to youl

Thank you for your help. Very interesting and I am sure guiding me in the correct direction! I couldnt get into the Seiyudo.com link something wrong with the fire wall.

Back
Top Bottom