What's new

How to type kanji with furigana???

forspank

後輩
11 Jun 2004
こんにちわ みんなさん

Anyone here know how to write kanji with furigana in my computer, I have the Global IME for japanese but I don't know if this can be done
For example is there some way to write 元気 and having the reading display by itself, anyway I was just wondering if this can be done

また ね!

I don't think that it can be done with VB code, and if there is a way to do it in Word or Office, etc. then I don't know about it. :( :sorry:

Hmm, should be that you just set the language to japanese, change it to hiragana, then hit the space bar and it should scroll you through the Kanji choices.

(Doh, sorry misread your question :( )

Right now when I need it I just type the reading in the line up and change the size of the characther so it looks like it's actual furigana, but it gets forever to do so with even small texts

This is ridiculous

Emoni said:
Wait, that was what he meant? (I'm in idiot mode today... lol)

No, sorry. What happened was that I posted a resonse to your response, and then you edited your response, so I then edited mine. My original response was that he wanted to know about furigana, or ruby tags.

forspank said:
Right now when I need it I just type the reading in the line up and change the size of the characther so it looks like it's actual furigana, but it gets forever to do so with even small texts

Yeah, but how do you get it over the orginal text?

Last edited:
Yes it would. However, it seems that there is some logistical problem with enabling it on this forum, because I requested it some time ago and I still haven't heard anything about it.

Yes, I can see furigana being EXTREMELY helpful on the forums, especially in the learning Japanese sections.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't considered at all with IME.

Glenn said:
Yes it would. However, it seems that there is some logistical problem with enabling it on this forum, because I requested it some time ago and I still haven't heard anything about it.
There are probably several problems not the least of which is browser support. When I last checked Internet Explorer was still the only browser to support the <ruby> tag.

There are other problems. for example of you want furigana you have to enter furigana as well. A system to 'guess' what the furigana is wouldn't be 100% accurate and a system based on original input letters would (it seems) involve a very complicated set up on the client side. And still not be 100% accurate*.

* Because people do things like enter the wrong kana to get the right kanji when they remember the kanji but not the actual reading of the word.

PaulTB said:
* Because people do things like enter the wrong kana to get the right kanji when they remember the kanji but not the actual reading of the word.

This is true, but I believe that we can consider the source in such situations. I always check words that I don't know with the dictionary at goo, anyway, so any wrong readings will be apparent to me (if the word is in there). But if one was to see furigana on some kanji written by a beginner, I would suspect that he would take it with a grain of salt, unless he knew for sure that it was either right or wrong. If one were to see furigana in text written by a Japanese, then he could assume that it is correct. As far as I know, the Japanese are much better about spellings/readings than are the average English speaker. Just look around these fora for evidence of that, or anywhere on the internet, really.

Last edited:
Furigana with MS WOrd

You can add furigana to kanji in MS Word through a feature called the "Phonetic Guide". You can access it from the "Format" dropdown menu and then choose "Asian Layout". I have Microsoft Word 2002 and it is available with that and I think some earlier versions as well. It is part of the MS Word "Proofing Tools".

It is pretty useful, and you can even create webpages by using MS Word. I used Word to create my webpage. You can see examples below.

Japanese & More Blog | Japanese Language, Bible, and Other Eclectic Things

Gerald

Back
Top Bottom