What's new

How To Learn Japanese Language

Dell_1957

先輩
27 Jan 2009
I purchased the Rosetta Stone software to learn Japanese but I am finding it a little hard to understand or maybe it's me having a hard time learning....does anyone recommend any other software or any ideas you can give me to learn Japanese fast...

Try using "the search". I know there are many threads dedicated to that very subject.
From what I have read in this forum, Rosetta Stone is getting mixed reviews from other members who have used it. I hope you will find a program that fits your needs.

*I've moved the thread to its more appropriate home.

NO software is going to get you very far, to be honest. You should consider such things as supplements to a formal class and/or some form of immersion.

Thanks for the feed back...I guess the best way to learn then is going to formal classes...that makes more sense than the way I was going about it....thanks again for the feed back...

I use Rosetta Stone and it is VERY useful if you are studying grammar and stuff other than Kanji :3

I recommend becoming familiar with grammar and sentence structure before going into a huge thing.
In my experience, I find learning how to construct a sentence is the best way to go, THEN learn how to get the more advanced stuff :D

Start from stuff like:

watashi wa (your name) desu.

It helps to start small and branch out :3

I also have installed plenty of aids to help me learn which is really doing well, I can speak most sentences with some difficulty too! :3

I guess it also depends on what kind of learner you are. If you simply want some quick phrases to get around by, or you want to comprehend what's being said more thoroughly, etc. etc.

I've been learning Japanese outside of classes and courses (not by choice, just don't have the money/time), but this has helped me to try all kinds of methods learning, both fast and slow, and to find out what suits my pace best.

A few software ideas are:
Human Japanese
Teach Yourself (Audio CD set)

Websites:
How to Speak Japanese - Mahalo
Japancast.net
Kids Web Japan (I know it's "for kids" but it's still good practice!)
JLPT Resources

Either way, just make sure you're enjoying the experience, and don't give up! It's definitely worth the effort you make.

- Aurura

I really do appreciate all the feed back from you guys...I have been searching the web for help and I'm glad I found this site, I have found more people that will help us newbies trying to learn Japanese here than anywhere else I have tried...your support here is just awesome....thanks

i am reading this book "teach yourself Japanese" and with the cd, so far its not that hard it teaches you with dialoges... its easier to hear how they pronounce it..

I actually downloaded a Nintendo DS emulator for my PC. And with it, I also downloaded "My Japanese Coach" rom for it. So far, it's pretty good. You start off really basic and every few lessons they introduce 10 hiragana characters at a time. It also lets you practice writing the characters which is kinda hard with the mouse but it does let you recognize the hiragana much easier. I haven't gotten too far (lesson 14 I think) but so far I've learned pronouns, days of the week, months, how to ask questions, the hiragana up to this point, how to use desu in its various forms, basic sentence structures. I tell ya, I've only been using it for a day and I learned a lot! If you've got money to spend maybe buy an actual Nintendo DS for $80 used and the My Japanese Coach for like $30. The game (learning tool) even helps you with pronunciation with voice recognition. All in all, it's cheaper than Rosetta Stone, and well worth checking out. One more things, it also teaches you between the formal way, and the informal way. So when you do learn enough to speak Japanese you don't seem rude, or like a 10 year old.

~~Jason

I have 2 ways on my learning Japanese , and I found them interesting and helpful..
I use "Let's learn Japanese!" Package ( Video CD's and Text book ) and the use of japanesepod101 ( google it)

I started out learning by taking some elective courses in college. That proved to the be the best base for me. I think it would be really hard to start off all on your own. So I would suggest taking a class for a at least 2 semesters. Anyhow, when I came here on a study abroad, after 4 having semesters of Japanese class back home, i found playing RPG video games in Japanese to be a fun and very useful means to increase my kanji and reading comprehension.

I purchased the Rosetta Stone software to learn Japanese but I am finding it a little hard to understand or maybe it's me having a hard time learning....does anyone recommend any other software or any ideas you can give me to learn Japanese fast...

I know how you feel. I first bought the rosseta stone to learn japanese and found it really hard aswel. I personally recomend Pimsleur Japanese 1. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and find it much easier to understand. They have higher levels up to 3 i think but it is a great program but it is only a speaking and listening program no writing invovled. I also ripped it onto my ipod so i can learn it while traveling.
Rosetta stone is not worth starting off on thats how i feel. I dont think pimsleur is as expensive as rosetta either. I will be using rosetta in the future though when i have learned more.

I know how you feel. I first bought the rosseta stone to learn japanese and found it really hard aswel. I personally recomend Pimsleur Japanese 1. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and find it much easier to understand. They have higher levels up to 3 i think but it is a great program but it is only a speaking and listening program no writing invovled. I also ripped it onto my ipod so i can learn it while traveling.
Rosetta stone is not worth starting off on thats how i feel. I dont think pimsleur is as expensive as rosetta either. I will be using rosetta in the future though when i have learned more.

japanesepod101 is also pretty good. They do cover a decent amount, but most importantly they try to make it interesting.

Also check out the AJATT method.
AJATT | All Japanese All The Time | You don't know a language, you live it. You don't learn a language, you get used to it.

I personally find it better to use a large number of different resources and methods to learn a language. Reason being that it keeps you interested and pulls you away from falling into reliant patterns while learning.

Yeah good point. Might try some others out myself as well. I'm sticking to speaking and listening programs first though, I'm not going to jump into reading and writing just yet.

I study Japanese in my university and it depend on vocabulary and listening and conversations and video and other interesting thing and I found them very good teaching for Japanese language

Back
Top Bottom