What's new

Help Translate Words on Back of Old Oil Painting

sunnynature22

Registered
21 Apr 2020
I found this old oil painting with some writing in Japanese. The words are on the right and left sides on the back of the wood frame .
Can you help translate it?
It also appears to be signed by artist in upper right corner: Hirase ??
I'd love your translation or input. Thank you!

DSCN1826.JPG iris_painting_left.jpg iris_painting_r.jpg iris_painting1.jpgDSCN1834.JPG

Attachments

• iris_painting_closeup.jpg
    iris_painting_closeup.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 225
Looks like Hirase to me, a close-up doesn't seem to help as much as sitting far away and squinting a bit.

The back of the frames seems to say 浪速タッカー(株式?)会社: Naniwa Tucker Co. Ltd.

and 祝 エッソスタンダード様: (celebration of) Esso Standard-sama

Looking it up, as I hadn't seen 浪速 before:
浪速 (防護巡洋艦)
Wikipedia definition
1. Japanese cruiser NaniwaJapanese cruiser Naniwa was the lead ship of the Naniwa-class cruisers, built in the Newcastle upon Tyne-based Armstrong Whitworth Elswick shipyard in the United Kingdom. Together with her sister ship, Takachiho, these were the first protected cruisers acquired by the Imperial Japanese Navy. The name Naniwa comes from an ancient name for Osaka, which appears in the Nara period chronicle Nihon Shoki. She played a major role in the First Sino-Japanese War of 1894-1895.
Read "Japanese cruiser Naniwa" on English Wikipedia
Read "浪速 (防護巡洋艦)" on Japanese Wikipedia
Read "Japanese cruiser Naniwa" on DBpedia

So it could refer to the ship, or possibly Naniwa Tucker is the name of the company (possibly based out of Osaka?) to which the painted is dedicated or belonged, but a search didn't bring up anything. Esso Standard most likely refers to the oil company

Looks like Hirase to me, a close-up doesn't seem to help as much as sitting far away and squinting a bit.

The back of the frames seems to say 浪速タッカー(株式?)会社: Naniwa Tucker Co. Ltd.

and 祝 エッソスタンダード様: (celebration of) Esso Standard-sama

Looking it up, as I hadn't seen 浪速 before:

So it could refer to the ship, or possibly Naniwa Tucker is the name of the company (possibly based out of Osaka?) to which the painted is dedicated or belonged, but a search didn't bring up anything. Esso Standard most likely refers to the oil company
Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

Updating.... I noticed Esso Standard Oil (Japan) in 1962. But, based on the painting frame, it was painted long before then.
Everyone here is amazing! I really appreciate everyone's help.
Many thanks 😀⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom