What's new

Should JAPAN be selective about asylum and immigration?

You seem to have a very skewed version of America and how it actually is

First off denial is not going to get you anywhere. Its a fact. You seem to have a skewede version of USA. Denial mechanism.

So and so country is older so that excuses any 'non-immigrant' sentiments they may have.

YES. Because that country has history and culture unlike USA and Canada.

So it's okay for the Japanese to eventually die out just so long as they don't become like the US? What kind of argument is that?

I dont think Japan will die out. Thats my point but they dont need to become like especially USA for Japan to survive.

@ Glenski, no I don't like that people who are not citizens (HINT) want to change MY country. I would hate for that to happen to Japan, but I am not Japanese so who am I to say that anyway. America isn't a melting pot, I would say a soup. We are all different bits floating in the same broth, but we certainly don't melt together and blend. That's why we have China Towns, Mexican neighborhoods, gated communities based on wealth and status. We have more of a coexistence attitude, for the most part. There are times when that breaks down and there is violence along racial/ethnic and political lines. We don't all get along and melt all the time.

Last edited:
What is there to explain?

I gave an argument to statements you had made and in response you choose a few lines of what I had said and responed with nothing.

What do you have to back up your claim that I am in denial about what the US is like? Have you lived there or even visited for any length of time? Like I said, the image you were portraying is a gross over-exagerration. The majority of the black community doesn't live in Harlem-like areas and it's ridiculous to suggest it.

And you keep saying that America and Canada has no culture. Please, I invite you to give me evidence of this because, having lived in both countries, I can say I've never seen this cultural void you seem so focused on. In fact, it seems that our culture has been exported across the world, our clothes, music, transportation, technology, medicines, politics, human rights ideals, standards of living and even our entertainment...the list goes on.
How would this be possible if we had no culture?

But I agree with you on the last point. Japan wont die out and it doesn't need to become like the US....but then again, who's asking them to be?

US is not a melting pot. You have big getthoes where African Americans live in 3rd world conditions with a soaring crime rate...blah blah blah
As Madame P pointed out, you are out of touch with reality. Yes, ghettoes exist and some people are segregated. However, you can't deny the fact that the majority of people are not of one national heritage. Simply because the country was founded by immigrants and they intermingled for a couple of centuries, people's backgrounds are from more than one country. Take myself just as one example. My family has roots from almost 10 countries. That is a melting pot.

If this trend continues there will be no people left in Japan but this means that this trend has to continue for a couple of centuries so Japan will manage with or without immigrants.
Again, you just don't get it. A country is not like a bacterial culture plate. Long before the last person dies according to an actuarial chart, there won't be enough food or resources to support them. So, those centuries are not what you think they are.

Globalization to me is when a country wages war on countries to be able to rape the country for natural resources.
Thank you for this interesting revelation. I thought waging war was called war. My dictionary has a different meaning for globalization, but you clearly refuse to believe in it.

As Madame P pointed out, you are out of touch with reality. Yes, ghettoes exist and some people are segregated. However, you can't deny the fact that the majority of people are not of one national heritage. Simply because the country was founded by immigrants and they intermingled for a couple of centuries, people's backgrounds are from more than one country. Take myself just as one example. My family has roots from almost 10 countries. That is a melting pot.

Yes I am not in touch with your reality. Yes simply because the country was founded on immigrants it has a different dynamics.

Thank you for this interesting revelation. I thought waging war was called war. My dictionary has a different meaning for globalization, but you clearly refuse to believe in it.

Only US wages war due to globalization but go ahead turn up your denial mechanism simply because you are out of touch with your own reality.

Last edited:
centrajapan,
First you say the USA is not a melting pot.
That has been proven false.

I don't disagree with you that Japan and the USA have different dynamics (partly) because the USA was "founded on[sic] immigrants", but I notice now that you have not tried arguing further about melting pot. Good. At least we're clear on that point and are living in the same reality for that part.

