What's new

Is Japanese etiquette the same on Social Media?

No.R.in.JPN

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Essentially I heard that foreigners can easily be politely isolated from Japanese society. If they aren't willing to fit in for the most part. Not only that, but it is rare for a Japanese person. To ever tell you when you are doing something wrong. Just wondering does the same rules apply to social media or is the culture more liberal in this area?

Foreigners typically do a wonderful job excluding themselves before the Japanese ever get a chance at excluding them, although they prefer to place the blame in the Japanese.

Why do you ask?

Foreigners typically do a wonderful job excluding themselves before the Japanese ever get a chance at excluding them, although they prefer to place the blame in the Japanese.

Why do you ask?
I'm trying to figure out how one would act on social media in Japanese culture. In american culture it is just a free for all. Same thing when it comes to real life. But it seems Japan values harmony.

Japanese is a very context-driven language and culture, with multiple layers of politeness.

Despite widespread belief to the contrary, the Japanese people are not all cookie-cutter automatons with no individual personalities. Different people have different characters and different senses of propriety and will behave differently, and they are just as susceptible to the temptations that go with net anonymity as are any other people anywhere on the planet.

That means you will find the full range....from people who maintain their classiness both online and offline to people who are boorish both online and offline and every other permutation you can imagine.

You can either be true to your own character online or you can pretend to be anyone you want to be....that's as true of the the Japanese as it is of Americans or anyone else.

I can not speak for everyone, but from my point of view there is more "freedom" for them on the internet and social media.

Althought, there are some people... who... lets say, take it too far. (If you want to know what I am talking about, visit 2chan [not 2channel nor 2ch])

Japanese etiquette on social media generally aligns with traditional cultural values of respect, humility, and discretion. Politeness and indirect communication are emphasized, with users often refraining from direct criticism or confrontation. Additionally, maintaining harmony within online communities is valued, so individuals typically exercise caution in their interactions, avoiding controversial topics and prioritizing group harmony over personal opinions. Overall, Japanese social media etiquette mirrors offline customs, emphasizing respect and social cohesion.

Japanese etiquette on social media generally aligns with traditional cultural values of respect, humility, and discretion. Politeness and indirect communication are emphasized, with users often refraining from direct criticism or confrontation. Additionally, maintaining harmony within online communities is valued, so individuals typically exercise caution in their interactions, avoiding controversial topics and prioritizing group harmony over personal opinions. Overall, Japanese social media etiquette mirrors offline customs, emphasizing respect and social cohesion.

Thank you for enlightening us, Bing Copilot.

I was wondering if you would go on 2ちゃんねる and let them know.

Why do people think 2ちゃんねる is still a thing?

It's a relic of a past age, just like me. I find it hilarious when non-native learners think that 2ちゃん is "the Japanese internet" despite the fact that 99.9999% of the Japanese content creators out there are just on YouTube, Twitch, Twitter,, Facebook, TikTok, whatever.

2ちゃん (now 4ちゃん) is just a niche community like any non-centralized internet service these days. Yeah, the internet was more fun in the old days, but if some old loser like me says that, then what is there to gain? Well, nothing, that's what.

This is quite a steaming load. I've seen some awful online bullying in Japanese. It seems like anonymity is a bit like alcohol, especially in Japan: people use it as a shield to say what they want and be free of consequences, so they won't hesitate to tell you or random strangers to go die.

Does anyone remember 電車男 (densha otoko/train man)? I feel like that was the peak of 2-chan's public image, because it was portrayed as a supportive network of diverse regular people helping this guy come out of his shell and flourish. I wonder if that was before or after it was taken over by Jim Watkins who later fostered the Qanon movement and mobilized all the worst parts of the internet.

I was in Nagoya last fall and stumbled upon a TikTok event, filled with "influencers" running around filming everything trying to generate content. It was disturbing.

I still think the height of internet culture is bulletin boards and forums like this one. Honestly. Social media did not improve on this formula, it just capitalized on it which made it objectively worse

Back
Top Bottom