What's new

Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift

So, I'm assuming the movie features no Skylines, basically the car that was most popular in the drift scene in Japan, whenever it started sometime back in the very early ninetines... </sarcasm>Also, I'd praise any movie that's based on a trend that started in another country some 17 years ago...</sarcasm>

Thumb on the pulse.

90's? hahahaha good sarcasm.
I remember watching this movie about the s13's and fc's when they first came out in 88 and they were drifting slightly through some of the corners.

And the only time they show skyline is when it is sitting parked. not really driving. You'll just have to see the movie to really formulate your opnion.

"... than I could handle,"

oh, ok :)
hope bow wow survived til the end at least
near bout every movie that come out kill the brother off first (king kong for instance and universal soldier for last)

Sorry, I misread your post.
I thought you were saying it started in the 90's. Yeah I believe it did gain popularity in the 90's. Sorry for the confusion.

White Comet said:
they also got koreans playing japs, Han was played by a korean...kang sung

You have a cartoon for your avatar, what does that make you? Phoney? I don't think so. Han wasen't playing a Japanese charecter, if he were his name wouldn't be Han.

What's next? "Excuse me, is your popcorn yellow or white? I don't want white popcorn cloaked in buttery yellow."

Grow up.

Josh

The movie sucked (story) ! The American was a stupid hillbilly which seemed slightly retarded :rolleye: Seriously, if that smuck tried to do that to my car, I'd kill him !

yukio_michael said:
So, I'm assuming the movie features no Skylines...

The movie didn't feature any skylines for the main scenes, but there was a skyline that Han and drifted circles around, to get a phone number from two hot girls.

If I'm wrong, then maybe it was a S13

anybody already watch this movie?the last part when all people using handphone watching the race,,is that true???

yukio_michael said:
Unfortunately for me, now I really want to see it--- if only, just to see how a purile car movie some how managed to outclass Lost in Translation for best representation of Japan.
Also, if it's true that this movie really is one of the greatest movies ever made about Tokyo, I'll find some sort of hat to wear and then eat that hat.
Hyperbole drives me to this film... pun... not... intended.

Lost in Translation remains the top movie to accurately portray Japan and specifically Tokyo. What I love best is the way in which it is filmed, that it captures the awe and overwhelming feeling you get the first time you are here.

madyf said:
anybody already watch this movie?the last part when all people using handphone watching the race,,is that true???

The entire movie is complete fiction, but it *would* be possible to do the video thing. Just make a video conference call and voila, but at night the picture would suck ;)

Me, I didn't like the movie. In my time here I haven't seen a single car with a custom paint job, and even seeing custom external parts is very, very rare. Neons aren't illegal but there still isn't that many here. I would say there is only a few good looking women in the entire movie, they mainly depended on the heavy makeup and short skirts to make up for it all. A nice piece of fiction though :p

Ewok85 said:
Lost in Translation remains the top movie to accurately portray Japan and specifically Tokyo. What I love best is the way in which it is filmed, that it captures the awe and overwhelming feeling you get the first time you are here.

Lost in Translation only portrays Japan accurately if you spend most of your trip to Japan in a hotel room.

Visitor Q by Takashi Miike portrays Japan accurately.
Mr. Baseball starring Tom Selleck is the second runner up.

You need to stop paying for movie theater tickets with money from your Hello Kitty purse Ewok85.

Josh

"Lost in Translation remains the top movie to accurately portray Japan and specifically Tokyo."

it accurately portrays the lives of some non-japanese people in tokyo, i definitely agree

i watched that movie and i liked it ^^.
and now i want to go to Japan.
as like someone already sayd that then some stupid teenagers find that ''Japan is so cool and now i have to go there 😲''
well i'm not like that(okay atleast i think that). i want to learn their culture and the life in Japan and the people and the language etc. i want to go to Japan but it's okay if i cant. atleast i know the culture and i know the language. but i dont want to go there becaus of a stupid movie :S.
plus i like J-music :).

so suit yourself am i a foolish teenager or not ^^.

and the movie's soundtrack is very good ^^. i like
Teriyaki Boyz - Tokyo Drift
Juelz Santana - There it Go (The Whistle Song)
5.6.7.8's - Barracuda

I agree with most opinions here, I'm not particularily fond of "Bulli-bashers" as we call them up here (because they race along the beach boulivard (spelling, I know)), their souped up noob car, its just so boring and lame and attracts the knida people I just dont like.

