What's new

Honoo no you ni atsuku!

xellpan

後輩
19 Jun 2017
こんにちは みんなさん!

I have a question concerning two sentences of a song.

The song is called 紅蓮の弓矢 (guren no yumiya).
Anime Lyrics dot Com - Guren no Yumiya - The Crimson Bow and Arrow - Shingeki no Kyojin; Attack on Titan - Anime

Towards the end, we can hear:

Wir sind der Jäger Honoo no you ni atsuku!
Wir sind der Jäger Koori no you ni hiyayaka ni !

I don't understand why atsuki and hiyayaka adjectives appear conjugated this way.
From what I understood,
i-adjectives: い --> く
na-adjectives: な --> に
before a verb.

However, there is no verb at the end of the sentence.
If I had to bet for a verb, it would be です, which in this case the adjectives should appear like:

Wir sind der Jäger Honoo no you ni atsui desu !
Wir sind der Jäger Koori no you ni hiyayaka desu !

Could somebody please explain me what I am missing?

どうもありがとうございます!

xellpan

Actually, the four lines, those two lines and the two lines following it, are a single sentence.

焔のように熱く
氷のように冷ややかに
己を矢に込めて
全てを貫いて征け

Thus, the adverbial forms 熱く and 冷ややかに are both modifying 込めて. (It's also possible to interpret that those are modifying 貫いて征け. I prefer the former one, though.)

Hi Toritoribe, thanks for your answer !
That's an interesting point of view, and a plausible explanation as well (if not the only one :)).
However, it looks weird to me to think of those four sentences as a single sentence, considering that to me it makes more sense as four independent sentences...
Have a good day!
xellpan

There is no problem if you can't accept my explanation, but then please show us a reasonable explanation why the adverbial forms are used there and why my explanation is wrong if it really exists other than an inexperienced beginner learner's personal impression such like "it looks weird to me".
By the way, I'm very confident with my interpretation since I've been listening to far more Japanese songs than you so far, literally countless songs. Here are examples how common it is that phrases or clauses of a single sentence are written in several lines in lyrics. Hope you can get why you are considered "inexperienced"...

翔べ
海よりも激しく
山よりも高く
(The common word order is 海よりも激しく山よりも高く翔べ.)

行け
炎よりも熱く
氷よりも鋭く
(炎よりも熱く氷よりも鋭く行け)
如月千早 (CV:今井麻美) arcadia 歌詞

BREAK DOWN SO 今を熱く
BREAK DOWN SO 生きてみろ
(今を熱く生きてみろ)
エグスプロージョン BAD SATURDAY 歌詞

Cross to you もう戻れないのさ
Call my name 誰かが呼んでるから
(誰かが呼んでるからもう戻れないのさ)

Cross to you 心につながれた
Break my fence 鎖を引きちぎって
Catch my soul 明日を駆け抜けろ
(心につながれた鎖を引きちぎって明日を駆け抜けろ)
男闘呼組 CROSS TO YOU 歌詞

涙の海を目を真っ赤にして
全力で泳ぎ切って
あなたに辿り着いた
(涙の海を、目を真っ赤にして全力で泳ぎ切ってあなたに辿り着いた)

優しいから優しくなれて
ハートに愛をそそぎ込んで
やっとやっと心ぜんぶ
愛で埋まる
(優しいから優しくなれてハートに愛をそそぎ込んでやっとやっと心ぜんぶ愛で埋まる)
fu-mie 100%LOVE 歌詞

September rain rain
九月の雨は冷たくて
September rain rain
想い出にさえ沁みている
(九月の雨は冷たくて想い出にさえ沁みている)
太田裕美 九月の雨 歌詞

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have the feeling you got upset with my reply...
and even if I re-read it I can't understand why...
what I just said is that I believed your explanation, that I had no doubt it would be correct, even though it sounded weird to me to interpret the four sentences as one in english. There's nothing bad into saying that right?
I learned a new thing, and that's good! No need to feel agressed or anything...
I can't give an explanation because (obviously) I have none. And yes, I am inexperienced, sorry for that. This is the reason why I have questions.
Please next time try to analyse better if the reply intends an agression or a critic or not, because now I really have no will to ask questions anymore ¬¬

I forgot to say, thank you for taking the time to provide so many examples, I got better the explanation.
Have a good day,
xellpan

what I just said is that I believed your explanation, that I had no doubt it would be correct, even though it sounded weird to me to interpret the four sentences as one in english.
Oh yeah?

However, it looks (not looked) weird to me to think of those four sentences as a single sentence, considering that to me it makes (not made) more sense as four independent sentences...

Is it natural to judge that you don't agree with my explanation and you still think it looks weird to interpret it as a single sentence, and you still think it makes more sense to you to consider it as four independent sentences. Am I wrong? Can you point out where I made a misunderstanding if it's really my mistake, please?

Please next time try to use the correct tense of verbs if you want to avoid being misunderstood (if it's really my misunderstanding, and if you really agreed with my explanation at that time, needless to say).

I have to say that as a native English speaker (which I understand the OP is not), that was exactly the impression I got as well.

French Guy: These are four Japanese sentences

Japanese Guy: That is one Japanese sentence, written on four lines

French Guy: No, those are four Japanese sentences

I had a good laugh over it this morning, thinking it was another case of someone failing to realize they as a foreign learner were contradicting a native speaker. It happens sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom