What's new

Help, with sentences

letianchen

先輩
17 Jun 2013
learning the より with 少し、かなり、and stuff like dore kurai and said, can someone give me a general english translation, my textbook is all japanese and having a hard time figuring out what exactly they mean although I have an idea I think

この箱それよりどのくらい大きいですか。それより少し大きいです
My translation: How much bigger is this box? Its just a little bit bigger

北海道はそれよりどのくらい寒いですか。ここよりずっと寒いです
My translation: How much colder is hokkaido ?. Its always colder than here.

この仕事は今までの仕事よりかなり大変です

This work now is considerably more troublesome than what it was(before).

あの新しい店は安いそうですけど、普通の店よりどのくらい安いんですか

This new store looks cheap but, would an ordinary store be even cheaper?

この箱それよりどのくらい大きいですか。それより少し大きいです
My translation: How much bigger is this box? Its just a little bit bigger
この箱それよりどのくらい大きいですか。
How much bigger is this box than it?

北海道はそれよりどのくらい寒いですか。ここよりずっと寒いです
My translation: How much colder is hokkaido?. Its always colder than here.
北海道はそれよりどのくらい寒いですか。(そこより, maybe?)
How much colder is Hokkaido than there?.

ここよりずっと寒いです
Its far colder than here.

この仕事は今までの仕事よりかなり大変です
This work now is considerably more troublesome than what it was(before).
この仕事は今までの仕事よりかなり大変です
This work is considerably more troublesome than the previous work(s).

This new store looks cheap but, would an ordinary store be even cheaper?
I heard that this new store is cheap/reasonable. How much cheaper/more reasonable is it than an ordinary store?

安そう
to look cheap/reasonable
安いそう
I heard it's cheap/reasonable

Last edited:
Are there any questions? What about それより vs そこより in the second example sentence?

I see, then, それ refers to the weather of a place they were talking about previously, since the demonstrative それ is for "things" whreas そこ is for location.

Might as well ask here as opposed to do making a new thread. I have a another sentence I'm having trouble desciphering

言いたくないっていうか。。。言わなくてもいいことだから

I have an idea of what is trying to be said but am confused by いうか, and how would I decipher this in english.

てもいい, does this not give the notion of, even if~~ its alright?, the いい here, means alright/fine if~ correct?
It does mean that, if you're looking for a literal translation. It's just that the phrase "it's fine if I don't say it" is awkward and vague; the same meaning is usually expressed similarly to Toritoribeさん's translation as "don't need to say it" or "don't have to say it."

I wouldn't recommend the overly literal translation "it's fine if I don't say it" for anything other than the purpose of understanding the Japanese grammar.

Originally, yes. But ~てもいい is more likely used to express "permission", as the opposite to "prohibition" ~てはいけない.

言わなくてもいい
to permit not saying = not to need to say

EDIT:
Oops, Chris-san beats me. 😌

Back
Top Bottom