What's new

Confused about the meaning of 強くあろうと意識した in this context .

zeroh4nter

後輩
17 Aug 2021
When reading , i came across this hard sentence and can't decide what is the correct meaning Much thanks if anyone can help me find the correct meaning !
Context:1 character said to MC ,that she only felt herself truly become strong since the day she met her Master.Then she said this to confirm that again (maybe?)

そのときからだな、強くあろうと意識したのは

I'm not sure about the meaning of this sentence ,my guess are:

1/It must be from that day, that I'm aware of myself being strong.

2/.....,that I know I have to try to become strong .

Full long context below
=====================================
MC want to help the people in this world (he has been isekai'd to a new world and there's a war here)then he talked to this character (A-san) ,and A-san talking about the fact that she only felt herself truly become strong since the day she met her Master (T-sama).The context is long so I shortened it,here is the long version

MC「A-sanは強そうだね」

A-san「腕には昔から自信があったが、真に強くなれたと思えたのは、T-samaと出会ってからだな」

MC 「それは?」

A-san 「力を持つことの理由や使い方を示してくださったのがT-samaだ」

A-san「ゆえに、私とBはT-samaのために戦い、夢を叶える後押しをしようと決めた」(B is her friend, T-sama's dream is to end war and bring true peace to everyone)

A-san「そのときからだな、強くあろうと意識したのは」 (>>here is the line I was wondering. If both of my understanding were wrong please explain and correct me)

As you must know, あろう is the volitional form of ある. ある works as a volitional verb here, and あろう expresses the speaker's will like 一生懸命勉強しよう. Unlike 強くなろう, 強くあろう shows that A-san is already strong. The nuance is more likely to "to try to act/behave strongly".

As you must know, あろう is the volitional form of ある. ある works as a volitional verb here, and あろう expresses the speaker's will like 一生懸命勉強しよう. Unlike 強くなろう, 強くあろう shows that A-san is already strong. The nuance is more likely to "to try to act/behave strongly".
thanks 4 your help , i added the sentences that come afterward ,don't know if they change your interpretation or not
MC :「俺と同じだ」
A-san 「自惚れるな。私はまだお前を完全に信用したわけではないからな」
A-san 「……話が長くなってしまった。私も少し休ませてもらうとしよう」

The thing here is she's already strong. So I don't understand why she would say like you wrote

The thing here is she's already strong.
Yes, as I wrote "A-san is already strong" in my previous post (I meant "she was already strong at the time" here).
My interpretation is not changed. I didn't mean "she pretended to be strong", just in case it's confusing.

Yes, as I wrote "A-san is already strong" in my previous post (I meant "she was already strong at the time" here).
My interpretation is not changed. I didn't mean "she pretended to be strong", just in case it's confusing.
thank you , but now when I read again i'm still not quite 100% understand

In the previous sentence ,A-san said she started to feel herself become truly strong since she met with her Master T-sama
A-san「腕には昔から自信があったが、真に強くなれたと思えたのは、T-samaと出会ってからだな」

So I think she should say "It was from that moment/since then , I became aware of
myself being (truly) strong" ? (because she's strong already ,why she should say like you said "wanting to be strong"-あろう expresses the speaker's will ?)
Please explain to me since i'm new at reading japanese (previously I mainly watch Naruto and learn from hearing )

Nevermind @Toritoribe
I got an answer from a japanese guy , maybe someone will need this in the future ,in case of wondering about the correct meaning

強く -- adverb form of 強い. interpret as 強い人で

あろう -- volitional of ある. interpret as 存在しよう

"It's from then that I consciously strived to be strong" /"...became aware/conscious of striving/trying to be strong"

Vagabond manga chapter 272 reference
Eng: https://cloud.heavenmanga.org/cdn/2021/02/06/vagabond-chap-272-page-19.jpg

Japanese: https://renote.jp/files/blobs/proxy...79c767234ba125ec9e65ef0ac15f733e/d66c0e98.jpg

(the fan translation is wrong ,this's what the old lady said

Old lady :"Mahatachi ..in this world ,there's no such thing as "the strong"

"...There are only those who are striving/trying to be strong... that's all" )

Sorry, but I just have to say this.

zeroh4nter said:
Nevermind @Toritoribe
I got an answer from a japanese guy , maybe someone will need this in the future ,in case of wondering about the correct meaning

In case you didn't realize, Toritoribe-san is also a native Japanese speaker, and telling him to "nevermind" and suggesting -- after he made multiple posts trying to help you (with this question and your previous questions) -- that what he told you wasn't the "correct meaning" is somewhat rude.

I'm glad that you were able to make sense of it in the end, but just because Toritoribe-san's explanation didn't "click" for you in your mind, that doesn't mean it wasn't "correct", or that you should be dismissive of his help.

Back
Top Bottom