What's new

Japanese govt. housing, my true experience

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
4 Sep 2015
I recently joined this forum for many reasons, but the 2 most important ones are, the language, and ask for assistance on finding out about rentals both govt. and private. This thread is about my 2 weeks of working with the Japanese Housing Authority in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi.

1. I went with the govt. agency dealing with the August lottery. Yes, the apartments are only given out by winning a slot on the lottery. I'm not sure, but I think the lottery is every 3 months nation wide.
2. Don't always go in with high hopes on what you've read about other people's success on the net. I believe that something is really missing in their stories, maybe, maybe not.
3. OK, the employees I chatted with were the most helpful any foreigner could possible ask for.
They spent over 2 hour on my first interview. They were very sincere and trying their best to get me in an apartment. (note, my case was a very unusual experience for them and there staff) They just didn't have all the answers, but they said it's very likely they'd be able to get me in.
4. OK. This is the meat of this post and it only deals with Shimonoseki, but all the grounds rules apply nation wide.

1st. you have to have a resident card in good standing.
2nd. you have to already live in that city. GET IT... no exceptions. you can't come from another city and expect to be entered into the lottery drawing, WON'T HAPPEN. So if you want govt. housing, you got to live in that city first.
3rd. you must have a guarantee (sorry, no leeway on this one either)
4th. 3 months deposit ( a must)
5. pass the background check (takes about one month)
6. a bank account
7. a guaranteed type of income that has been deposited into your bank account
8. tell the truth from your first word spoken "why" you want govt. housing, this really is the most important, and with that it will start with a well meaningful interview.

So this is it. I didn't qualify. But I want the staff and the members here to know that I appreciated all their assistance and in end, I finally got housing through another program provided by a different city assistance program and the leads provided on this forum and the govt housing dept.

Best to all in need.

It should be pointed out that in addition to municipal public housing which requires one to live inside that specific municipality there is also prefectural public housing, which broadens one's options to the entire prefecture in which one lives.

I lived in an appartement like this for about seven years. Cant really remember how the proces went as my wife took care of it but was happy to stay there in a 2dk for only 23.000 a month. Parking was about 3000 yen. Now I pay a lot more rent and parking cost about 18.000 a month...

It should be pointed out that in addition to municipal public housing which requires one to live inside that specific municipality there is also prefectural public housing, which broadens one's options to the entire prefecture in which one lives.

Thanks Mike for bringing that up, I was not aware of that. Doesn't mean the staff there didn't discuss it, there may not have been anything available so they didn't bring it up. They did have the list of all Yamaguchi housing that was available for the lottery, that I saw.

I lived in an appartement like this for about seven years. Cant really remember how the proces went as my wife took care of it but was happy to stay there in a 2dk for only 23.000 a month. Parking was about 3000 yen. Now I pay a lot more rent and parking cost about 18.000 a month...

Davey, sounds like you are doing fine these days, I guess that's what counts the most. Good luck with that 18000 yen on parking. You must live in a big city?

Here's the site for Yamaguchi prefectural public housing (山口県営住宅 Yamaguchi Ken'ei Juutaku),
入居者の募集 | 入居希望の方 | 山口県営住宅 TEL 083-934-2004 〒753-0082 山口県山口市水の上町1番7号
(all in Japanese)

and Shimonoseki city public housing (下関市営住宅 Shimonoseki Shiei Juutaku).
http://translate.city.shimonoseki.l...NG=ja&TLANG=en&XMODE=0&XCHARSET=utf-8&XJSID=0
(machine translated)

The next lottery is November.

Thanks tori

I think people that will read this thread will benefit also from your post. Yamaguchi -ken is a nice area and prices are somewhat cheaper here then other areas in Japan. Again, thanks for helping out on this thread.

Fine is a big worth but it's nice to have more space.

18 for parking is bit crazy but everything is expensive especially between Kobe and Osaka.

Back
Top Bottom