What's new

Japanese Baseball Players in the US: Yankee Stadium tonight

EdZiomek

後輩
29 Jun 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not new information, but I know for a fact that Major League Baseball in the United States has half of one eye scrutinizing Japanese and Korean baseball teams for any new stars.

Tonight, included in the crush of I think 4 home runs, it was the Yankees Hideki Matsui destroying a line drive into the upper deck seats of right field of Yankee Stadium, right next to the Komatsu advertisement.
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/media...68227&c_id=nyy

Pitchers, hitters, each month that goes by seems to add a new Japanese/Korean name to the American Major League Baseball roster.

But there was more to the story of the Yankees. I used to despise Alex Rodriguez, overpaid, underperforming. But since he came back, the Yankees have won 13 and lost 2.

It is like everyone else on the team lets Alex take all the pressure and heat and publicity, and they focused on what they did best... perform!

How can one individual be the "Straw that stirs the drink", to get everyone around him excelling? Mariano Rivera said... "We are now having fun, we were all tight at first, now we are having fun".

But the third story blows my mind. I was there tonight, outside Yankee Stadium, waiting for the client, so I could drive him home in my taxi.

Who were walking by? A whole crowd of youngsters with their adult chaperones, holding Montreal Expo signs! Singing, chanting Expo boasts, they had just attended the new Yankee stadium, celebrating their ??? end of school, or whatever, rooting for a team that wasn't even playing tonight.

That's right, the New York Yankees were playing the Baltimore Orioles, and two busloads of youngsters traveled 5 hours down from Montreal, Canada, just to enjoy attending a baseball game in Yankee Stadium, to root for their team which wasn't playing, and their city Montreal, and then the buses (Samgia Buslines, from Montreal?) drove them back the five hours!

Why is baseball so international a sensation? I guess it is one of the most memorable things you can do with your entertainment life, moments you will never forget, regardless if your team is playing or not, in any part of the world!!

Note: Send more Japanese and Korean players!

As I have been reminded, the mystery deepens in that Montreal does not have a baseball team anymore, since they moved to Washington and became the Nationals. (Yes, I am not too bright on the teams, you are right.)

So who were these wonderful Expos fans at Yankee Stadium in New York?

Back
Top Bottom