What's new

Help with reading comprehension

You're right. I misread the sentence. However I can't understand it. What does it say? Especially the 目から出して one

This is kinda of stupidly difficult question that I have no idea: (taken from 総まとめN3読解)

人間はだれでも本当は死と隣りあわせで生きている。自殺、などというものも、特別に異常なことではなく、手をのばせばすぐとどくところにある世界なのではあるまいか。ひょいと気軽に道路の白線をまたぐように、人は日常生活を投げだすこともありえないことではない。ああ、もう面倒くさい、と、特別な理由もなく死に向かって歩みだすこともあるだろう。私たちはいつもすれすれのところできわどく生きているのだ。

すれすれのところできわどく生きているとは、どういう意味か。

1。自殺してもおかしくない状況の中で生活している。
2。危険なものに囲まれた状況の中で生活している。
3。簡単に死を選べないという状況の中で生活している。
4。だれでもいつかは死ぬという状況の中で生活している。

My interpretation is like this:

The phrase すれすれのところできわどく生きている means ''living in a condition barely dangerous at the place avoiding something that is dangerous'' (well, the hints in the book explained so)

2. 危険なものに囲まれただけでなく, 安全なところもある。
3. 簡単に死を選べないという状況とは書かない。
4. だれでもいつかは死ぬという状況とは書かない。(Sorry for my bad Japanese)

So using the process of elimination, 1 is 正解。

So sure if that's correct... And I don't understand what すれすれのところできわどく生きている means to 自殺してもおかしくない状況の中で生活している. Even I translated it, I don't see any relation.

The whole sentences preceding 私たちはいつもすれすれのところできわどく生きているのだ, i.e., the context shows that #1 is the correct answer. It's meaningless just to translate the meaning of the single clause すれすれのところできわどく生きている alone.
All your analyses about #2~4 are wrong. Those sentences are all correct. They just don't fit the context. Remember nekojita-san's wise advice.

I've run into this phrase: ったく! どこの世界でも子供はこれだから。。。!

It is ok if you find it hard to translate. Just tell me the meaning. Thank you!

Please help with my reading comprehension

I've run into this phrase: ったく! どこの世界でも子供はこれだから。。。!

It is ok if you find it hard to translate. Just tell me the meaning. Thank you!

It's perfectly easy to translate, but just handing it to you with won't help you.

Based on context, what do you think it means?

Last edited:
^ The second sentence, I think it means: At any world this is why the children are... (troublesome)

So the speaker is using hyperbole (exaggeration) regarding the nature of children, and as you can see the speaker thinks them troublesome. Now, the first part is an interjection....consider the context and the speakers mood and try to guess the meaning/feeling associated with the interjection.

The situation was 2 girls try to show off themselves by running into danger and the speaker is annoyed by that since she have to chase and rescue them. I just want to know if my translation is considerable...

I think your understanding of it is fine. If you're going to do translation you should strive to construct good sentences in the target language instead of just stringing it together word-by-word or phrase-by-phrase.

I think your understanding of it is fine. If you're going to do translation you should strive to construct good sentences in the target language instead of just stringing it together word-by-word or phrase-by-phrase.

I knew that but sadly my English vocab/knowledge isn't good enough. Could you give me a translation of it. Thank you. XD

I knew that but sadly my English vocab/knowledge isn't good enough. Could you give me a translation of it. Thank you. XD

Your English is very good. But there is a clear difference between your English sentences when you are saying something and when you are translating something.

Just phrase the translations closer to your own English, not closer to the original Japanese.

今のスイングじゃ、空振り三振ってとこね。。。

I probably don't need to provide context here. It's about baseball.

ってとこね is another way of saying というところだよね right? So it would be like: ''That swing now is about the time he being strike out...''?

And... そりゃ私は新聞記者ですもの

?

Not というところだね but というところ(だ)ね.

ところ【所/処】
2 抽象的な場所。場面。範囲。多く、連体修飾語によって限定される場所や部分をいう。
キ 範囲。程度。「調べた―では、そんな事実はない」「歩いて三〇分といった―かな」
ところ【所/処】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

Look up an expression せいぜい~って/というところだ.

そりゃ=それは
もの is a female sentence final particle.

I'm dizzy with this one:
「けどよ、ロボトにしてもバケモノにしても剣を使う奴はいるわけだし、でっかい剣が落ちてくるって話はありそうだよな」

The context is a girl is wandering at the city to find her lose sword. She meet a party and ask if they saw that sword is fallen to somebody's hand. (Before the sword fell from the sky to a giant robot's arm which a boy pilot it) A girl say is there such ridiculious new? Another girl say normally it is hard to believe but nowadays since troublesome events keep occuring it could be true. A boy say it is troublesome because there are monsters attack the cities. And following up is this sentence.

Oh I forgot, my translation: ''But, even though the fellow who uses the sword is a robot or a monster exists,
the story of a huge sword fall down seems to be true.''

~わけだし expresses the reason/cause of the main clause, as same as ~わけだから.

Nevertheless you used "even though"?
What do you think about the modification of ロボトにしてもバケモノにしても剣を使う奴はいる? "The fellow who uses the sword is a robot or a monster exists" doesn't seem to show your understanding is correct.

Back
Top Bottom