What's new

Certificate of Eligibility - Can someone please help?

KashimaKing

Kouhai
6 Oct 2015
First off I apologize for yet another immigration query, I can imagine they are constant here.
Secondly I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post, please move the thread if need be.

I would really appreciate any advice on this matter as I'm lost, kind of.

Anyone who knows from my previous query, me and my Japanese partner aim to get married and to obtain a spouse visa next year, but I'm doing my research early.

I have read about this certificate of eligibility. Ill try to make this query simple.

I live in Japan on a working holiday visa. I want to apply for a spouse visa. The certificate of eligibility forms constantly repeat 'entry to japan', '3 months validity from arrival' etc. I WONT arrive, I'm already here. Do I need to apply for this before going through the spouse visa process? As I'm in Japan already, do i sort of apply for it all-in-one as part of my visa application?

Im just so confused. Im pretty sure from what I've read, the COE is not a visa and does not give you the right to live in Japan, its just something you need when applying for a visa. Why would anyone need to apply for a document that lasts for 3 months, and then in that window apply for a visa?

I work and live here, so what do i do first for this visa. Does my employer apply for me?

There is no word in the English, or Japanese language that can clearly identify the extreme amount of confusion and headache this whole visa thing is causing me. Help!

Thank you again

As you said, the point of the COE is to show your eligibility to enter Japan. In my understanding you don't need it if you want to change your status while you are already in Japan.

Why not just go ahead and do it?

Well, its embarrassing to say the least, but because its almost a plan B. She would like to move to the UK with me for a few years, and there IS a visa that allows us to do that, only the selection process for the Visa is pretty much on a random basis up to 1000 applicants, and also they dont release information on this process until early 2017, so close to when my visa expires. We of course love each other and our relationship is genuine with history, and we are warm to the idea of marriage, but if you're wondering why we dont get married tomorrow, its because we are trying to plan our future in such a way that we remain together.

As you said, the point of the COE is to show your eligibility to enter Japan. In my understanding you don't need it if you want to change your status while you are already in Japan.

Thank you for your reply. Regardless, there are still countless forms and processes to battle through, just as much as if i wasn't in the country already I can imagine.

if you're wondering why we dont get married tomorrow, its because we are trying to plan our future in such a way that we remain together.

The reason I asked was because many people have a misunderstanding regarding the nature of getting married here, conflating "marriage" and "wedding". The actual act of getting married here is just a simple trip to city hall and a few minutes of paper shuffling and hanko stamping. Weddings are entirely optional. If for the purpose of visa applications, deadlines, and the like it would be more beneficial to go ahead and have the marriage officially down on paper even though for family or financial reasons or whatever a wedding ceremony would best be put off for a few months, then going ahead and doing the paperwork sooner rather than later is an option.

The reason I asked was because many people have a misunderstanding regarding the nature of getting married here, conflating "marriage" and "wedding". The actual act of getting married here is just a simple trip to city hall and a few minutes of paper shuffling and hanko stamping. Weddings are entirely optional. If for the purpose of visa applications, deadlines, and the like it would be more beneficial to go ahead and have the marriage officially down on paper even though for family or financial reasons or whatever a wedding ceremony would best be put off for a few months, then going ahead and doing the paperwork sooner rather than later is an option.

Yes so I've heard. This is obviously very different to how we do it in the west, but it works to my advantage. Something annoying about even this (but understandable i suppose?) I have to provide proof from the British embassy that I'm able to marry. I imagined id need something like this, but what i didn't anticipate is that although i live in Osaka, I have to go to Tokyo just to get this, there literally seems to be no other option. Getting there and back means time off work and money, and we haven't even started the process of marriage and visa yet, lord help me

This is obviously very different to how we do it in the west, but it works to my advantage.
In the U.S. this happens too. There are many reasons to make the marriage official before the (optional) wedding ceremony. (Such as military deployment, visa concerns, health care, etc.) It probably happens in the UK too.

In the U.S. this happens too. There are many reasons to make the marriage official before the (optional) wedding ceremony. (Such as military deployment, visa concerns, health care, etc.) It probably happens in the UK too.

Yes maybe, but I've never heard of it. Its usually as simple as you book the date way in advance, then on the day you have a wedding and you become married. You are making sense though, there are good reasons to do it in advance

Have your girlfriend contact immigration and ask. It can't be simpler than that. I don't recall how I did it, but you have a native speaker at your beck and call. Take advantage of the situation.

Have your girlfriend contact immigration and ask. It can't be simpler than that. I don't recall how I did it, but you have a native speaker at your beck and call. Take advantage of the situation.

Yes, my (Japanese) wife did this a couple of days ago and easily got very clear information. However she did notice that at the same time she got a bit of a grilling too because obviously they're always on the lookout for people who are trying to get a spouse visa for nefarious purposes. The whole thing seems pretty clear and simple and not very arduous but I guess it will be a bit easier for us because we are already married and have been for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom