What's new

Is the immigration policy strict in Japan

lok737

先輩
19 Oct 2006
As the problem of aging population, does the Japanese government offer some competitive immigratoin policy for the foreigners?

That's true. But they'd loosen the requirement if you are married to the japanese nationals. I heard that after staying 5 years, they loosen the requirement for the citizenship, but maybe someone who has already obtained the citizenship can tell better?

I think the question you should be asking yourselves is if Japan has any sort of work-related immigration program, the way countries such as England, Australia, and even France who shares some of Japan's distaste for foreigners do. The answer is no. Japan does not have any sort of skilled migration program and has not seemed to indicate that it will, ever.

Getting there and staying there is all well & good if you marry your way in--- but getting there and staying there as a skilled worker is much more difficult it seems.

I don't know if the policy is more or less strict, it's hard some times to make these comparisons, I think that it may be similar to other countries, but the opportunities for foreigners in Japan pale in comparison.

Last edited:
Good clarification Yukio, though I would Japan compares poorly to most other countries in that category. Even for regular immigration, it remains very low and is primarily Asian females marrying older Japanese men.

Well before I could have my student visa, I had to post them a picture of my lungs. I think thats pretty strict.

Immigration policy is strict not just in Japan but all over the world now. Partly coz of 9-11, party because of previous immigration policies and mosty because of domestic economy or politics

Its strict.

I think Japan would prefer an economic crash before even considoring making its immigration policies more friendly towards large numbers of skilled workers arriving to fill its labour shortage.

Mrjones, when I moved to California having got a green card, I had to bring an x-ray of my lungs too.

It's not strict to move to Ireland. Just show up!

Japan is not opening its doors wide to the world....it's still just talking through the intercom!!
Nothing puts them at ease more than the sight of a return ticket!!

If I wanted to get a studying visa in Japan, weuld it be soooooooo hard and would they reject me for no reason or not ?!

Question here....have you actually attempted to apply for a student visa? If you applied to an accredited school and got accepted the odds of you being ok'd for a student visa increase dramatically.

Why do you think immigration would reject you?

Nothing puts them at ease more than the sight of a return ticket!!

That is one of the requirments for a tourist visa btw.

I think Japan would prefer an economic crash before even considoring making its immigration policies more friendly towards large numbers of skilled workers arriving to fill its labour shortage.

Have you ever read the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website that deals with immigration to Japan?

MOFA (Ministry Of Foreign Affairs Japan Homepage

Japan is regularly looking for skilled workers. Problem is the workers they want must be able to speak. read and write Japanese.

Which I think is a no-brainer. :) Do you think Scotland would want to allow immigrants from Japan as skilled workers that couldn't read, write or speak English?

The following may be a bit off topic here but I would like to know why people assume that Japan or any country for that matter should accept foreign workers that can not speak, or understand the country's language in the first place.

What is the motivation behind that? That doesn't just apply to Japan but any country.

Well before I could have my student visa, I had to post them a picture of my lungs. I think thats pretty strict.

Really that isn't as invasive as you may think. Have you ever heard of the disease ナ停?ケナ?j, 窶堋ッ窶堙≫?堋ゥ窶堋ュ, or tuberculosis. Japan is not the only country that requires chest x-rays for certain visa's btw.

TB has not been 100% eradicated from the world and it is one seriously nasty and deadly disease. That is the reason for the chest xray.

Did you know that TB is the second most deadly disease in the world even today? TB Still World's Number Two Killer

TB is highly contagious, and deadly. Can't blame immigration for wanting to protect the population of Japan from TB now can you?

If the powers that be in Japan are smart they'll loosen immigration policies in the near future. With its rapidly aging population and declining birthrate, Japan will find itself in a huge need for workers to keep everything running, and I don't see how they'll find enough without bringing them in from other countries.

But of course, seeing as how Japan has one of the tightest and xenophobic immigration policies in the world, it's unlikely to change. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I Don't think it's a bad idea asking for X-rays

when I applied for ( MEXT ) and the visa they gave a list of things
I need to bring ( X-rays...Blood tests ... ( and the nasty two cups too😌 )

I think they ask you too maney things to see how far are you going to go
with this JUST to Japan :)

and I proudly say I DID IT ! 👍

It all depends upon your basis of comparision. It is strict when compared to Canada, but easy when compared to the United States. I currently live in the US and am planning to return to Japan in the very near future. Here, I have met literally dozens of people who, despite having good education, cannot get their PR visas. Unlike Japan, you need to get PR to get citizenship. You also in most liklihood will need a lawyer for both processes (costing thousands of US dollars). And still nothing is guaranteed.

