What's new

Google Translate is a joke.

Nulambda

Kouhai
14 Jul 2014
I was translating a sentence and decided to see if google had any insight. What I got was absolutely hilarious.

The sentence was: 「う」が無くなるのに注意

What google thought it meant: Note the " jar " that no

I swear, I started crying from laughing so hard.

I believe what the sentence truly means is: Caution, it's infrequently also called う.

I was translating a sentence and decided to see if google had any insight. What I got was absolutely hilarious.

The sentence was: 「う」が無くなるのに注意

What google thought it meant: Note the " jar " that no

I swear, I started crying from laughing so hard.

I believe what the sentence truly means is: Caution, it's infrequently also called う.

That's not what it means. You're no closer to being correct than google was; you just have better syntax.

I'm pretty sure the う is the subject of the sentence. Let me put down the entire thing so you can see the context. (Bold part is the sentence)
月を数える時
1月=ひとつき
2月=ふたつき
3月=みつき、みっつき
4月=よつき、よっつき
5月=いつつき
6月=むつき、むっつき
7月=ななつき
8月=やつき、やっつき
9月=ここのつき
10月=とつき(「う」が無くなるのに注意

Do you understand where the う was dropped and why they mentioned it? If not, review the native counting numbers.

I understand that for general counting ten is とお which is where I believe these numbers are derived from. I'm not sure where う comes into play then.

I see. That certainly clarify things.

It doesn't clarify how you arrived at your initial conclusion of it meaning something about infrequently being called う, though. I'm curious how you got that.

Back
Top Bottom