What's new

Japan may ask US to strike

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
I wonder *how* they can verify if NK is injecting fuel into their missiles. Spooky.

Japan may ask the US to strike

Japan said it could ask US forces to launch a pre-emptive strike on North Korean missile bases if Pyongyang was preparing to fire missiles at its territory.

The Director-General of the Defence Agency, Shigeru Ishiba, a cabinet minister, said that it would take "seven to eight minutes or 10 minutes at the most" for North Korean missiles to reach Japan.

"If (North Korea) starts injecting fuel (into missiles) as part of preparations after expressing its intention of throwing Japan into a sea of fire or reducing it to ashes, then it means the start of an attack," he told parliament's lower house budget committee.

Under their security pact, the defence chief added that Japan could entrust the United States with an attack on "enemy territory" while engaging itself in self-defence as a "shield".

Are they talking about nukes or "just" missiles ?

I don't like all this. Why should NK settle its problem with the US by attacking Japan ? It's an easy solution (nearer, less defences) that won't arrange anything and could lead to the total destruction of both Koreas and Japan.

Probably they were referring to missiles with nuclear warheads. If you think of it, any NK attack on South Korea or Japan would be the end of their regime, and that's exactly what they want to avoid at all costs.

A strong army can be helpful in making your point clear to other international players. At least you get heard.

Well, I have a suggestion that could be feasible. I've been thinking on these lines for years. Couldn't the US allow any healthy male Japanese national to join/merge with US forces? They would do their basic and other training at US installations. I don't mean a trickle of personel, I mean in a very large number. In appreciation for these numbers the US could give them complete citizenship, most benifits. Anything wrong with that idea?

The only advantage of a caveman having a big club, is letting the others see it. He may not be able to swing it, but it does makes a good deterrent weapon.

History does tend to repit itself. Every developing country with a paranoia (justified or not) is thinking that the way of surviving is adopting the XXth century 60-80's cold war. If in the end, one of the Super-powers couldn't continue the arms race and buckled, why do Israel, India, Pakistan and now North Korea are trying to make it work?
Pakistan was the first muslim country to get the bomb. I wonder how much time it will take for a Middle East muslim country to get one and balance again the scales?

XXI century and yet another arms race...

It's confirmed! Saddam does has weapons of mass destruction. And they are of alien origin, too. :D

Then resistance is futile, lolol....

I guess Colonel Petrokov had too much vodka.

Originally posted by dogcountry
Couldn't the US allow any healthy male Japanese national to join/merge with US forces? They would do their basic and other training at US installations. I don't mean a trickle of personel, I mean in a very large number. In appreciation for these numbers the US could give them complete citizenship, most benifits. Anything wrong with that idea?

Why would Japanese want to become American ? (especially that they'd lose their Japanese nationality, as Japan doesn't accept dual nationality).

Japan already has its Self-Defence Forces which already is like a regular army (at least their navy and air force). They could attack NK if they wanted, but not occupy it without US support.

I wonder how long we must continue to play 'a Koshi-ginchaku' of the US..?
I'm daily disappointed with the silly bureaucracy of Japan...
I'm getting to feel like retiring from being a Japanese.. ;-(
though I love its unique culture.
does anybody want mine..? :p

Back
Top Bottom