BTW, it is now very hard to get an H1B working visa and even if you do it is all but impossible to get sponsored for PR. This is regardless of what any prospective employer may promise you. Be forewarned.

H1B visa is not for Japan, so why even mention it here?

And, why bring up the topic a full year after the most recent (June 2007) post?

But, as long as you brought it up...
I currently live in the US and am planning to return to Japan in the very near future. Here, I have met literally dozens of people who, despite having good education, cannot get their PR visas. Unlike Japan, you need to get PR to get citizenship. You also in most liklihood will need a lawyer for both processes (costing thousands of US dollars). And still nothing is guaranteed.
Get your terminology straight first. PR is not a visa type. It is a status of residence. I have it.

Second, why do you insist on discussing US-related visa issues and citizenship there, when the topic was about Japan's immigration process?

H1B visa is not for Japan, so why even mention it here?

And, why bring up the topic a full year after the most recent (June 2007) post?

But, as long as you brought it up...

Get your terminology straight first. PR is not a visa type. It is a status of residence. I have it.

Second, why do you insist on discussing US-related visa issues and citizenship there, when the topic was about Japan's immigration process?

My replies.

!. Guess what, PR IS a visa type. Ask any immigration lawyer. It IS A VISA and it can just as easily be taken away from you. So please get YOUR terminology straight first.

2. To put things in perspective.

Sorry, but you and your lawyers are wrong. Many people use this incorrect terminology, even for real visas.

A visa is:
"an indication of the judgement that a foreigner wishing to enter Japan should be appropriate to enter and stay in Japan."
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/01.html#b1

The visa itself is canceled upon entry into the country (emphasis is not mine, but MOFA's):
"Landing permission is stamped in a foreigner's passport by immigration officers at the airport or seaport where he or she goes through immigration procedures. It is this landing permission, not a visa, that serves as the legal basis for the foreigner's stay in Japan. A visa is only a recommendation and does not automatically guarantee landing permission."

Japan has seven categories of visas. Note that Permanent Resident is not one of them.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/03.html#categories

Note here that Permanent Resident is clearly listed as "NO VISA GIVEN" (uppercase emphasis is MOFA's). "2. Statuses of residence without restrictions on activities in Japan"
Note also that PR is indefinite; that is, it does not have an expiration date like a visa does.

A more complete description of PR can be found here at the Immigration web site.
Immigration Services Agency of Japan
"The status of permanent residence is granted when certain conditions have been satisfied by foreign nationals who reside in Japan under another status of residence and who have applied for change of status of residence to permanent residence or by those who have applied to acquire status of residence due to birth or renouncement of Japanese nationality.
If a foreign resident is authorized to stay in Japan on a permanent basis, he/she will stay in Japan with the status of residence "Permanent Resident." The status of residence "Permanent Resident" provides much more advantageous treatments than other statuses of residence because it does not limit the status holder's activities or period of stay...
"

Lawyers and even some immigration officials incorrectly use the term visa a lot. It helps explain things a little more easily to the layman sometimes. One does not renew a visa, for example. One extends the status of residence. However, go to the immigration office, and you will both talk about renewing a visa, when clearly the forms (and some officials there) use other more appropriate terminology. In the case of PR, there is nothing to extend or renew, however.

As for PR being as easy to take away as a visa, I will beg to differ. You'll have to explain that more thoroughly, but I still think it is a weak argument.

Trust me on this. I've been answering visa-related questions for over 10 years and I have PR status. I've also come on a work visa and had a "spouse visa". This is not to flaunt anything; I just want you to realize that terminology is often misused, and I think lawyers are notorious for that in any type of law practice. It's their job.

Right!

I believe that Japan's immigration policy has greatly improved since the Edo period. Now they don't kill foreigners or Japanese or have been abroad anymore !

True. Just like the US no longer brings in African slaves or restricts immigration to white Anglo Saxon protestants while killing off its native population. Yes, the world has improved!

I think the question you should be asking yourselves is if Japan has any sort of work-related immigration program, the way countries such as England, Australia, and even France who shares some of Japan's distaste for foreigners do. The answer is no. Japan does not have any sort of skilled migration program and has not seemed to indicate that it will, ever.

Getting there and staying there is all well & good if you marry your way in--- but getting there and staying there as a skilled worker is much more difficult it seems.

I don't know if the policy is more or less strict, it's hard some times to make these comparisons, I think that it may be similar to other countries, but the opportunities for foreigners in Japan pale in comparison.

