What's new

Could you explain about this American slang?

momo

先輩
12 Apr 2003
:confused:"Would you like some fries with that?"

Hi, everyone!
I'm Japanese student studying in USA.
I always wonder every time I hear this expression from friends and TV. I know that they are not talking about fries, because they are not working at McDornald or any places when they use it. When I ask my friends about this expression, they usually say with smile "it's just an expression" , so I don't know when I can use it and what this really means..
If anybody help me, I really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

I use it when someone asks me to get or buy them a lot of things.
Example:
Friend- Hey, can you buy me a soda, candybar, hamburger, granola bar, (on an on)
Me- (sarcastic) You want some fries with that?

Konnichiwa Momo-san!

Hahaha... HybridPunk-san's example is very precise.:D
There is not the same idiom in Japan. But I can understan your explanation because McDornald's shopgirl ask me always when I order a hamburger, "Would you like some fries with that?" or the like. And It take hold on the Japanese as sarcasm.😊
I ask my friends on shopping often, "Where is the next end of our journey?".:p

NANGI

HybridPunk ir correct. Mainly it is a sarcastic reply to express surprise or mild agitation at the quantity or challenging nature of a person's requests. I would not use it with someone in a position of authority unless we were good friends!

yeah, you probably wouldn't want to say that to someone whose not a friend or someone you feel you can joke around with... (i'd stick to your peers)

but there is another way to use it that's a little bit...well, meaner, i guess. sometimes people use it to suggest that someone isn't going to amount to anything... (that they'll end up working in a fastfood place for the rest of their natural life, because they're a lazy deadbeat... or because they're a loser.)

example:
"you should just start practicing how to smile real nice and say "would you like fries with that?""
or (thank you, moose!)
"hey buddy, you might want to practice this pick-up line: "would you like fries with that?""

sorry, i know that wasn't explained very well, maybe someone who's better with words will understand what i'm talking about...

🌹 Thank you all!!!!
Okay, I will be careful when I use it in a sarcastic way.
hehe.. i just wanna use it so bad~! i can't wait! 😄

Somehow i thought it would have several meanings.
Maybe it's my imagination, but don't they use it in a different way? Does this always mean bad/sacastic? Do you use it as "welcome", too? I'm confused.. :mad:
degpiexoxo san, yeah you got my point. but but I thought that it had more meanings.. sorry, I can't give you guys any examples~ If I hear it again, I will ask you guys with examples.

Thanks again,
momo

In America, whenever fast-food is ordered it is customary for the server/order-taker to offer up a side dish if the customer does not mention it first. This is part of the whole suggestive selling process that franchises stress. In this case, the actual derivative stems from hamburger joints (Burger King, McDonald's, etc.) but has since gone on to be representative of the entire fast-food industry and when used is generally meant in a sarcastic way.

Along similar lines is the age-old adage, "Want some cheese with that whine?" which is a slight wordplay on wine and cheese tasting but meant in a derogatory manner when someone is whining incessantly and calls for a bit of sarcasm. 8-p

Originally posted by momo
Do you use it as "welcome", too? I'm confused..

No, don't use it as a welcome. :p

Imagine this:

*ring door bell*
Hi! I'm [name]! Would you like fries with that?

XD

Say that to a guy, you'll get smashed. Say that to a girl... probably get slapped.
That's hilarious...

Originally posted by Keiichi
No, don't use it as a welcome. :p

Imagine this:

*ring door bell*
Hi! I'm [name]! Would you like fries with that?

XD

Say that to a guy, you'll get smashed. Say that to a girl... probably get slapped.
That's hilarious...

After you have sex with someone, you kick them out of your bed... and if they look at you strange, then you could say "Would you like fries with that?!"

Back
Top Bottom