However, you define globalization as waging war, then in your last post you say the US wages war due to globalization. Two different things. Learn the difference.

@ Glenski, no I don't like that people who are not citizens (HINT) want to change MY country.
Well, then you ignore how the country was founded.

I would hate for that to happen to Japan, but I am not Japanese so who am I to say that anyway.
A human with human rights no matter where one lives. Apparently that is not enough for you.

America isn't a melting pot, I would say a soup. We are all different bits floating in the same broth, but we certainly don't melt together and blend.
So, any children you have are either Japanese or American, then? Sorry, your analogy doesn't wash, especially the way you describe it. Yes, some areas remain segregated in various ways, but many others have actually "melted", blended, and combined peacefully enough. Perhaps the atmosphere is different where you live. If you are from Wisconsin, I'm surprised to hear you say any of the above, since I'm also from the midwest and have a different outlook.

However, you define globalization as waging war, then in your last post you say the US wages war due to globalization. Two different things. Learn the difference.

You are right here. Its different US and Japan. Ill stop this Japan rules US sucks talk. They both have good and bad sides. The dynamics of discrimination is different too.

Japan should defenitly start accepting new immigrants (from non-asian countries as well), not even because of the rapidly aging and shrinking population but as an effort to move into the 21st century. Japans unwillingness to accept foreigners is not only going to hurt it's economy in the future but is also going to make it ever more alienated from the rest of the modern world that has accepted and, in many more ways than not, made immigration work. Not only that, but it will bring new ideas, creativity and perspectives to the country rather than letting it become a static society that slowly stagnates under it's own unwillingness to change.
It's been stated again and again and again that "Japan is not like the US, they're not a melting pot ect". Japan is one of least culturally diverse first world nation so there's almost no chance of that happening, but it seems like Japan is doing everything in it's power to head the issue off at the pass when, so far, the possibility isn't even there. They are jumping to conclussion about what might happen if they allowed more immigrants, fearing turning into another US or Canada.
I know there is a resistance of change and conflict but, honestly, is Japan such a delicate flower that they would crumble and die at the first major conflict? Methinks not. The only problem really lies with the Japanese people themselves. I don't know what they've seen of the US or Canada that makes them so scared of turning into a multi-cultural society (maybe someone living in Japan could tell me) but I'm sure that wont be the case.

What they have seen in the US and Canada over the last 40 years is precisely what they dont want madamepapillion. to a westerner who has been mired in the modern progressive american culture and these values it is utterly inexplicable that they would not want to become like us. What is wrong with them anyway to not want to become like us ? We like to think of ourselves as the farsighted ones.

Japan is not a delicate flower but she does know what it means to be defeated and the harmony of the people of this society on this tiny little island has been the key to her success. Her people could probably brave the conflicts, the racial tensions, the resentments, the inertia, the ennui and the violence of American inner city high schools if they had to. Her people might be able to but up with identity politics and negative propaganda aimed at the majority population in order to assimilate new minority populations. Her people might be able to put up with ineffective school boards and city councils mired in racial antagonisms and identity politics. Her people might be able to put up with a steady stream of anti racist propaganda and even affirmitive action aimed at empowering new ethnic populations. Her people might be able to be sent to sensitivity training classes where the pains and difficulties of the new populations are expressed and even the Japanese male and japanese person might eventually and in some quarters become an object of scorn and ridicule who is standing in the way of the advancement of other ethnicities and peoples. They too could have their al sharptons, louis farakahns, and la razas. But why would they want this ?

What we have seen in America and Canada over the last 40 years is not that encouraging to be honest. The Japanese I suspect do not see their advantage in following our example. We need to actually be a "good example" before we can expect the whole world to follow suit. What we have built in america over the last 40 years in part, the downside, is an angry befuddled confused often violent mass built over a hollow pit of meaninglessness. There have been upsides too however... I won't neglect that... I merely would like to punch a hole in the "rebecca of sunnybrook farms" interpretation, once and for all, of modern multi-cultural society al la american.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom