What's new

Grammar behind"NとNとの"

4 Apr 2014
In the following examples:
1978年に日本と中国との間に平和条約が結ばれた。
都市と国家との間隙。
can the second と be omitted, or と+との is the only correct way?
Are 都市と国家の間隙。and 1978年に日本と中国の間に平和条約が結ばれた。 acceptable? Where can i read more about grammar behind that second と?

The second one is frequently (even usually) omitted. It is the same "and" と as the first one. You'll sometimes encounter it in written usage like this. I have no idea where one would go to read more about it. It never struck me as needing much more explanation than that. Googling 並立助詞 と should turn up something, though.

This looks promising, but all I get is 文字化け: ?֡??ȡ??Ρפȡ֡??ȡ??ȤΡ? - Oyanagi???ٶ????????Ǽ???

Last edited:
That's a relief. It's just i'd been seeing so much と+との recently, that i started to deem it preferential to single と construction.
The linked page is displayed fine for me. Reading it now. Thank you Mike!

Have just digested 「~と~の」と「~と~との」
I'd say the summary is: "...最後の「と」は入れないで学習するのが普通だと思います..." + "...「と」(the last と)
があっても不自然ではないのは、「一緒に」とか「お互い」に意味がはっきりしている場合だと言えます".

つまり normally the last と is omitted but it can be used to emphasize that the action is performed jointly/in cooperation/between two subjects, when it is not clear from the context.
AさんとBさんが夫婦になる is unambiguous, while AさんとBさんが結婚する can be interpreted as if they are having separate weddings. Therefore AさんとBさんと結婚する can be used for precision's sake.

As the site says, AさんとBさんとが結婚する can still mean "they are having separate weddings".
It seems to me that that sentence is used to emphasize A and B will marry each other (not "A and C" or "D and B", for instance).

Back
Top Bottom