What's new

J-pop vs J-rock

Seon-a Kim

김선아
24 Oct 2006
I have noticed that there are tons of topics about rock, but none or few about pop (the few ones are pretty inactive or dead)... so how come people here tend to like rock more then pop?

I know everyone has their own taste, but it is just that almost any member here just likes or talks about J-rock and I was wondering if there was a reason/link to the community in general and the choice of music.

I like rock to, but overall I like J-pop artists more and I kind of feel lonely in here :(

I think Rock music in general has a larger fanbase because pop music is still viewed as disposable.
I find rock music suits my personal tastes better but I still listen to pop music if I like it.
For instanse, I simply adore KAT-TUN but if it came to choosing who to see live, i'd probably choose Moi dix Mois.😊

Awww Ayu... *hugs*

I just happen to listen to more J-rock because rock music is one of my favourite music genres anyway. :haihai: There are some pop songs I like, but in general I'm just not so keen on pop - just a personal taste thing I guess.

I love both! I'm becoming obsessed with Jpop now! I love Morning Musume and W (My favourite jpop group!!!!! <33s Nono-chan). I'll try to post in the Jpop threads ^___^

well... to answer you question...

japanese rock bands, as i'm sure you've noticed, have a very spacific style in general... the VK fashion is a huge thing in the Jrock fanbase, and i think in general it attracts a lot more attention. a lot of people come one here and comment about the fact that nearly all the bands we talk on and on about on here are visual, and there's very little mention of the other bands...
i don't think i've ever see a thread on B'z, every little thing or do as infinity on the top page of the posting borads for more than a week.... and they are possibly THE largest guys in the biz in Japan... Ayumi Hamasaki is in a leuge of her own, much as Gackt, but he has the visual aspect and the fanservice...

anyways, basically, what i'm saying is the rock bands tend to give you more to talk about, ne?
... eh... am i making sence? i think i'm just babbling ^^;

but yeah, basically... i think most people on here are talking about Jrock more than pop because there's simply more to say.... also on the whole Jrock fans tend to be the sort of people who would take the initiative to learn about something, and make fansites and such... so the info on Jrock bands is a lot more readily available...

i personally am a huge fan of both genres....

the other day i was commenting to my friend how my play list give a whole new meaning to the word 'random' when it whent from 12012 (heavey metal VK band) to Arashi (happy pop boy band)

actually i'm listning to arshi right now... god i love those boys 😊

anyways, i'll shut up now cos i talk to much ^^;

hm I'd agree with furan... cause Jrock bands has something that other countries' rock bands don't have and it's not only vk... and pop is everywhere almost the same... :) though I like Jpop and Jrock almost equally :)

I absolutely LOVE Jrock. The jpop bands now are just so much like Kpop bands... I mean I used to be into that but now its just sounds all the same to me now. I like to listen to old Jpop tho. But as for now adays idk...

Welll (this is just a lil cringy) but I fell head first for BTS (I literally tried to buy as much merch as I could because I loved them so much). At first they had this lil thing going on where they were a lil edgy and had a rap feel to them. And then I fell more in love with them during their blood sweat and tears time because they had the dark feel to them but still had them good beats. Other bands like Exo and Big Bang I could say the same for. I don't listen to them much anymore tho but on rare occasions I will go back to those hippy BTS songs😂😂😂

BTS's Dynamite was an earworm for sure. They just released Butter... sounds good, video's good. It'll be another earworm I think.
Seventeen is trying to break into Japan and getting tiny bit of traction, I think.

I like both J Pop and Rock, though Ive been getting to know more stuff just recently

About KPop yeah they are getting (and trying) more attention in Japan, Seventeen has been succeeding too;
But I coffess there are few RECENT songs of them I like, and I dont know much of their FIRST works, but I prefer some of their songs from a few years ago than the ones from last year and on for example, and yeah overall it all has been more generic Pop

I really hope Japanese artists somehow focus on streaming platforms too, this way they can spread a little.more to.the world, all their effort is mostly to succeed on Japan, but in a globalized era and with Internet, they would be way more benefited if trying to reach other countries too, and they have some advantage with Anime so maybe they could do it

I really wish the Pokemon theme songs this year had AT LEAST 1 Japanese artist, cmon at least 1

While I liked both Post Malones and Katy Perrys (mainly hers!), I think it would be better to have a J at least featured in, I love Pokemon really but with their global influence they could help a little the Japanese Music. But ok

Back
Top Bottom