What's new

Japan Photos 2021

yellow dahlia.jpeg

The above flower, and this one, are both Dahlia. I was by there this morning and the owner fellow who is growing these was there working on some other potted stuff. That's close to life size, maybe a little smaller, by a cm or two.

ケイトウ. Or cockscomb in english. I think it's more of a collection of things, more like a genus than a species? Tho it may be like apples--a lot of breadth and variety within the species.

bamboo+people.jpeg

Yes, maybe 20min walk to get there. Went with daughter, son-in-law, and kids, so on that level of easy to get to. They were impressed, and we didn't even get that far in.

Not sure what they are, I found seas of yellow yesterday in the mountains and along the river. My wife promised to check her plant book.

yellow01.jpg

yellow02.jpg

Towards the summit.

tomin-no-mori.jpg

Not sure if it triggers allergies, or if it's considered invasive here, but some reports are that it somehow is not good for some bugs--ants, butterflies.

I'd consider it a weed, tho I guess one person's weed is another's flower.

The guy who grows this does a lot of different things (his wife is there, too, but only occasionally). He once explained that there were different kinds of キビ, drawing the characters on the ground with a stick. He's one of the friendlier gardeners/farmers around, and once gave me a huge hakusai. He's meticulous to a degree that other gardeners aren't--they way he lays out rows, pulls the dirt up onto negi, covers starts with netting, etc. The millet is certainly done & gone, but he has daikon and broccoli in as of a week or two ago.

Roundabout in Seiseki-Sakuragaoka

While pottering about this morning (it's a truly brilliant day today) we came across the famous roundabout in Seiseki-Sakuragaoka in Tama, Tokyo, along Irohazaka. It is one of the few roundabouts in Tokyo and was featured in the Studio Ghibli movie "Whisper of the Heart" (耳をすませば, Mimi o Sumaseba, 1995).

For the roundabouts in new zealand, it was the cars already in it that had the right of way--is it the same here?

Not much good today. A couple attempts:

green rays on red.jpeg

concept.jpeg

For the roundabouts in new zealand, it was the cars already in it that had the right of way--is it the same here?

Yes, in fact it is. And it was the first time I did a roundabout on the bicycle. :)

Back
Top Bottom