I think you are being too hard on Japan. It is today much easier to get a working visa here than in the US where I currently live. In America nowadays the only way in is through marriage or relative sponsor. Getting work visa and then changing to PR is all but impossible now.

Obama says he will make things better. So does Minshuto in Japan and some LDP politicians that are calling for greatly increased immigration. Let us see if all this will really change.

Foreigners in Japan have great opportunities if they know the language well, but since most don't their opportunities are not that great. That is also changing however.

Japan's population is shrinking so I believe that the government will have no choice but to increase immigration. In the US the Democrats want more to come in, but the Republicans are adamantly against it.

This year we have major elections coming in both countries. As I said before, let us see what happens.

Last edited:
Thanks

Sorry, but you and your lawyers are wrong. Many people use this incorrect terminology, even for real visas.
A visa is:
"an indication of the judgement that a foreigner wishing to enter Japan should be appropriate to enter and stay in Japan."
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/01.html#b1
The visa itself is canceled upon entry into the country (emphasis is not mine, but MOFA's):
"Landing permission is stamped in a foreigner's passport by immigration officers at the airport or seaport where he or she goes through immigration procedures. It is this landing permission, not a visa, that serves as the legal basis for the foreigner's stay in Japan. A visa is only a recommendation and does not automatically guarantee landing permission."
Japan has seven categories of visas. Note that Permanent Resident is not one of them.
Note here that Permanent Resident is clearly listed as "NO VISA GIVEN" (uppercase emphasis is MOFA's). "2. Statuses of residence without restrictions on activities in Japan"
Note also that PR is indefinite; that is, it does not have an expiration date like a visa does.
A more complete description of PR can be found here at the Immigration web site.
Immigration Services Agency of Japan
"The status of permanent residence is granted when certain conditions have been satisfied by foreign nationals who reside in Japan under another status of residence and who have applied for change of status of residence to permanent residence or by those who have applied to acquire status of residence due to birth or renouncement of Japanese nationality.
If a foreign resident is authorized to stay in Japan on a permanent basis, he/she will stay in Japan with the status of residence "Permanent Resident." The status of residence "Permanent Resident" provides much more advantageous treatments than other statuses of residence because it does not limit the status holder's activities or period of stay...
"
Lawyers and even some immigration officials incorrectly use the term visa a lot. It helps explain things a little more easily to the layman sometimes. One does not renew a visa, for example. One extends the status of residence. However, go to the immigration office, and you will both talk about renewing a visa, when clearly the forms (and some officials there) use other more appropriate terminology. In the case of PR, there is nothing to extend or renew, however.
As for PR being as easy to take away as a visa, I will beg to differ. You'll have to explain that more thoroughly, but I still think it is a weak argument.
Trust me on this. I've been answering visa-related questions for over 10 years and I have PR status. I've also come on a work visa and had a "spouse visa". This is not to flaunt anything; I just want you to realize that terminology is often misused, and I think lawyers are notorious for that in any type of law practice. It's their job.
Thank you for taking the time to teach me. I greatly appreciate it.

Have you not heard of the Skilled Labor or Trainee visa?
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/04.html

Skilled Labor work visa
3 years or 1 year
Activities to engage in service that requires industrial techniques or skills belonging to special fields on the basis of a contract with a public or private organization in Japan. Applicants must fulfill certain conditions concerning personal history and work status.

Trainee work visa
1 year or 6 months
Activities to learn and acquire technology, skills, or knowledge at public or private organizations in Japan (including not only training in industrial techniques and skills but also administrative training in local governments and other public bodies and clerical training to acquire knowledge).

More info here. Nice historical recap.
http://japanfocus.org/products/details/2559
Here's a noteworthy snippet:
In 1990, the GOJ revised its Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Law to give "trainees" (gijutsu jisshuusei) one-year visas. Under this status, they were not legally considered "workers", so were exempt from Japanese labor laws. This meant they would not be given wages but a mandated "stipend" of 60,000 yen per month, far below the minimum wage. Moreover, employers would not be required to pay for the basic entitlements guaranteed every other person working full-time hours in Japan: minimum wage, health and unemployment insurance, annual bonus or retirement stipend. Employers were supposed to supply trainees with a full year's training in skill sets, as well as Japanese language and culture. If the trainees were sufficiently diligent, they would be given one- or two-year extensions in their visa as "interns" (kenkyuusei), with more labor rights and higher salaries.

By 1993, it was clear to employers that employing trainees was cheaper than interns, so a new visa status of "practical trainees" (ginou jisshuusei) basically extended "trainee" work conditions for two more years.

Back
Top Bottom