What's new

Career Field and Universities

ZenThePotato

Registered
4 Apr 2018
Hello ~ I am from Brunei. I am making this thread because I needed opinions from other people considering my situation.

My Situation Currently :
Well basically right now I am going through my last year of A-levels in my country, Brunei. Currently, taking: Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and English A Levels. So basically I wanted to pursue two possible careers that I am currently aiming for. It is 'Aeronautical Engineering' or 'Biomedical Engineering'. These two careers are my current interest in for the last few years. Last year, I got to learn 'F1inSchools' and learning about the whole thing about Aerodynamics. It quite piqued my interest more on the subject which currently drives my will.

Alast...my country, Brunei. The current universities doesn't have the majors: 'Aeronautics' or 'BiomedEng'.
It deleted my options quite a bit. Then when I thought of going to get a scholarship but unfortunately, my country have a limited amount of people they would send on a scholarship. Basically, around 30 nowadays. Then that limited my options a bit more. When I got to know MEXT, maybe I could try to get the scholarship. There are things I am kind of confused like Aeronautics or you know is not listed in the majors in the Undergraduate Guidelines. Is there any way for me to take other majors that is out of that list? I tried to ask the Embassy in my country but have not received a reply since last week.

Next, considering Aeronautics and basically the whole thing on Engineering. Some of you may say I should take it in the UK or the US or maybe basically the top engineering country 'Germany'. I want to but like I said Government Scholarships are limited to 30. So if I don't get that, I might just try to at least get MEXT as an add-on option for me to study. Actually I did ask one Japanese having the username 'Lynx' in a social network on where should I take Aeronautics. He actually said that he does not recommend me to go to Japan to study Aeronautics, that discouraged me a bit but I am still taking on the possibilities. I like challenges anyways.

So far, universities that had Aeronautics are like Tokyo, Kyoto , etc. Not many options to be honest. If I would take Aerospace as my major, then its quite hard because Brunei is seriously weird. They don't need Aerospace Engineers but needs Aeronautical Engineers. There are so many Aerospace Degree Holders in Brunei that are either jobless or just have to cope with other jobs like carwash. Seriously I met lots of PhD holders working in carwashes just because the government won't take them. Quite a harsh reality isn't it? Yeah I know haha.

Extra : I guess like if I cant take the major I wanted to do in, that is quite a letdown. My father quite supports me to do engineering even though he kind of wants me to take that medical degree but I am not taking it.

I hope anyone in this forum would be to at least give me their opinion on this as I am currently in a pinch of time but if you cant, that is alright.Thank you even if you cant help me. If I am missing any information on myself or my country, just tell me okay :)

I wanted to pursue two possible careers that I am currently aiming for. It is 'Aeronautical Engineering' or 'Biomedical Engineering'.
Obviously, these are very different fields. Do you plan to put the degree to use back in Brunei or elsewhere?

When I got to know MEXT, maybe I could try to get the scholarship. There are things I am kind of confused like Aeronautics or you know is not listed in the majors in the Undergraduate Guidelines. Is there any way for me to take other majors that is out of that list? I tried to ask the Embassy in my country but have not received a reply since last week.
Early May is the busiest time of year next to new year. It is the holiday called Golden Week, so all government offices are shut down until next week. Give them time if you want the Japanese embassy there to respond.

If I would take Aerospace as my major, then its quite hard because Brunei is seriously weird. They don't need Aerospace Engineers but needs Aeronautical Engineers.
I'm confused. Aeronautical engineering is what you listed earlier as an interest, so what's the problem?

How's your level of Japanese ability, and which universities here offer your desired degrees in English? If you can't read textbooks or scientific papers or write in Japanese, you're obviously going to have to consider places with programs in English.

Do you plan to put the degree to use back in Brunei or elsewhere?

I am planning to put the degree into use in my country. Specifically going to try to get a job at the Airport.

Early May is the busiest time of year next to new year. It is the holiday called Golden Week, so all government offices are shut down until next week. Give them time if you want the Japanese embassy there to respond.

