What's new

Gender equality and women in the workplace

Sophie93

後輩
9 Apr 2015
Hi I've created a questionnaire for my dissertation that looks at Japanese women in the workplace and gender equality. 日本語と英語が大丈夫です。If there are any women (22+) who would be interested in answering this questionnaire, please follow this link!
Women in the workplace Survey

However, if there is any Japanese women (still at 大学.. 22-), who are still in university or still deciding on their career aspirations and who would be interested in answering a questionnaire about their future career aspirations please follow this link! (this questionnaire is only in english though sorry!)
Young women's career aspirations Survey

Also If any Japanese women, or women currently in Japan have anything they would like to say about gender equality in Japan, and if it affects women in the workplace, please post!

There is no gender equality in Japan, so even though I have read your surveys, I have to wonder why you are conducting them. Some of the English questions are difficult to understand, so I don't think you're going to get consistency in replies. Moreoever, virtually everything is an essay response, which will make for very difficult analysis. I wonder what kind of software you plan to use to code the responses.

I think I saw somewhere recently that Japan ranks 168th in the world in terms of gender gap. You can argue all day about methodology, bias, assumptions, sample, or whatever else you can think of....but if you're that far down on anybody's list, there's probably more than a little truth to it.

There is no gender equality in Japan, so even though I have read your surveys, I have to wonder why you are conducting them. Some of the English questions are difficult to understand, so I don't think you're going to get consistency in replies. Moreoever, virtually everything is an essay response, which will make for very difficult analysis. I wonder what kind of software you plan to use to code the responses.
I have had a few replies and have talked to japanese women and many believe that gender equality is there in Japan but isn't as advanced forward as western countries. I am conducting these questionnaires not to get results to create diagrams and analyse it that way; but to find out japanese women's opinions on the questions asked, to see if there is an age gap between opinions, ect. I'm not looking for consistency, I'm looking for as much data as possible, but if there is consistency then great!
Thanks for your feedback.

I think I saw somewhere recently that Japan ranks 168th in the world in terms of gender gap. You can argue all day about methodology, bias, assumptions, sample, or whatever else you can think of....but if you're that far down on anybody's list, there's probably more than a little truth to it.
According to the Japan times, Japan ranks 104th in the world in terms of gender equality. As these questionaires are for my dissertation, a small project of 5000 words, there's only so much stuff I can look at.
It's interesting what you are saying, but I'm looking for japanese women to answer these questionnaires based on their opinion considering the matter of gender equality and women in the workplace and whether it affects young japanese women's career aspirations.

According to the Japan times, Japan ranks 104th in the world in terms of gender equality. As these questionaires are for my dissertation, a small project of 5000 words, there's only so much stuff I can look at.
It's interesting what you are saying, but I'm looking for japanese women to answer these questionnaires based on their opinion considering the matter of gender equality and women in the workplace and whether it affects young japanese women's career aspirations.

You'll find almost none here. Glenski and I were merely engaging you in polite conversation.

Sophie,

We have two daughters in their 20s, but I won't be forwarding your survey monkey thing to them.

On the one hand it is invasive, asking for explicitly personal data with no disclaimer or info about how that will be used, protected, or published (yikes!!).

And on the other hand, your questions are (frankly) trivial--you could read some broad news summaries (or the research that's already been done) and probably come up with better 'conclusions' than you'll get from very few responses to your survey.

I am conducting these questionnaires not to get results to create diagrams and analyse it that way; but to find out japanese women's opinions on the questions asked, to see if there is an age gap between opinions, ect. I'm not looking for consistency,
As these questionaires are for my dissertation
Your advisor must be a real generous person to accept a survey with no mathematical analysis done on it. I don't care if the thesis is supposed to be only 5,000 words long. If you aren't doing something even halfway serious to analyze the data (and yes, opinions are data), then it's a huge waste of time to do this, let alone write up something about it. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm so tired of seeing English educators and masters/doctoral students present on language research with poor approaches, so my feelings are spilling over into your "research". There is so much wrong with this survey that it would take me more time to describe it than I have.

I'm looking for as much data as possible
Where else are you distributing this? Not all that many Japanese are on this web site, and you're going to get anonymous responses anyway, not ones that you can confirm are from women. If you aren't going to do any sort of analysis, why bother getting as much data as possible (which would then lend itself to statistical examination)? You are not being consistent here.

I have had a few replies and have talked to japanese women and many believe that gender equality is there in Japan but isn't as advanced forward as western countries.
May I ask sincerely and honestly who these Japanese women are, and how many you have interviewed? Details are telling, especially about their ages, time they've lived here vs. abroad, marital status, motherhood status, etc.

According to the Japan times, Japan ranks 104th in the world in terms of gender equality.
If I were your advisor, I'd take issue with this statement on 2 grounds:

First, it was reported in The Japan Times, but the figure was obtained and measured from the World Economic Forum, stated as part of the same sentence. You should be citing the WEF reports, not a newspaper.

Second, you are only stating one year's data point. Is the trend rising, falling, or remaining relatively stable? It doesn't take a heckuva lot of searching to see just a few years' data on that.
2014 -- 104th of 142
2013 -- 105th of 132
2012 -- 101st of 135
2011 -- 98th
2010 -- 94th
2009 -- 101st
2008 -- 98th
2007 -- 91st
2006 -- 80th
http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GenderGap_Report_2011.pdf

The trend is important, especially when newspapers (which are often politically biased) will publish reports on how great the government at the time is trying to change the trend.

but if you're that far down on anybody's list, there's probably more than a little truth to it.

Yeah, but I think the truth in this case may be that 1) virtually nowhere has real gender equality 2) where it is perceived to exist in any degree it is perceived with a cultural bias, 3) outsiders tend to underestimate Japan and lack knowledge to make a full comparison and 4) Japanese tend to overestimate the west on issues like this because the west is so full of itself and so full of boastful bullshoot and prints it everywhere.

For example, who has accounted for the fact that in Japan its still pretty standard for a man to turn over his bank account to his wife? How does that affect the workplace? Well, just how hard are women going to fight for equality in the workplace when they envision a likely future where they control their husband's paycheck and only hand him a tiny allowance?

Also, how much paternity leave do men get? Compare that to maternity leave.

Back
Top Bottom