What's new

Favourite Kanji

I'm pretty partial to 龍, but what are the criteria here? Meaning? Aesthetics? Personal significance? Other? I've come across some that I've liked just because of what I was doing and where I was when I learned them.

I'm pretty partial to 龍, but what are the criteria here? Meaning? Aesthetics? Personal significance? Other? I've come across some that I've liked just because of what I was doing and where I was when I learned them.

There is no such criteria! You can post what ever kanii you like! May be you can post archival, rare,complex Kanjis

Nah, I don't think any of those are among my favorites, although I do also have an affinity for 盈 and 髒. 縊 and 溢 are nice too (looks-wise. The meaning of 縊 isn't nice at all). :)

Hmm... I guess while 髒 is out there I may as well throw in 穢, since they're in the same semantic ballpark (even if the meanings aren't so nice).

Last edited:
Oh, and if I may I'd like to throw out 稀 as well, partly because that's how often it seems to get used. I actually saw 希 used for it today. 希! Not even in 稀少, either! What's that about?!

Ooo, and from today's article,
晩餐 is pretty great. I like the feel/look of 餐 and the meaning of it. :)

饕餮 is pretty cool too, and not wholly unrelated (a mythical beast that devours all beasts and demons).

I think 擽 is pretty great, because it's a pretty good description (most of the time... sometimes it's not so fun. ha).

拿 and 箍 have their good points too. I kind of like the look of 拿, and 箍 and others like it have this strange thing going on with 巾 and 匚 that sticks out in my mind. 砸 is another one like that.

A few, but my favourite is 龍 (dragon), I simply cannot stop writing it.

ryuu34-1.jpg

饕餮 is pretty cool too, and not wholly unrelated (a mythical beast that devours all beasts and demons).

that phrase is wicked

I like 姻 because it looks like a man imprisoned by a woman.

Sorry to disappoint you but in this case the etymology of this character points at a completely different meaning. It is a woman (女) that is considered an aid (因) to a man, that he can rely on. Though there are moments in my life when I wonder if your etymology would not be more logical lol.

Sorry to disappoint you but in this case the etymology of this character points at a completely different meaning.
Thanks for the info ryuurui... yes, actually I thought the "imprisoned man" meaning probably wasn't etymologically correct because I know prisoner is 囚 and not 因. But the latter does look awfully like a little stick man in a prison cell!

Back
Top Bottom