What's new

How to say - Summary / Review / Finishing Note - in Japanese

DannyL

Registered
27 Jun 2019
Hi, I'm just wondering a simple way to say the following:

as in a book...

"Summary" - I think it is Matomeru - would this be correct?

"Conclusion" - I think it is Ketsuron

"Review"
- I know Let's review is Fukushuu Shimashou so is the word for Review - Fukushuu?

"Final Note / Finishing Notes" - Google gives me Saigo no Memo for both - would that be right?

and finally........... "Final Words" - again Google gives me Saigo no Kotoba - again, would that be a good translation?

Thanks for any help, Danny ;-)

There is some overlap in the meanings of the English terms you provided, so to get the most accurate answer, it would be helpful for you to explain in detail what you mean by each of these terms. This is especially true of "final note / finishing notes", the meaning of which is not entirely clear to me. Do you mean something along the lines of "closing remarks"? In that case, "最後に" (saigo ni) might be suitable.

For 'review', 復習 (fukushuu) implies studying again; 要約 (youyaku) is probably closer to what you want.

Thanks for your reply. Using a book as an example,

I am really looking at knowing the specific words for 1) a book summary, 2) a book conclusion, 3) a book review - literally the heading that would be used at the top of the page for these sections.

Sometimes you might see the phrase Final note / Finishing Notes / Final Words meaning final thoughts of the author - so, I guess like closing remarks.

So, essentially if you were laying out a book what would the headings be for each section (Intro, Summary, Review, Final Thoughts, Conclusion.

I hope this clarifies my question ;-)

I hope this clarifies my question ;-)

Not really.

I already understood that you wanted to use these terms as headings.

What I was suggesting you do was to go into detail explaining what kinds of things you discuss in each of the sections. How does your Summary differ from your Review and your Conclusion, for example. Even in English the differences between these terms are not always clearcut, Summary and Review could both be used as headings for the exact same content. The same goes for Summary and Conclusion. How are they different in your book?

It is hard to suggest the best Japanese translation if we have only a vague idea of how you are using the terms.

However, going with just the limited level of detail you have already provided, the two terms I suggested, together with the others you proposed, are a good place to start.

For Introduction, you could go with はじめに (hajime ni).

That's great, the above suggestions sound like a good place to begin, i'll look into them further - thanks for your time ;-).

Not really.

I already understood that you wanted to use these terms as headings.

What I was suggesting you do was to go into detail explaining what kinds of things you discuss in each of the sections. How does your Summary differ from your Review and your Conclusion, for example. Even in English the differences between these terms are not always clearcut, Summary and Review could both be used as headings for the exact same content. The same goes for Summary and Conclusion. How are they different in your book?

It is hard to suggest the best Japanese translation if we have only a vague idea of how you are using the terms.

However, going with just the limited level of detail you have already provided, the two terms I suggested, together with the others you proposed, are a good place to start.

For Introduction, you could go with はじめに (hajime ni).

-----
Okay, I have done a little more research and see what you mean about the different terms and how they are used.

So, I think, I would be going with the following suggestions:

- TOC - Mokuji
- Intro/Preface - Hajime ni
- Let's Review (as in the main points made on the page) - Fukushuu Shimashou
- Summary / Digest (of all previous pages) - Youyaku

The above would be for a simple 8 page instruction booklet - HTML5/CSS3 in English (the headings in Japanese would not be absolutely necessary, but it would be a nice addition),

1 final thing if I wanted to say "Note" as in "Things to Remember / Take a Note of" as you read through the booklet what would that be?

Again, thanks for your help, Danny ;-)

1 final thing if I wanted to say "Note" as in "Things to Remember / Take a Note of" as you read through the booklet what would that be?

You can express this with メモ (memo) or 注意 (chuui). メモ is derived from the English word 'memo'.

Which of these you use depends, in part, on if you plan to write all of these Japanese words using the Japanese writing system or the Latin alphabet. If you use the Latin alphabet, 'memo' would look a little strange, so you are better off with 'chuui' (or chui or chūi).

- TOC - Mokuji
- Intro/Preface - Hajime ni
- Let's Review (as in the main points made on the page) - Fukushuu Shimashou
- Summary / Digest (of all previous pages) - Youyaku
I would use the followings, respectively.

目次 Mokuji
序説 Josetsu
論評 Ronpyō
概要 Gaiyō

And 注 Chū for "Note".

In your translations, "Fukushuu Shimashou" doesn't make sense there, so you at least need to revise it.

You can express this with メモ (memo) or 注意 (chuui). メモ is derived from the English word 'memo'.

Which of these you use depends, in part, on if you plan to write all of these Japanese words using the Japanese writing system or the Latin alphabet. If you use the Latin alphabet, 'memo' would look a little strange, so you are better off with 'chuui' (or chui or chūi).

Good point, thanks, I have a bit to work on yet, but all this information will be really useful ;-)

I would use the followings, respectively.

目次 Mokuji
序説 Josetsu
論評 Ronpyō
概要 Gaiyō

And 注 Chū for "Note".

In your translations, "Fukushuu Shimashou" doesn't make sense there, so you at least need to revise it.

Thanks for those headings, they make sense and will be very useful to me ;-)

Back
Top Bottom