What's new

Japan sumo boss fired over death

Tokis-Phoenix

先輩
23 Sep 2005
"The head of a Japanese sumo stable has been fired by the sport's national body over the treatment of a 17-year-old wrestler who died following practice.

Tokitsukaze, 57, had caused a public scandal and damaged the sport's reputation, the Sumo Association said.

He has admitted hitting trainee Tokitaizan with a bottle and working him hard before his death in June.

He is only the second stable master to be fired. It is the latest crisis to hit Japan's national sport";

Full story;

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Japan sumo boss fired over death

I don't know much about sumo, but i do know that the number of japanese wanting to become sumo wrestlers is declining and that this latest scandal in japanese sumo is unlikely to make things any better.

What do you think about japanese sumo at the moment? Do you watch it all?

I think like many traditional practices it has a place in the culture, but if they want to maintain it they're going to have to reduce incidents like this. They need to appeal to a broader audience to staunch the decline in interest, so a less heavy handed approach to the training may be in order.

I didn't make it to the actual matches when I was there, as they were quite expensive and usually took place while I was at work. However I watched them on TV quite a lot. I thought they were interesting, there is actually a lot of technique involved. The longer matches were exciting as they became a test of will and not just explosive strength. I hope sumo will find a way to become more relevant and survive!

Well, Tokis-Phoenix san, I'm not into sumo at all, basically. It is too bad that this incident has resulted in a fatality due to simply lack of real concern for a person rather than for a concept. This has happened in other areas as well, and, of course, not only here in Japan. It is ashame.

Back
Top Bottom