What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Japan to grant long-stay visas for wealthy visitors

mdchachi

Reaction score
Was this program rolled out? How did it go?

September 13, 2014 02:00 JST
TOKYO -- Japan will open its doors wider to wealthy travelers from all over the world starting next April, allowing them to stay for up to one year on a special long-term visa.
The government has decided to ease the rules on visas as part of its push for international tourism. Currently, most business travelers and tourists are allowed to enter the country without a visa and stay for a maximum of 90 days.
Under a plan being drawn up, foreign visitors will be given a special permit -- renewable once -- for an extended stay of up to six months, provided they hail from one of the 66 countries and regions that have reciprocal visa exemption arrangements with Japan. In addition, they must be at least 60 years of age, provide a bank certificate showing a balance of 30 million yen ($277,000) or more for a married couple and prove that they have health coverage.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score

1. Individual at the age of 18 years or older and has savings equivalent to more than 30 million Japanese yen owned by you and your spouse
  2. Accompanying spouse of the individual who is mentioned in 1 above (he or she must have the same place of residence and travel together in Japan.)
(Note) Dependent children cannot be allowed to accompany.
(Note) If your spouse wishes not to accompany you but stay separately under this scheme, you and your spouse must own savings equivalent to more than 60 million Japanese yen. The accompanying spouse (referred to in 2 above) is not required to enter Japan with the individual (referred to in 1 above), but he or she cannot enter Japan before the individual. For more details on the requirements of “accompanying spouse,” please contact the Immigration Bureau, Ministry of Justice.

Uncle Frank

SECURITY
Admin
Reaction score
I'd go searching for all my old friends in Fukuoka , find they have all died of old age and commit hara kari in my deep depression . I better stay home , LOL.

Top Bottom