What's new

Constitutional changes eyed to let female on throne, legalize military

scotsboyuk said:
There were Roman Emperors from Britannia, but that wasn't what I was thinking of. The present Queen's father, King George VI, was, to give him his full title, King-Emperor George VI. Quen Victoria was the first Queen-Empress (in fact the only Queen-Empress to rule in he rown right) and there were four King-Emperors, including George VI.

Why the hyphen? What's the difference then?

To get on topic: I agree with Kei Shugojin! :)
To Scotsboy: What do you think about the topic: female empress in Japan? no-no or hurray?

@Miss_apollo7

The hyphen was to denote that the Soveriegn was both a King and Emperor or Queen and Empress. Queen Victoria was Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc, but she was Empress of India.

The late Queen Mother was the last Empress of India.

I see no reason for there not to be an Empress of Japan, we have had an Empress before and it certainly didn't do Britain any harm, quite the opposite in fact. Having said that, British culture is different from Japanese culture; the decision should ultimately be that of the Japanese people.

scotsboyuk said:
There have only been three Queens/Empresses of the United Kingdom in over almost three hundred years. Before that there has only been two queens of Scotland and three queens of England and Wales since the time of the Romans.

I don't want to compare the Japanese Monarchy with western monarchies in that respect, because they are not oriental and therefore don't really have similar norms and values. It is better to compare the Japanese Monarchy with for example the Chinese Monarchy. China had only one empress in all of its history that was Wu Zhao also known as Wu Zetian.

Miss_apollo7 said:
Eisuke: If you don't want a female heir, who would you suggest? Are there any good subjects the Japanese people like/love/prefer?

I already stated a possible solution in one of my previous posts please see my previous posts.

Kei_Shugojin said:
Let's stop talking about tradition here for a moment. Do you think a woman is any less capable of being a monarch than a man??

No, but I prefer keeping the tradition intact.

@Eisuke

The Western monarchies did not bar women from becoming Queen or Empress in their own right, but it was a very unusual occurrence. Women really only ever became monarchs when all possible make heirs had been exhausted.

The Western monarchies are different from the Far Eastern monarchies, for one they are largely descended from either Roman or Germanic/Norse ideas of kingship. The monarchies of the West are often broken and not continous in the same way as the Japanese monarchy is, with the exception of the Danish and British monarchies.

Hiroshi66 said:
What exactly are the names of the Danish and Japanese imperial families?

The name of the Danish Queen is Margrethe II. Of the family of Slesvig-Holstein-Sonderborg-Glucksborg... :)

Thanks Apollo-san!

So Margrethe II is related to old Danish monarchs like Canute (I think the Danish spelling is Cnut.. he conquered Norway and England in the 1100s..)

In regards to Japan's revised constitution and remilitarization: even if the constitutional revision was passed, which is quite challenging considering it will require a two thirds parliamentary vote, it has not been suggested that the US-Japan mutual security treaty would become obsolete. Japan and the US are allies for a variety of reasons including East Asian economics, security, and international stability. Who is to say how the US-Japan relationship would change if Japan developed a stronger military...I don't think that it is likely to detiorate given China's and North Korea's current positions.

Heck.. even the United States has implied that they want Japan to take a more military centered role in the security of the world. its all up to Japan now.

Japan has the oldest "monarchy" 'throne' in the world
think again its not a monarchy its an imperial (fascist) family!!!

This Eisuke is a bit of an imperialist fascist. He doesn't even realise that the (korean) emperor in japan has nothing to do with royalty as in monarchy

celtician said:
think again its not a monarchy its an imperial (fascist) family!!!

I think you're talking nonsense.

celtician said:
This Eisuke is a bit of an imperialist fascist. He doesn't even realise that the (korean) emperor in japan has nothing to do with royalty as in monarchy

No I'm not a bit of an imperialist fascist.

I would just like to say that nowhere in the constitution of Japan does it stipulate the order of ascendency to the throne. Nowhere. That is dealt with in a separate law. Read the constitution. A simple search will pull up English translations. I challenge anyone to find the part of the current Japanese constitution that defines who will become the emporer of Japan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom