What's new

Gaijin Power

8 Jul 2004
A Farewell From inthemix: Thanks For All The Memories

Culture: Loose Socks Part 6 - "Gaijin Power" Reported on Wednesday, Sep 29, 2004. 14:19 by Kalin Kosturkov

Gaijin power can be found in many guises, has also been known as GEOS, AEON or NOVA and is your ticket to untold fame and fortune and sex beyond all your wettest of dreams.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so it's not the miracle cure-all for you insecurities but it is a start. You can come to Japan straight out of uni with little or no qualifications; all you need is a university degree, no teaching experience required. Most of the above companies will give you inadequate training, horrendous conditions, a tiny apartment and an average salary, but what it also will give you is an opportunity to meet girls, many many girls.

In previous loose socks articles I have mentioned the 126 million odd people living in Japan. What I failed to mention is Japan's male to female ratio, with an outstanding one man to every three females. Boys, Australia used to be the land of opportunity but, Japan is knocking at the door.

I want you to imagine that tranquil scene of a Geisha girl with her wooden Geta, bound from head to toe in an elaborate Kimono. She is delicately balancing a paper parasol over her shoulder, walking across an ancient red bridge with the manicured garden in the background. Now reverse that image, shake it up a little and look through the eyes of the Japanese.

The Western image through Japanese eyes also has this serene unrealistic viewpoint of us. This was delicately portrayed in Lost in Translation, this cult of admiration, of loving, desiring something that is vastly different to the norm. This admiration is systemic in Japanese culture. Put simply the atmosphere created could constitute a warped superficial sense of love of the gaijin.

Add this superficial love to this fact; there is a minuscule amount of Caucasian foreigners in Japan and the majority are working in Japan as English Teachers! Of the 126 million people a mere 0.1 percent are of Caucasian stock. This makes the average white male an elusive crown for those of the population that exemplify Western ideals.

This perpetuated image of foreigners has become so misconstrued that some Japanese girls can't discern what constitutes an attractive foreign man. This puts you, the below average looking guy, in an auspicious position. For the first time in your life you can "cash in" in Japan. You can jump on board and enjoy that superstar status a foreigner receives and you too can have what you have always desired, a girlfriend.

Before I promised you "many many girls", so now you're here. You've started your job, you have a few cute students, but thus far this "Promised Land" hasn't actuated. What I failed to mention is the average Japanese girl is not that interested in you. For a start, unless you speak fluent street Japanese the average Pinky and Diane girl isn't even going to give you a sideways glance, let alone the time of day. So you find yourself back at square one, dateless and desperate.

Don't be dismayed those elusive women are out there, you just have to scratch the surface to find them. So where do you find them? If you have just arrived in Japan the local gaijin pub is a good place to start.

The gaijin pub is the antithesis of this megalomania that has been created in Japan. It is a cesspool of English teacher scum. You've travelled all the way across the globe to one of the most fascinating countries in the world but thus far you have spent every weekend surrounded by your foreign comrades, reminiscing about home. The local gaijin pub consists of a sordid tale of what happens if you spend too long in Japan. There are the "lifers", the middle age men, still trying to "pick up" the youngest girl in the bar. Then you have your mid-term boys, who have found both their niche and best pick up line, vomiting verbal diarrhoea to their comrade's in arms and swapping war stories of the latest girl. Then you have the freshmen, with no idea of what to do or where to go so find them selves in the same bar week in week out.

Unfortunately these gaijin bars contain the easiest way for a foreign man to meet a Japanese girl. In one way the gaijin pub constitutes a dating club, where girls that are interested in actually meeting and dating foreign men congregate.

There are the innocents that have come out of curiosity. Perhaps they have been dragged along by their friend, or have been encouraged by their English teacher. There are the girls who have spent time in an English speaking country that wish to reminisce about the "good time's " that they had now they find themselves back in their reality.

From an outside perspective looking in on this gaijin world, the saddest thing to see is the scumbag that preys on these kinds of girls. Girls with English poor enough not to have the ability to recognize that the man they are talking to would in their own country have no chance even meeting a girl of their standards or are being fooled by the oldest of pick up lines by the sleaziest of scumbags.

There are always two sides to the coin, and in Japan there are girls who date foreign men as a status symbol. There are inherent dangers with this last group of girls and if you are willing to "cash in " on one of these kinds of girls there is a significant chance that for a while the novelty of you will last. Eventually your "gaijin power" will wear off and you could be left feeling like a empty husk, compounded when you see your ex girlfriend slobbering all over the new freshman who's just arrived in Japan.

Just like home, there are the scumbags, but not every foreigner in Japan could be coined into this unfortunate lot, it does exist though that for your average metro sexual there are girls in Japan that can fulfil every hearts desires.

