What's new

I probably don't belong here?

WynLin

Registered
11 Oct 2020
Ancestry dot com does not have a lot of Japanese or for that matter Chinese references. Currently, I'm focusing on Japanese but there is a small branch from China in the family.
I joined this site because I plugged in two ancestors names and the words marriage records. This site was shown to me - and I thought from my initial preview - I could use this site to search records. Understand - I'm looking for records from the very late 1800 and possibly early 1900. Mostly, just looking for birth, marriage records to confirm these members in the family tree - apparently no one but me has any interest in our history.

So long story short - now that I'm on here - I see it's more like a "everything Japan" kinda site - not exactly a wiki - but could be. :) Should I give up - or am I just really bad at searching through JRef?

Thanks in advance!
Wynne

You're correct in that there are no genealogy records here. But if you need advice on anything Japan, this is the right place. Unfortunately Japanese family records are not public and not on indexed familysearch for instance. Of course if they immigrated to America you should have some info about them via the usual sources.
It sounds like you've confirmed a China branch in your family but what is the connection with Japan?

I think she's referring to the results of a DNA test (from Ancestry). Note to Wynne, most every Japanese person's DNA results will show some presence of DNA originating from China or Korea.

Japanese municipal authorities keep Japanese family registers (koseki tohon), and these records can go back to the 1800s. These are the documents that include marriages, births, deaths. If any of your relatives remained in Japan, then there may be some record of your ancestors that is accessible through the relatives who remained here. Unfortunately, as mentioned by mdchachi, these are not public records, and require some kind of identification documents in order for you to get access to them. You cannot just show up to the city hall and ask to browse through family records.

An avenue that may be open to you is a private investigator. If you know where you family originated from, and know the names, a private investigator may be able to search locally.

I guess I over explained. I have ancestor 1 who immigrated to Hawaii. I have her birthdate, arrival date, everything I need on her except the specific province? Village? Town? She was born in, but definitely Japan. I have her parents names but no further info on them. I don't believe they immigrated unless it was way after ancestor 1 settled in. But given the large number of mistakes record keepers make when it comes to Japanese and German names I can't find any info I feel I can trust. I was hoping to find Ancestor 1's parents birth/marriage, city, death, anything to bring me closer.

You guys answered my question, though. :) I'll stay on here because I may have more questions. I always do when I get fascinated by something.

I guess I over explained. I have ancestor 1 who immigrated to Hawaii. I have her birthdate, arrival date, everything I need on her except the specific province? Village? Town? She was born in, but definitely Japan. I have her parents names but no further info on them. I don't believe they immigrated unless it was way after ancestor 1 settled in. But given the large number of mistakes record keepers make when it comes to Japanese and German names I can't find any info I feel I can trust. I was hoping to find Ancestor 1's parents birth/marriage, city, death, anything to bring me closer.

You guys answered my question, though. :) I'll stay on here because I may have more questions. I always do when I get fascinated by something.
What year did she arrive? Did you check for her arrival record? If it exists it should show hometown. How about naturalization (if she bothered to get naturalized)?
If you can identify her home town you'll have a better chance.

Back
Top Bottom