Votes: 183 56.3%
  • will never workout

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 77 23.7%
  • What are you talking about man?

Votes: 53 16.3%

• Total voters
I have to say that I basically agree with Kinsao. Religion is one of those things that is difficult to overcome, especially when the topic of children rears its ugly head.

I do not think that I could ever be comfortable dating and especially marrying a Christian or Muslim or Jew. Any of those "one supreme being" religions leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I have to say that I basically agree with Kinsao. Religion is one of those things that is difficult to overcome, especially when the topic of children rears its ugly head.
I do not think that I could ever be comfortable dating and especially marrying a Christian or Muslim or Jew. Any of those "one supreme being" religions leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

While I would generally agree it also depends in my opinion on whether or not the people plan on continuing to practice their religion after marraige as well.

I know quite a few people that were born and raised in one faith or the other and then quit practicing their faiths after moving here to Japan. Some of them like me as well had their eyes opened to a larger world and finally realized that faith is a personal not institutionalized choice.

That is true enough. I am a spiritualist and I know that most Christian beliefs would shun me as a satanist even though I am not. I don't care what religion a person is, because their beliefs are their own and I respect everybodies beliefs, but if it is a religions that shuns me, and that person tries to change my beliefs, they can (for want of a better phrase) get lost.

Haha ill answer that Kinsao. My parents got married in the 70s of Northern Ireland with one being a Catholic the other a Protastant where obviously religion is a big thing. After my dad refused to change his religion him and the priest eventually came to an agreement that he'd not change but his children would be baptised as catholics.

I am a spiritualist and I know that most Christian beliefs would shun me as a satanist even though I am not..

Can you define spiritualist? I understood that spiritualists basically believe in the existence of the soul and an afterlife. Why would anyone think you were a satanist?

ok someone said something why beliefs are a big deal i think beliefs are a big deal because Christians believe in heaven and hell and the reason they worry about that when looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend or a husband wife relationship they worry about whether or not their partner will go on with them to heaven thats why religion is a problem!

Last edited:
Can you define spiritualist? I understood that spiritualists basically believe in the existence of the soul and an afterlife. Why would anyone think you were a satanist?

Spiritualists also believe in the ability to contact spirits. It is a belief amongst Christians that a spirit sent from God will perform it's task and then leave straight away. Any spirit that lingers is sent from Satan, therefore a person with the ability to contact spirits and talk to them continuously is doing Satans work. I don't understand it either, but it is what many Christians have said: Catholics, Mormons. Even my Gran said it... therefore I refuse to tell her about my religion. Haha.

ok someone said something why beliefs are a big deal i think beliefs are a big deal because Christians believe in heaven and hell and the reason they worry about that when looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend or a husband wife relationship they worry about whether or not their partner will go on with them to heaven thats why religion is a problem!

So not being a Christian will get you to hell? People go to heaven or hell depending on how good or bad people they were, not regarding their beliefs. They could be atheist as far as I'm concerned, as long as they follow the global moral rules, like not stealing, you get the point, they'll be fine.

Religion, for me, should not be a consideration when choosing a life partner.

Mauricio

I could not disagree more.

Listen, I was engaged to a Catholic person when I was decidedly atheist. It caused more problems than I like to say. Especially because she was adamant that any children we had should be baptized and raised Catholic and I was adamant that they not be.

Religion is very important in any relationship when people take it seriously.

I only think religion is important in a long term relationships where children are an option. If it is a person that wants to force their beliefs on a child, then I wouldn't date them anyway. I have always believed that belifs are individual and children should develop their own when presented with a wide range of them. I would date somebody of any religion as long as they agreed not to brainwash our children with their own religion.

As for a Japanese person, unless they were a different religion, I wouldn't see the problem. I am sure compromises could be made on cultural differences and I think the two parties involved could learn from each other, if willing.

Im with maushan, heaven isnt about being a catholic. I havnt been to church in along time and never went of my own free will lol but if im going to hell for that even though i lead a good life then who wants to sit next to God in heaven anyway?
Someone once wrote on the net "I dont want to go to heaven, I wont know anyone there anyway". When kids come into these types of things it gets more serious and heated but i think as long as there is understanding between the two people then it can work, if there isnt then they were never right for each other anyway. When i have kids they will be catholics. Any women that doesnt understand and respect my reasons for that can do one from day 0, especially when they dont have a religion of their own. I always thought that once they grow up they will probably be like me and not go church anyway and when that comes i wont mind at all. Its weird to talk about children but i think that when we talk about marriage and religion then we also have to talk about the next steps.

Sean

I think your kids should only be catholics if they choose that religion for themselves. Forcing your religion / ideals on somebody is what dictators do. This is not a personal attack on anybody. It is just my belief. I am sorry if I offend anybody.

:eek:) im not offended although i am considering Jihad ;oP

I get what you mean but there are alot of good things about religion being in a childs life so basically i think if we all let our kids choose then being lazy as we are no one would ever pursue it on its own. When they grow up even if we allow it or not kids will do what they want anyway. Like i said before my reasons are for non religous reasons so i cant fully get forcing a religion onto kids like making them go church each sunday and stuff liek that. Baptising kids these days is more of a family tradition rather then the parents fear of their kids going to hell but while kids cant make choices for themselves the parents will have to do what they think is best for them which is different to a dictatorship ...if only slightly :eek:P

Yeah. I get what you mean and I do agree with you. After all, I would at least attempt to get my kids to believe in my faith. I wouldn't force it upon them but it would be presented as an option. 👍 As I am the only person in my family who wasn't baptised I kind of don't get the big deal, so I am a little biased, but I do see where you are coming from. :)

Religion can be one of the biggest problems in the world, it is even said that 8 out of every 10 wars this planet has seen have been started by differences in religion. But there again there are times someones religion will stop two people being together as an item.
The only thing that I do know for certain is that when I started courting my present wife I didnt ask her what religion she was, I wanted to find out more about the music, films, television that she liked and to see if we had anything in common.

Yeah. I prefer to go about it that way (although I am only 17... but I have already dated a Pagan and a Muslim so religion doesn't bother me). Considering this forum is about Japanese coupling, I would like to add that there is a lot that the Japanese and English have in common when it comes to movies, television and music. If somebody in Japan likes Hyde, they could be introduced to Chris Cornell over here and stuff like that (not that I am comparing the two).

I think your kids should only be catholics if they choose that religion for themselves. Forcing your religion / ideals on somebody is what dictators do. This is not a personal attack on anybody. It is just my belief. I am sorry if I offend anybody.

Yet I dont think that frosty's or any one elses parents consider themselves to be dictators. It is easy to make this statement and in theory it may sound ok in practicality it is almost impossible to attain.

I know they mightn ot consider themselves as such but I just believe that forcing your religion on somebody, whether it be a child or a friend or a country, is wrong. People should come up with their own beliefs and not live according to somebody elses.

I know they mightn ot consider themselves as such but I just believe that forcing your religion on somebody, whether it be a child or a friend or a country, is wrong. People should come up with their own beliefs and not live according to somebody elses.

True, but I think, like you said before, that religion shouldbe presented as an option to the person.

Mauricio

I respect your opinion and your youth. However over the course of time peoples idea, thoughts and opinions about many things change.

Whether you will or not is something only the future can tell.

You havent come across me as a parent Obeika, Im just about to ground my daughter to her bedroom all day tomorrow. Im ruthless lol.

I have three as well.....🙂, I know where you are coming from.

Just make sure you take out the TV, DVD, CD Player, and any other distractions first.:)

I cant take out any of the electrical items in her bedroom, she has got to clean the entire room first, I dont dare step in her room in case I slip on her dirty clothes just left on top of her shiny laminate flooring...........

Back
Top Bottom