What's new

How to translate in English the Japanese word "Komorebi"?

JayB

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all! :D
I was wondering how "Komorebi" could be translated in English. I have read somewhere it is "the sunshine filtering through the leaves of a tree". But I was wondering if this is right and - if yes - is it the only meaning this word has?

And - above all - what is the meaning that "Komorebi" has for you? :D
I'd also be curious to know how to write it in Japanese.

Thank you all for your answers!
J

lanthas

Reaction score
Seems to be correct. You can easily look it up in a dictionary, where you'll also see that this is indeed the only meaning of the word: komorebi - Jisho.org

The Japanese writing is 木漏れ日.
木 - tree
漏 - leak
日 - day, sun

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Staff member
Donor
Reaction score
I believe the quality of light in this sense is known as crepuscular rays: Crepuscular rays - Wikipedia

I was in Yosemite valley this weekend and thanks to some prescribed burns nearby, the air was heavy with particulate matter, which makes the sunbeams very voluminous!

20171021_152509.jpg

The term 木漏れ日 specifically evokes more of an image of light leaking through the trees overhead, such as when going on a walk through the forest.

Last edited:

JayB

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you lanthas and nice gaijin!
So it is not the sunshine after rain or storm, as I read somewhere (I don't remember where)? Do you know if there is a word to mean this?
May I also ask how is it pronounced?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The Japanese wikipaedia page enumerates the terms 薄明光線, 光芒, 天使の梯子, 天使の階段, ヤコブの梯子 or レンブラント光線, but these are all not so commonly used. I would say 雲間から差す光 for the phenomenon.