What's new

How do you read these Japanese words?

chldudghks0517

Black Rooster
21 Oct 2012
Hi all,

I'm currently using a Japanese workbook for learning Kanjis and encountered some words which I'm not really sure what the correct pronunciations for them are.

1) Is "生年月日" read as "せいねんがっび" or "せいねんげつひ"?

2) Is the "日" in "一年は三百六十五てす。" read as "ひ" of "にち"?

3) Is the "日" in "五月五日は子供のてす。" read as "ひ" of "にち"?

4) I've learned from this workbook that "千 (1000)" has "ち" as its kunyomi (Japanese reading) as in "千葉 (Chiba Prefecture) and "せん" as its onyomi (Chinese reading) as in "千年前 (a thousand years ago)". Seems like both its kunyomi and onyomi are frequently used.

The workbook specified both of the readings for "千" but cited only onyomi for "百 (100)" and "万" (10,000)". Is that because the kunyomi of these two words are rarely used or don't exist at all? I searched my dictionary and found out that "百" and "万" have kunyomis "もも" and "よろず" respectively. Are these correct? Are they even used?

Oh, and, is the kunyomi and onyomi for "円" "まるい" and "えん" respectively?

5) Are "4月 (April)" and "4か月 (4 months)" read as "しがつ" and "よっかげつ" respectively?

Thank you for answering. :)

せいねんがっぴ
にち

Seldom used

The book doesn't explain this stuff? Was it written for foreign learners?

せいねんがっぴ
にち

Seldom used

The book doesn't explain this stuff? Was it written for foreign learners?

Yes, it's a book for foreign learners, like me, and doesn't really explain the kanji in detail, though there are image representations for each kanji (so that it will be easy to remember). It's just a workbook with a few thousand kanjis along with corresponding kunyomis and onyomis and what I do with it is read the kanji and write them repetitively in a bunch of square boxes.

Anyway, thank you for the help. :)

Then you need the textbook that it is designed to complement, don't you think?

Then you need the textbook that it is designed to complement, don't you think?

Yes. Perhaps I need one. But I already have lots of e-Japanese textbooks with me so I think I'll finish them up first and look for an appropriate textbook later on. Or, can you recommend me one? :)

5)
しがつ and よかげつ
Japanese counter word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Japanese counter word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice that 生年月日 is not せいねんがっ but せいねんがっ, as Mike-san wrote. Plus, the copula is す, not す.;-)

Thank you for pointing out the typos! haha. I didn't notice it.

And thanks also for pointing out

せいねんがっ but せいねんがっ

↑↑↑↑ this. I completely had no idea! :)

This post was made in November 6, 2012.

#1 あなたの生年月日は何年何月何日ですか。

Is "何年何月何日" read as "なんねんなんげつなんにち"?

#2 今何時何分ですか。

Is "何分" read as "なんぷん"?

#3 上りと下りの電車。

I have no idea on how to pronounce this. And also, I can't figure out what this phrase exactly means.

And, is there a specific situation when "なん" is used instead of "なに"?

Really appreciate your answers guys. :)

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. がつ
3. なんぷん
4. のぼり と くだり

4 refers to the different directions a train can travel. Nobori is toward a major city and kudari is away. Trains leaving Tokyo are always kudari. Trains approaching Tokyo are always nobori.

You know, it is almost certain that the textbook for this workbook actually teaches the readings of all the things you're asking about. It really makes little sense to have the workbook and not the textbook.

1. Yes
2. がつ
3. なんぷん
4. のぼり と くだり

4 refers to the different directions a train can travel. Nobori is toward a major city and kudari is away. Trains leaving Tokyo are always kudari. Trains approaching Tokyo are always nobori.

You know, it is almost certain that the textbook for this workbook actually teaches the readings of all the things you're asking about. It really makes little sense to have the workbook and not the textbook.

Thank you for answering!

Well yes, I think a textbook is need for this but working on another textbook is too much of a burden for me right now. I think I'll use this forum just for the meantime. :)

I don't think you understand me.

That workbook is supplemental material for a specific textbook. It provides drills for things taught in the textbook. I'm not suggesting getting just any old textbook to use with it.

I don't think you understand me.
That workbook is supplemental material for a specific textbook. It provides drills for things taught in the textbook. I'm not suggesting getting just any old textbook to use with it.

I understood you - that I need the textbook for the workbook I'm using. But right now, I don't have that textbook with me yet so I'm planning to post questions here for the meantime.

Okay, just wanted to make sure. Would you mind sharing the name of the materials?

Okay, just wanted to make sure. Would you mind sharing the name of the materials?

If the material you're referring to is the workbook which I'm using right now, it's named Basic Kanji Book by Chieko Kano, et al.

I'm using only one workbook for studying Kanji.

Is that a workbook or a textbook? I searched on Amazon and only find it as a textbook. It gets overall great reviews but one guy complained that there are no answers available for the exercises.

It seems very odd that the book would include anything for which they did not also teach the reading.

EDIT:

I found a PDF of it. It seems to presume a familiarity with basic Japanese, which is reasonable as it only presents itself as a kanji learning resource.

Anyway, I now have the same material at my fingertips so maybe I can be more helpful with it from now on. Let me know what lesson/section your questions come from so I can see what you're seeing. That might help.

Is that a workbook or a textbook? I searched on Amazon and only find it as a textbook. It gets overall great reviews but one guy complained that there are no answers available for the exercises.

It seems very odd that the book would include anything for which they did not also teach the reading.

EDIT:

I found a PDF of it. It seems to presume a familiarity with basic Japanese, which is reasonable as it only presents itself as a kanji learning resource.

Anyway, I now have the same material at my fingertips so maybe I can be more helpful with it from now on. Let me know what lesson/section your questions come from so I can see what you're seeing. That might help.

You are awesome Mike! Thank you so much for the effort. Hope I'm not inconveniencing you.:)

Just as a clarification, I am using a workbook and here's the cover image of it.

Basic Kanji Book Cover.jpg

Oh wait, is this a textbook? haha. Now I'm confused. But if you look at the contents inside it, it definitely looks more like a workbook (to me).

Sample 3.jpg

Sample 1.jpg

Sample 2.jpg

I think it is both. It probably works better with classroom instruction.

Back
Top Bottom