What's new

Gyms in Japan (Hokkaido)

Meshane

後輩
7 Jul 2004
Hey guys, I'll be living in Japan for 3 months coming up in April and I'm wondering what the gyms are like in Japan for those who have used them. How are the prices and how do they compare to more western gyms in machines and space? Are they located within the cities and easy to access by train?

Thanks 👍

I don't know about Hokkaido, but I assume they'll follow a similar practice as those in Tokyo. Standard monthly cost is 11,000 yen, and don't be surprised if there's a 20,000 - 30,000 yen start-up fee.

Once in the gym, the fun begins. Outdoor shoes can never be indoor shoes, and vice versa. So, you walk in. Shoes off at the locker room. Change clothes. Shoes on. Shoes off at the stretching mat. Stretch. Then shoes back on for the workout.

All in all, it's a little more uptight than a workout in the states, but it's liveable I'd say. The thing that really got on my nerves is the compulsory swimming cap in the pool.

Well...

Gyms in Japan drive me nuts. I won't get into it, but before I answer I'd like to know what kind of gym are you looking for? A Fitness Center? With exercise bikes? A weight room for heavy lifting? Any preference?

Thanks for the replys guys and I'm basically looking for a gym with weights and machines for the muscles. Bicycles, gymnasiums and pools are just extras that would be cool but not needed. Barbells, dumbells, couple machines and I'm good. 👍

Great! I'm not very fond of "fitness centers." Well, to be honest, I can't help you much because I haven't spent alot of time in Hokkaido. I can make a few recommendations. 1. Check out the local college/high schools in your area first. If you ask nicely, most places will let you use the gym. (At least, this has been my experience at several places, and I've heard from others who do the same.) Using a local school weight room for free could save you alot of money. 2. If you have no other choice, buy your own set of weights. Since I live in the countryside I had no other choice but to do this. It might seem expensive but if you're here for awhile it will be worth it. (Speaking of which, when I leave next year I'll have a set of weights for sale, anyone interested?)

some websites of interest:

Strong Sports
BODYMAKER(ボディメーカー)公式 スポーツ用品・トレーニング用品通販サイトトップページ(K-1ファイター皇治選手をイメージキャラクターに起用)
and my favorite supplier
www.moriya-inc.com

I'm actually doing an exchange to a high school for my senior year so that might just work out. The high school is about 10 steps away from a university too :)

Thanks for the help

The city hall where I live has a weight room in one of the attached buildings. I think that it is like 400 yen each time you use it. Other than that, the high school idea is your best bet!

Back
Top Bottom