What's new

gross food

eimik

先輩
25 Dec 2002
What are some foods you didnt like in Japan, but you can get the same type of product from your house...

Mine was Japanese/Hokkaido milk, that was bruitally disgusting. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Oh and some of their deep fried potato chips, like the grease is practically dehyrated out. so yah....

doobee doobee do.

Well, here are my picks although I don't think you can find any similar domestic counterparts here in America (thankfully 8-p).

1) Natto
Although that may be something exclusive to Japan I think as it is certainly not available here).

2) Basashi
Sorry, horse meat just doesn't appeal to my palate--especially when served raw. Tried it once, and even when smothered in soy sauce, the overpowing flavor of the meat is just a little too strong for my tastes.

3) Sakana no Ikizukuri
Somehow, I prefer not to see my meal squirming around my plate while I eat it... 'nuff said (the fish was certainly fresh though 8-p)

4) Pretty much any dish involving Kujira meat or any of its by-products as an ingredient with "Kujira Jiru" being the worst imho. Somehow, salted blubber from a whale made into a soup just doesn't cut it for me. 8-p

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for trying new things (actually developed a taste for snake meat as a result of my travels abroad through China and India) and i've tried all of the aforementioned dishes at least once before deciding it wasn't for me. I can take the fried grasshoppers, the raw squid served with kimchee as an appetizer (actually pretty tasty), and pretty much anything else, but those are the ones that come to mind atm. I'm also not a fan of unagi (eel) dishes, especially when served shirayaki style although I can eat it and maybe i've just never had it served properly.
:)

Originally posted by Iron Chef

1) Natto
Although that may be something exclusive to Japan I think as it is certainly not available here).

Doode, you can totally buy natto in any asian supermarket

Getting Natto "from your house" and getting it from "any Asian supermarket" are not one and the same context... That was how I understood your original post anyways. Yes, chances are you can get Natto from your local Asian market although most likely it will be an import and NOT domestically manufactured (hence why I said similar domestic counterparts were not available).

Originally posted by eimik
What are some foods you didnt like in Japan, but you can get the same type of product from your house...

After she gets back from jogging and I all wanna begin to dig'in' cause those break-away pants are such a turn on.

Josh

illustrASIANS.com

Konnichiwa Eimik-san!

I don't know that is Japanese food or not. But I can not eat Kaki(Oyster). Fried oysters, raw oysters, boiled oysters and etc... I can not eat all Oysters...

NANGI

well, we have talked about gross Japanese food... what food in the United States is considered gross by Japanese people?

what food in the United States is considered gross by Japanese people?

I know my husband would say that anything with a lot of cheese might be gross. Well, he has gotten used to it somewhat since he's been here, but I think most Japanese people are overly sensitive when it comes to the smell of cheese, as probably a lot of them are lactose intolerant anyway. Other than that, though, he eats everything with great gusto.

I've always found it curious that most Japanese people don't seem to like their fries with ketchup, heh (as is customary at any fast-food joint here). I've been told that's "gross" on several occasions while I was still there.
:)

Yeah, I've noticed the Japanese people I know also don't eat ketchup on their fries. They do, however, like to put ketchup all over their omlettes and hanbagu... :p

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Yeah, I've noticed the Japanese people I know also don't eat ketchup on their fries. They do, however, like to put ketchup all over their omlettes and hanbagu... :p

Fast food is entirely different in Japan, even other hamburger places too, I think it's funny. @ Mcdonalds you need to ask for ketchup and they don't have free re-fills anywhere, other restaurants if you ever get a chance, I think at the west exit of shinjuku station right across the street is this american restaurant called american grill, pretty much looks like a rip-off of TGIfridays, well I asked for ranch dipping sauce for my fries and they gave me mayo (which seems to be popular, pizzas and a bunch of other stuff) and when I ordered my drinks I ordered beef jerky as a bar-snack and it came to my table in a crystal champagne glass, how weird is that? I wanted it in a little plastic bag or something.

Josh

Originally posted by Zenbone
well, we have talked about gross Japanese food... what food in the United States is considered gross by Japanese people?

Make your own post buddy!?!?! tehehe jk

oh oh oh Japanese kids dont like root beer and licorice. They think it tastes like medication. its funny. tehehe

ahh my name is KIMIE

its pronouced like Kimi-eh!!!

Dareka ga Kimi-eh!!! o haramaserebaiinoni, sosureba hanasou no yameru darou kara.

Tadashii! Tadashii!
Josh (+50 points)

Re: Re: gross food

Originally posted by ghettocities

After she gets back from jogging and I all wanna begin to dig'in' cause those break-away pants are such a turn on.

um!?!?

Quit talking to yourself.

The only two foods I could not associate with is Tofu and that soy bean mixture that's used for making soup. Ugh! Other than that I ate anything that was put before me. Must remember, in those early days Americanized foods and specialties were not around.

oh oh oh Japanese kids dont like root beer and licorice. They think it tastes like medication. its funny. tehehe

i wish medicine here tasted like root beer. though green nyQuil tastes like black licorice blech to both of them.
i have found a counterpart to this phenomina, for any one who wants to try it out, its a korean energy drink called "bakasan" the stuff tastes just like cough syrup.

Nangi,

Have you had oysters cooked on an open fire? They are good.
The shell pops open when they are cooked!
Most asian supermarkets in the U.S. have imported naato from
Japan.

Back
Top Bottom