What's new

Is Japan an atheist country?

Most of Japanese I've known are atheist, but in some kind of way, they also believe that everything in the universe has a god in it.

i wouldnt think Japan is an atheist country, Shinto and Buddhism are very important

I find it difficult to generalise on such a topic. I have encountered the whole range of attitudes from pious to indifferent. However many would come under Confucius's approach. He said, "respect the gods but keep them at a distance". Many westerners would share such an attitude, perhaps rephrased as,"Respect god but keep him at a distance".

I think the Japanese in general have a unique kind of 'spirituality' about their relationship to religion and the traditions of Shintoism & Buddhism - that's the best word I can come up with anyway.

From the Japanese I know well enough to gauge their 'religiousness' I would say that most of them were not very concerned about religious doctrines and very pragmatic about how they followed the traditions.
This includes both extremes ... from my agnostic wife to oldest Japanese friend who is a practising Buddhist priest.

4a51dc18.jpeg

Muho Noelke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
。。。。。。。。。。。

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom