What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

How to say Lockdown

PatPaul

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello, I want to explain to my wife that Canada is under "Lockdown" due to the Coronavirus19, but when I did a search on Jisho.org for a translation I was given the word "fusa," which is blockade. Is there a better word?

PatPaul

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
According to Mrs Lothor, it's 外出禁止 (gaishutsu kinshi), the four kanji literally meaning that going out is forbidden.
I guess that カナダは外国禁止です would be understood.

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
Those aren't the same word. Surely the second is a typo for カナダは外出禁止です (kanada wa gaishutsu kinshi desu)
Sorry, didn't read what I wrote. Thanks.

mdchachi

Reaction score
Here's an example news item about California which is locked down (can't leave one's house except for certain reasons).

カリフォルニア州で外出禁止令 「人口6割感染」おそれ
朝日新聞デジタル1584

米カリフォルニア州のニューサム知事は19日、新型コロナウイルスの感染拡大を防止するため、同日夜から全州民が自宅にとどまるよう求める命令を出すと発表した。同州の人口は全米最大の約4千万人おり、これらの人を対象に、不可欠な行動以外では家から外出しないよう求める、実質的な外出禁止命令だ。新型コロナウイルスの対策で州全域にこうした強い命令が出るのは全米で初めて。

But I don't think Canada has done this. Are you talking about restrictions at the borders? If so then the word you're looking for may be 入国禁止 (nyuukoku kinshi).

カナダが入国禁止措置 自国民と米国は除外
3/17(火) 5:17配信
【ニューヨーク共同】カナダのトルドー首相は16日、新型コロナウイルスの感染拡大を防ぐため、自国民や永住者以外の入国を原則として禁止すると発表した。米国民や各国の外交官、自国民の近親者は例外として入国を認める。物資の輸入は制限しない。

入国禁止の開始日時や期間には言及していない。カナダメディアによると、政府関係者は期間について「必要な間」としている。国際線を受け入れる国内の空港は18日以降、最大都市トロントや西部バンクーバーなど4カ所に絞る。

トルドー氏は禁止措置について「人々の生命を守るため」だとして理解を求めた。

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom