What's new

Do japanese people really stare if you have blond hair and blue eyes?

manju-bun

後輩
29 Mar 2009
First of all i'm new here,so hello to everyone! 🙂
(please don't blame me if i say something wrong about Japanese culture or ask stupid questions,I'm still in the process of learning!and i live in a pretty primitive country!And sorry i know this may look like a pretty stupid question)
The reason why i started this thread,my older sister was in Japan a few months ago with her husband ,(note she's very pale and has blue eyes and blond hair) She said everyone stared at her like she was a alien,and she stated it was because of her looks(and yes she knows about the gaijin complex)she also stated that she was with a lot of non Japanese people!
Anyway my question is ,Is it really possible that it was because of her looks?
Personally i doubt that :)

Most definitely, especially in the more rural areas where they don't see foreigners and where the kids don't color their hair. Aside from being a bit rude, nothing really that wrong with it.

In the bigger cities, you may not get that many stares, although you will get some. In the country, you will get curious people looking at you, but they will most often be smiling, in my experience (especially the nice old people). Mature, Japanese city people are just more desensitized, so they will often stare relentlessly with no emotion behind their eyes, like "what is this alien doing here?" Young Japanese (40 yrs and younger) often will not stare at all. They're used to seeing foreigners and have developed the mindset that Japan is an international-player, and therefore welcome foreigners and are basically indifferent toward us. Honestly, though, and for the most part, Japanese people are accommodating, unconfrontational, and realize the rudeness of a relentless stare, and the potential for animosity it fosters. For that reason, you may catch some people staring at you, but when you meet their gaze, they will quickly avert theirs'. These facts are true for ALL foreigners, not just the blondies. Japanese people have been known to travel overseas and still call their hosts "gaijin"! Foreign people throw a wrinkle in their otherwise flat, smooth social fabric. They're overall sweet people. They're just culturally indiverse and grossly underexposed (generally speaking), so you may get to see a 60 year old Japanese man throw culturally engrained etiquette and the attempt at the appearance of worldliness to the wind for the satisfaction of staring at you with the natural curiosity of a three year old child.
Japan is not the place to be if you have an issue with individual strength. Japanese are tribal in nature, and pretty much stick to what they know and are comfortable with. Sorry to say. . . foreigners just ain't what they're comfortable with... at first. Chances are, you'll be the only non-Japanese around for days at a time, so it will help if you are at terms with yourself and get a kick out of being different.

In the bigger cities, you may not get that many stares, although you will get some. In the country, you will get curious people looking at you, but they will most often be smiling, in my experience (especially the nice old people). Mature, Japanese city people are just more desensitized, so they will often stare relentlessly with no emotion behind their eyes, like "what is this alien doing here?" Young Japanese (40 yrs and younger) often will not stare at all. They're used to seeing foreigners and have developed the mindset that Japan is an international-player, and therefore welcome foreigners and are basically indifferent toward us. Honestly, though, and for the most part, Japanese people are accommodating, unconfrontational, and realize the rudeness of a relentless stare, and the potential for animosity it fosters. For that reason, you may catch some people staring at you, but when you meet their gaze, they will quickly avert theirs'. These facts are true for ALL foreigners, not just the blondies. Japanese people have been known to travel overseas and still call their hosts "gaijin"! Foreign people throw a wrinkle in their otherwise flat, smooth social fabric. They're overall sweet people. They're just culturally indiverse and grossly underexposed (generally speaking), so you may get to see a 60 year old Japanese man throw culturally engrained etiquette and the attempt at the appearance of worldliness to the wind for the satisfaction of staring at you with the natural curiosity of a three year old child.
Japan is not the place to be if you have an issue with individual strength. Japanese are tribal in nature, and pretty much stick to what they know and are comfortable with. Sorry to say. . . foreigners just ain't what they're comfortable with... at first. Chances are, you'll be the only non-Japanese around for days at a time, so it will help if you are at terms with yourself and get a kick out of being different.

Don't worry about "stupid" questions, manju-bun. How else can you find out?

I'd pretty well agree with Oren and Glenski. It depends a on what age range of Japanese, and a LOT on where you are. In a big city you probably won't get a second look but the countryside can be very different.

About ten years ago I was teaching in a junior high school. It was in Saitama, but quite a ways from Tokyo (darn near Gunma). Any particular class I saw about once a month. There was one particular 7th grade girl who always came up to me and stared at my face from about a foot away, saying, "窶禿壺?堋ェツ静? (the eyes are blue).

I guess a lot of it depends on the "vibe" of any given situation. It didn't feel rude, more like she was just amazed and fascinated.

Don't be surprised if some people don't sit next to you on trains/subways, or if they get up and move. It's what I call the "gaijin force field".

Don't be surprised if the adults and older children stare (never saw one do it with a smile), but the wee young'uns might actually point and call out something. Friend of mine actually had a kiddie come up to him and pinch the hair on his arm. Oh, and yes, some kids in elementary school or junior high might be brave enough to shout from their bikes or from vehicles. Had a bunch do that on a train preparing to debark, while I sat across the tracks waiting for my trains.

I think Glenski, Oren, and Kappa covered it pretty well. I only spent a couple weeks in Japan last fall, but experienced most of what they've already said in just those two weeks.

I did usually get a little more room on the trains and buses. Some people were obviously reluctant to sit next to me, while other people didn't hesitate at all. I gave my seat on the bus to an elderly lady once, and when she got off the bus the other elderly lady sitting next to her patted the seat and told me to sit back down with a big smile on her face. She didn't seem to have a problem with a gaijin who was twice her size sitting next to her. (Or at least she wasn't going to show it).

In Kyoto and Hiroshima, I never noticed anyone staring, but in smaller towns, I got a lot of looks. The kids weren't shy about staring and many said hello in English. Some adults stared too, but they tried to be sneaky about it. However, I had one older man whip his head around to look in the opposite direction when he saw that I noticed him staring. Not very discreet, but I found it more humorous than anything.

You'll get used to the staring after a while. However I'm still not used to people not saying anything when they're walk past you. It's weird to me but most Japanese don't make small chat with strangers unless it's a sociable event.

Haha, my math teacher's sister has blonde curly hair, and blue eyes, and when she came back from Japan she had the BIGGEST ego EVER because all the Japanese guys were all over her. She's not drop dead gorgeous, but her hair and eyes were enough apparently! My math teacher's sister is a Japanese teacher by the way!

I spent eight months of last year in Nagoya, Japan. Me, i am a 17 year old Australian. I have blonde hair, blue eyes and am relatively tall.

I noticed that many, many people do stare, and many do not. You cannot possibly generalise a whole nation one way or the other.

Some people may find the staring offensive while others, myself included, don't have a problem with it at all. Actually, i'd probably feel a bit let down if i didn't get stared at. it almost gives you a celebrity complex in some ways. In no egotistical terms, it is actually a real confidence booster, if you are lacking.

You sometimes get "looks" from people (not just Japanese people) if you look different no matter what you are and what your physical features are.

I get looks here in Japan probably because I am a big guy with shaved head and a bushy goatee, and I used to get looks in the US for the same reason combined with the fact I am Asian (AND for being rather good looking).

I am not saying you have to like it, but it is just the way people are.

I wonder what happens with long hair (usually ponytailed) and brown skin (light to intermediate, depending on season).

First of all i'm new here,so hello to everyone! 🙂
(please don't blame me if i say something wrong about Japanese culture or ask stupid questions,I'm still in the process of learning!and i live in a pretty primitive country!And sorry i know this may look like a pretty stupid question)
The reason why i started this thread,my older sister was in Japan a few months ago with her husband ,(note she's very pale and has blue eyes and blond hair) She said everyone stared at her like she was a alien,and she stated it was because of her looks(and yes she knows about the gaijin complex)she also stated that she was with a lot of non Japanese people!
Anyway my question is ,Is it really possible that it was because of her looks?
Personally i doubt that :)
It is because of Japanese have xenophobic traits this days towards westerner because westerner crimes in Japan are very high each years.

It is because of Japanese have xenophobic traits this days towards westerner because westerner crimes in Japan are very high each years.

You sir are a fool.

Anyway I think its kind of obvious why people from more remote parts of Japan would stare, because it would be exactly the same in any other country. They probably haven't seen many foreigners and get most of their information about them from media and hearsay, so they might be wondering what your all about.

That's proberly one thing that would make feel quite nervous, you would be like 'representing' the place you come from I'm guessing, so you would be judged quite heavily. As I said before this is for remote areas, I think a lot of Japan has gotten used to the fact foreigners like to go there.

I always get this kind of treatment from any westerner or non Asians when I come to western based forum such as this, it is like my daily food.

On topic, I will give you the statistic after you can show me statistic of how many rapes or other sexual related crimes westerner and african committed in Japan each year.

I always get this kind of treatment from any westerner or non Asians when I come to western based forum such as this, it is like my daily food.

On topic, I will give you the statistic after you can show me statistic of how many rapes or other sexual related crimes westerner and african committed in Japan each year.

I am not going to cite authority in your favour.
As for getting such treatment. Well, why don't you look around and see that all the Asians on the forum who act like anyone else are treated like anyone else.

And honestly, if you want to argue something that 99% of the readership disagrees with, its the least that you cite proper authority.

You will have to get your next meal somewhere else. I would suggest you change your diet but people enjoy eating what they love and you obviously love yours so it'd be no use. We do serve it on occasion but we have to draw the line somewhere as it stinks up the whole forum and other users wouldn't like that.

Last edited:
The Japan Police Agency has reported annual stats for a while. They clearly show that foreign crime is not only lower than that for Japanese, but that it is declining.

Go away.

Back
Top Bottom