There is some good news, I have heard that Japanese girls are particularly fond of Aussie guys; one of my students told me that we have a good reputation as boyfriends, kind, considerate and different to the average Japanese man. She went on to say that the best thing about a foreign man is that a Japanese girl can put on a little bit of weight and the gaijin boyfriend won't mind, but a Japanese boyfriend would be highly insulted. Now if you actually see a Japanese girl you would understand that a little extra weight is something that you would never even notice, least of all get upset about.

My parting words are these. There are only cultural differences between a Japanese woman and an Australian woman; remember, they are as infinitely complex up here. Love them, be loved by them and treat them with the respect that they deserve. If you are a scumbag, don't come here. The place has already filled its quota.

You know? Its funny because its so so true!

Can there BE a more biased report anywhere?
Does this man live in a bubble with blinders on?
Surely he has found more to an entire country and people than that.
What a sad waste.

What was biased about it?

And where did the article purport to be so all-encompassing as to cover every aspect of Japan? People usually do tend to focus a little more narrowly when writing article-length items.

MUZIKLUVR said:
Can there BE a more biased report anywhere?
Does this man live in a bubble with blinders on?
Surely he has found more to an entire country and people than that.
What a sad waste.
Sorry.
Have you been too Japan?
Lived here?
Spent time in said Gaijin Bars observing the stupidity and outright shenanigans that goes on from both foreign guys and Japanese girls?
The article, for the topic it discusses is shocingly on point.

Japan's male to female ratio, with an outstanding one man to every three females.

Is it the ratio for men and women who are at suitable "marry" age? The reason I ask is because I had known three J-girls who were in their twenties told me that it was easy for them to have several guys going after them at the same time.

Thanks for the article and link FirstHousePooka. That guy nailed it right on the head truer words were never written.

I learned about the gaijin pubs while in the University over there and most of what is written is true. Most of the J-Girls that come in there have already dated quite a few gaijin. I found them shallow and not to my liking. Alot of them seemed and acted more gaijin than Japanese! Since I was learning the language I quit frequenting them real fast and made my way into the Japanese places through Japanese friends or on my own that gaijin rarely, if ever, frequent as almost no one spoke English in those places.

There were always J-girls who would still like to meet you in these places and most of them had a basic understanding of the language. If you also had a basic understanding of the Japanese language your chances of suceeding greatly increased. These were great women in that they were not influenced by, nor were they abused or used by, the gaijin scumbags listed above. They were "virgins" so to speak in that a large majority of them had never met a gaijin before. More often than not it was they who made the first move out of curiosity as to why a gaijin was in these places. To me these were the real Japanese women I had heard so much about and I had a wonderful 16 plus years living there.

I know there're groups of girls in Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea, Shanghai (but not the rest of China) and Japan who only like to fool around with white guys. But I have doubt in the sex ratio provided by the author. From my personal experience with J-people, it seems that it is easy for Japanese women to find a spouse if only if they are willing to lower their standards for a husband.

And according to wikipedia,
Japan's Sex ratio:

at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female
under 15 years: 1.05 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1.01 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 0.72 male(s)/female
total population: 0.96 male(s)/female (2003 est.)
at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female
under 15 years: 1.05 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1.01 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 0.72 male(s)/female
total population: 0.96 male(s)/female (2000 est.)
and
Marriage Status of the Japanese population:
Over 15: Married Male 61.8%, Female 58.2%. Never married Male 31.8%, Female 23.7%.
25 - 29: Never married Male 69.3%, Female 54.0%.
30 - 34: Never married Male 42.9%, Female 26.6% (July 2000).

Demographics of Japan - Wikipedia

So, how did the author come up with the "Japan's male to female ratio, with an outstanding one man to every three females?"

Is he talking about Japaneses old women over 65 years going after guys in gaijin pubs? Errr... that's a bit odd... or he simply made a "mistake" in his article because

according to wikipedia, this is the only age group in which the number of Japanese females exceed Japanese males.

65 years and over: 17% (male 9,024,015; female 12,501,304) (2000 est.)

Therefore, I think the popularity of white gaijins among J-women because this group of women are attracted to white guys for whatever reasons, but not because there're more gals than guys in Japan.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, in the early 90's I had met several Japanese visa students who asked me to hook them up with some black guys (well, I was a "local" so I had more friends in the mainstream society than them) because they wanted to date at least one black guy before they went back to Japan. But that was only another fad...

I think this is a brilliant article and very true.

After all, a Japanese friend of mine was ready to marry my dad! No kidding. ☝

Kirei_na_me said:
I think this is a brilliant article and very true.

After all, a Japanese friend of mine was ready to marry my dad! No kidding.

She "was ready?" So, does that mean she did not actually marry your dad?

