What's new

Curious about Kanji

Dhakrius

Registered
9 Jul 2017
So i learned that the kanji "休" means "to rest" so what if i for an example wanted to say "i am resting". i should say i only just learning the hiragana and katakana characters. And i probably shouldnt start to learn Kanji just yet but im just curious since i couldnt imagine the kanji change cause of it. Plz help me out ;P

You would say, 私は休んでいます (わたしはやすんでいます)

Start by learning hiragana/katakana and basic grammar first, and don't worry about the kanji until later. Hopefully you are using a decent textbook, which will explain all of this.

If you try to learn Japanese by studying kanji, you will find yourself in very deep water without any idea of how to swim.

Ty for the answer, im also just doing Hiragana and Katakana right now but i just stumbled upon it when i checked out the internet and i just couldnt get my focus back :)

Kanji loosely convey meanings, NOT a precise set of words. 休 represents the concept of "rest", not the exact words "to rest".

Japanese can be written without kanji. Think of kanji as a surface polish that helps speed up reading once you are already familiar with the kanji characters.

Also you'll find that once you're ready to start learning Kanji that it's like pieces fitting into a puzzle. You learn a certain Kanji and you'll know plenty of words that use it and you'll think to yourself, "Oh it's that Kanji for that word. I should have known!". At least so far that's my experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom