What's new

Souieba, tokoro de, chinami ni

beluga

先輩
10 Nov 2003
How do you use them effectively? I know they roughtly means "by the way". I was told that for souieba, you can just interject this anytime when you suddenly remembered you want to ask the person somehting. tokoro de and chinami ni is more used when the following conversation is related to what has been talking about previously. I have no idea when to use tokoro de and chinami ni though....

Thanks

Sorry mod, I placed this question on the wrong section. Kindly shift them to the grammar section. Thanks...

Last edited:
Actually, they're quite different.
Souieba sort of means 'That reminds me' or 'Now that you mention it' or 'Now that I think of it'.
Tokoro de means 'by the way'.
Chinami ni means 'in this connection' or 'in this sense'.

For 'Souieba', what you mentioned was correct. Also, if someone or you talks about something which reminds you of another event, you use 'souieba'. For example,
Kyou eiga ni iku tsumori desu. Souieba, kippu wo mada katte inai.
(I'm intending to go for a movie today. That reminds me, I haven't bought the ticket.)

For 'Tokoro de', the first sentence and 2nd sentence are totally unrelated topics. For example,
Honda san ha nihon he itta sou desu. Tokoro de, ima ame ga futte imasu ne.
(I heard that Mr. Honda has gone to Japan. By the say, it's raining now, isn't it.)

For 'Chinami ni', like what you mentioned, the 1st and 2nd sentences must be related.

Souieba is litrally "if you say that" "speaking of that"

Tokorode is a great way to steer a conversation off at a right angle

Thanks Kimirei for a detailed explanation. However, I would like to know more on chinami ni. Anyone?

Here's an explanation from my tutor.....、「ところで」は、今まで話していた事とまったく違う話題に変えるとき使います。「ちなみに」は、今まで話していたことと関連して他の例などを挙げるときや、ある話題に対して相手の感想などを聞くときにも使います。だから「ところで」と「ちなみに」はまったく違う意味を持っています。

ちなみに、、、

I often want to append somtehing to an email. What is the right way for this... eg in english "PS" or BTW.. currently I used 後、also/after but this doesnt feel quite right...

/dc

Kimirei said:
For 'Tokoro de', the first sentence and 2nd sentence are totally unrelated topics. For example,
Honda san ha nihon he itta sou desu. Tokoro de, ima ame ga futte imasu ne.
(I heard that Mr. Honda has gone to Japan. By the say, it's raining now, isn't it.)
This may be a point of contrast with Chinamini in theory, but as with "by the way" and "incidentally" in English, in practical use tokorode is extremely common even when there is a high degree of relatedness. One example : Something I got back recently from a friend correcting a passage relating to a lost passport. Near the end, Tokorode, did you ever find your passport? I've never had anyone use chinamini with me, or not that was processed at the time anyway 😌

Back
Top Bottom