What's new

Help translating a yosegaki hinomaru

Cobalt Rage

後輩
7 May 2022
Good evening, I am helping a friend, who inherited this flag, to find out more information about it. Her grandfather brought it back after World War II and it has been passed down through the family to her. Any information about the flag and translations of any of the kanji will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220506_220342.jpg
    20220506_220342.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 68
The recipient is 亀田卯彦 Kameda Haruhiko. The right end column is 石原産業紀州(most likely 鉱山) Ishihara Sangyo Kaisha, Ltd. Kisyu Mine, which is one of the presenters, so he might work there.

Thank you for the information. Is there possibly a date on the flag? Also, I have been reading the post by Majestic and understand that there are many fakes, including some from the period. Would you offer your opinion as to the authenticity of this flag having been carried by a Japanese Soldier during World War 2? Of course, any other information you might glean from the image would be truly appreciated.

No dates on the flag, but assume it is from sometime between 1938 and 1945, with a strong probability that it dates from 1942-1943. The company "Ishihara Sangyō Kishū" changed its name to Ishihara Sangyō K.K. in 1943. Of course some sections of the company, or some people in the company may have continued using the old name out of habit. Anyway, assume the flag dates from around 1942.

The rest of the small writing is all names. The large letters across the top is 祈武運長久 which appears on maybe 90% of these flags (pray for everlasting luck in battle).

Majestic, thank you for the information. I was wondering if any of you mighr know of a way to get information about the Soldier it was presented to. I have already begun a search for the records of her grandfather so that we will know where he served. I would be interested in finding out where Kamedasan servwd as well.

Majestic, thank you for the information. I was wondering if any of you mighr know of a way to get information about the Soldier it was presented to. I have already begun a search for the records of her grandfather so that we will know where he served. I would be interested in finding out where Kamedasan servwd as well.
If you have any interest in repatriating the flag, you should contact the Obon Society. In the end they may come up with some details about the recipient's service. But the expectation is that you would relinquish the flag.

It really would need someone with access to military records, deployment lists, social security records, or other kinds of private information. If the name were a super rare name, you might get lucky by trying to find someone with the same name on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram, but Kameda isn't such a rare name. As mdchachi says above, if you are interested in repatriating the flag back to the descendants or relatives of the original owner, you can try the Obon Society, which has some resources to track down relatives. Or, you can also try the Japanese Embassy, which now has a website where you can contact for enquiries like this.

If you have any interest in repatriating the flag, you should contact the Obon Society. In the end they may come up with some details about the recipient's service. But the expectation is that you would relinquish the flag.
Thank you, I will look into that.

It really would need someone with access to military records, deployment lists, social security records, or other kinds of private information. If the name were a super rare name, you might get lucky by trying to find someone with the same name on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram, but Kameda isn't such a rare name. As mdchachi says above, if you are interested in repatriating the flag back to the descendants or relatives of the original owner, you can try the Obon Society, which has some resources to track down relatives. Or, you can also try the Japanese Embassy, which now has a website where you can contact for enquiries like this.
I was not aware that it was a common surname. Thanks for the input. As I told mdchachi, I will look into the Obon Society.

Back
Top Bottom