I used to know a lot of people from the submarine base and the coast guard academy in the New England area. And I was acquainted with a lot of servicemen who had foreign wives from South Korea and the Philippines. Many dated Japanese women, very few were capable of winning them to America. I only knew two who got married to Japanese women, but they were old, and they got married in the 1960s!

After all, dating and marrying are two different matters. ☝

Last edited:
Oh, no. She didn't marry my dad. He was already engaged and thought she acted like a little girl. He would've never considered that. It was just in her head. She just wanted permanent residency here.

"What I failed to mention is the average Japanese girl is not that interested in you. For a start, unless you speak fluent street Japanese the average Pinky and Diane girl isn't even going to give you a sideways glance, let alone the time of day."

Spot on. Finally someone with common sense tells it how it really is.

I wasn't ther elong enough to know if that article is correct or exaggerated, but I would say black guys have kind of a bad rap b/c of the africans that do not respect japanese womens private space. One club we went to couple africans came in and 2 immediately start grabbing some random japanese girl and start dancing with them. These wer ento happy but being kinda passive they quietly danced then ran off 1st chance they get. Well me being black and taller than most of the blacks in japan probably, i bet I was scarrier than the lil african guys. Still I just kept to myself. :(
This was a mix crowd with many english speaking patrons. Now when we went to the harcdcore japanes eclub like Club Fura just about nobody spoke english but I had many people kinda smile and try to speak english to me once they noticed I was speaking to other japanese in the club. (unless you speak some japanese i don't think you'll get much attention either) But a friendly smile does go a long way with japanese. I wish I could be more fluent :(

this sub culture of otaku and japamania is making my gender/race combination look bad.

now im going to feel bad when i visit japan this christmas and spend it with my g/f and visit her family, im going to feel like every other foreigner there is going to be looking at me and thinking "stupid anime fan f*** taking advantage of a niave japanese girl, what a f*****, i hope he dies".

i used to like anime, but that was a good few years ago, im a normal human being like all of you, who happened to fall in love with a japanese girl, if you cant handle that then tough.

but seriously, we gotta get over this obsession with putting the white man down.....any guy who goes to japan just for sex will likely get it everywhere but anyone who's worthy of interest, from japanese girls, who want sex from white guys, so what, let these two groups of people screw each other other, but with the entire spectrum of western civilization and society having it out for my race and gender combination, i feel the least i can do is spend time with my g/f in her home country without feeling like im committing some evil crime.

To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography.
-George Santayana

i agree with most of the original article, but most of the guys (and some gals) who go to japan for an easy lay will either never reach japan, or get a girl/guy who's only interested in them for the same thing, if a guy/gal goes to japan looking for love, then fine, its not our job to dictate to anyone who they love or where that persons from, i agree its best to give people the facts and realistic advice about it, and that love isnt love purely based on a race facination, but apart from that, if a guy finds love with an asian woman....get off his case =). humans are humans, no matter shape or form or colour,and yes, if i was single and in japan for a long run, ide considor dating the locals to, i am a man after all, it hardly warrants thought-crime <=/.

but apart from my ranty opinion the article is okay, if a bit narrow minded in its approach to foreigners and their relations with the japanese, it seems more often people are interested in hyping up the guys going to japan for easy sex and to feel self worth because their useless at home (if their useless at home, their useless in japan, just trust me on this ive had otaku friends who couldnt get dates at home and they couldnt get any in japan) rather then the many many men who genuinly love their japanese wife/girlfriend and are normal guys like you or me.

Good post Nuri.

I do believe that the author of the article was talking about one subset of gaijin, albeit an obvious and large subset.

(if their useless at home, their useless in japan, just trust me on this ive had otaku friends who couldnt get dates at home and they couldnt get any in japan)
I think tahts because Otaku are far more unpopular in japan.

I think that this article is Just Common Sense. "Wuv, twoo wuv"[1] is never easy to find, whereas getting laid takes a spare evening, PRETTY MUCH ANYWHERE YOU ARE. Gaijin in Japan just have an edge because they're 'exotic', but that's about it.

[1] With apologies to S. Morgenstern and William Goldman.

Interesting article.
But this stuff happens all over the world and not just in Japan.
To a certain degree there is always someone out there looking to take advantage of someone else.

The australian comment wasn't biased at all was it(lol)?

sweet666

Wow, I sure hope that people don't think I watch anime just because I'm gaijin... Anyways, sex-tourists are SOOOH boring, almost anywhere you go... but, if you are gaijin in Japan, it's STUPID NOT TO take advantage of that fact... What are you going to do, find a nice gaijin girlfriend at the Roppongi expat bar?

I wouldn't say that this sort of thing happens 'all over the world', I'm sure in some ways, but not to the extent that the gaijin/Japanese fetishism exists on both sides...

Back
Top Bottom