Secondly its gonna be no-where near a realistic representation of Japan. I know silly reason, a good story is a good story innit?.

Thirdly the story will suck, its simply a yen-cow for wannabe racers (teenagers, pathetic pseudo adults, chavs, "gansta's" and the likes) that will have cheesyness abound aimed purely at the "l33t r4c3r" in all teenagers.

I watched the first one but it wasnt my cup of tea.

All in all I'll either see it on TV or rent it, whichever comes first.

Hollywood's recent track record when it comes to vehicular cinema pretty much bites the big one imo. Films like 2Fast, Biker Boyz, Torque, etc. with all their sloppy CG and unrealistic portrayals (not to mention ridiculous plot lines) are not worth the price of admission at the theater. Regardless of the setting (LA, Miami, Tokyo), unless the cars and their driving sequences are well executed--I won't be parting with my hard-earned yen this time on opening day.

Whatever, give it a bad review, you all are dying and if you don't want to appreciate someone else's efforts then you have no appreciation for life itself. I often hear people saying "The CGI was" lame, cheesy, unreal but the CGI took people, mind, life and real things to create. Do you all even realize that you are on planet Earth, that thousands of people died today, that thousands of people are going to Japan today and that you are all eventually going to die? Why hate something or in this case give something a bad review? You are alive and you should appreciate all things.

Visitor Q is the only movie that shows the real Japan. I needed a beer after I watched it.

Josh

ghettocities said:
Why hate something or in this case give something a bad review? You are alive and you should appreciate all things.

Its simple, I know I'm going to die and have better things to do with my time than suffer through a crappy film :)

ghettocities said:
Whatever, give it a bad review, you all are dying and if you don't want to appreciate someone else's efforts then you have no appreciation for life itself. I often hear people saying "The CGI was" lame, cheesy, unreal but the CGI took people, mind, life and real things to create. Do you all even realize that you are on planet Earth, that thousands of people died today, that thousands of people are going to Japan today and that you are all eventually going to die? Why hate something or in this case give something a bad review? You are alive and you should appreciate all things.
Visitor Q is the only movie that shows the real Japan. I needed a beer after I watched it.
Josh

Because last time I check it was free will, I am willing to freely say the movie wasn't that great. Yeah I'll buy it on dvd ONLY because it was somewhat related to my Hobby.
Here is the thing It had not story line if thats why you want to see it.
The movie barely had drifting in it.
I saw many Hashiriya in Tokyo and Fukuoka none which had cars that look "LA Street Style" car show.
And they showed really nothing about Japan. The country itself.....

I wanted to see this movie mainly because it's set in Japan but I'm a bit afraid it might give a false idea, seeing that it might go for more action to appeal to westerners. I'd really like to know from those who have been to the real Japan and Tokyo and who have seen this movie if this portrays it accurately.

Dena: It will portray Tokyo about as realistically as Barney protrays Dinosaurs.

Yes, because Tyranosaurs really will give you hugs and sing songs instead of pulling your intestines from their fatty sheith and sucking them out of your abdominal cavity like spaghetti.

Sorry for the grusome example, anyway point stands, non-realistic.

Just watch it for what it is: mindless entertainment. Don't watch it for what it isn't: an accurate representation of reality.

I don't think the movie was based practically about Japan or Tokyo related areas. It's about the racing. And the girl the CA troublesome kid wants. Along with the gang.

Yes the movie is not well representing the Japan culture, and As there were very un-realistic qualities going on.

But all in all, if you are into Car Racing or tuners, it should be fun to watch. I don't think it was intended for people who know Japan very well.

...Now you guys should check out the car forums about how mad the Ford fans are, and how mad the Nissan fans are, about the RB26 engine swap in the Mustang. Now that would be something to gripe about.

As far as the CGI, It was a hell of a lot better than Part 2.

My $0.02

Even though it may be lacking of some things I'm definitely watching it... racing is love and as the poster above said, it should be fun to watch :)

From the previews I saw of this movie it looks like their just trying to ride the horse as far as they can go, nothing new in Hollywood... :cautious:

Back
Top Bottom