What's new

Help with sentence

Dragisto

Registered
22 Aug 2017
Hi I'm currently trying to figure out the sentence in the picture. I'm mostly don't understand the katakana and struggling to read the furigana beside the kanji. The only ones I got was 種目 which I think is event and 勝負 for game but the rest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170824-214609.png
    Screenshot_20170824-214609.png
    670.3 KB · Views: 139
It is important to know with manga that the authors sometimes choose to use an unusual or non-standard gloss (furigana) next a set of kanji. Sometimes, as in this case, the gloss comes from English.
Part of what might be giving you trouble in this case is that (a) there are no word breaks shown; and (b) all furigana characters are the same size, even if some would normally be the small versions in full-size text.
Below, I have altered the text in light of these issues to help you to decipher it.

フォース・コンバット
タッグ・マッチ

Finally, note that the 本 kanji is glossed as ぼん in this case because it is being used as a counter word, following "3".

OK thanks now I've got it at something like the event is a task force tag match for the rounds. Is this correct it am I mistaking it somewhere? Also other than with particles is there a simple way of knowing when one word end and another starts and what was the kanji they used for tag?

The kanji used for "tag" is 複座. Without particles to go by, finding word breaks can be challenging, and just takes practice and experience.

I'll leave your first question to others who know more about that.

As you can see the angle brackets for フォースコンバット(probably "force combat"), it is a coined word or something, not a general noun.
タッグマッチの3本勝負, i.e., "three-point tag match" is the explanation about the event フォースコンバット.

yeah the force combat is the game they're playing. so is the translation correct overall?

Back
Top Bottom