Yeah, I know I have heard. I am just asking here maybe I can get an opinion or so about what I am thinking right now.

I'm confused. Aeronautical engineering is what you listed earlier as an interest, so what's the problem?

My interest is in Aeronautics but most of the majors are like combined with Aerospace for most universities I found. I was just stating a fact I guess about my country there.

How's your level of Japanese ability, and which universities here offer your desired degrees in English? If you can't read textbooks or scientific papers or write in Japanese, you're obviously going to have to consider places with programs in English.

My Japanese ability is low. That is why I am considering to take the 1 year language training if I get the MEXT Scholarship. So far, in Japan, its quite low to be honest. The amount of universities I found was not that many. I can't consider taking the major in a university in English in Japan because most of it was either going to teach in full Japanese or more Japanese than English.

If you are going to say that I should then go to another country other than Japan. Well, it would be great but its quite hard as like I said, my country only provides a limited to 30 people for a scholarship. MEXT Scholarship is like another option if I cant get my country's government scholarship which could help me carve a path into taking my interest in Aeronautics. Well, I would go to another country like Germany or the UK to study Aeronautics if it was possible but yet like I said its limited. I wanted an opinion as in like what do you think of me studying this major in Japan even though the majors on Aeronautics is limited to only a few universities. Like if you were me, would you take Aeronautics in Japan even though its limited and even one Japanese say that you should go to other countries to study it.

I am really sorry if its quite confusing. I am just speaking my mind right now but I am glad you at least replied to my post. Thank you.

Thanks for your answers. I am very confused about why you need an aeronautical engineering degree to work in an airport. Can you explain what sort of positions require that?

If you are going to say that I should then go to another country other than Japan. Well, it would be great but its quite hard as like I said, my country only provides a limited to 30 people for a scholarship.
Yes, this was on my mind. Have you confirmed whether a degree from Japan would be accepted as a qualification in Brunei airport jobs? Since you seem to be able to communicate well in English, it seems like studying in an English-speaking country would make more sense. Limited scholarship opportunities from your own country are still not no opportunities, so how do you think you compare to other candidates? Besides, other countries (English speaking ones) may have financial assistance, too, not just Japan.

My Japanese ability is low. That is why I am considering to take the 1 year language training if I get the MEXT Scholarship.
Even intensive training for a year won't get you very far. I work at a university where some of the foreign students are required to take 6 months of intensive training before starting classes. The training is at another university, a much larger one, and it's quite good. However, the level of Japanese that people have at the end of 6 months is pretty weak. Keep in mind that we're talking about being able to read highly technical textbooks and reference journal articles, not just get by in a restaurant or supermarket, which is pretty much all these students have mustered in 6 months. Barely.

Thanks for your answers. I am very confused about why you need an aeronautical engineering degree to work in an airport. Can you explain what sort of positions require that?

No problem. Well to be honest I kind of made myself pathways other than the airport. Before that, you asked what kind of positions, well obviously Aeronautical Engineer. We can also be a pilot, flight engineer, aircraft technician, aviation and aeronautic design, air traffic controller, etc but some of these jobs doesn't necessarily require an aeronautics degree. My interest in this field was basically because I got interested in Aircraft ever since but I have other reasons too. I also told you that if I can't pursue this, I would then go to the other field of Biomedical Engineer because in the majors listed in MEXT, I saw Biotechnology which was closest to this but its more of a second choice.

Well if I get the degree but won't get a job in the field, I guess I would be continuing my studies and aim to be a lecturer instead. At times from what I heard, some people got told 'you are overqualified to get this job so you cannot take this career.' Its quite funny to be honest.

Have you confirmed whether a degree from Japan would be accepted as a qualification in Brunei airport jobs?

Yes, I asked the airport twice already and they said they accept it as long as I have the right qualifications but it kind of sounds fishy so I want to ask more whenever I have the chance to.

Since you seem to be able to communicate well in English, it seems like studying in an English-speaking country would make more sense.

Ah, thank you. I would study in an English-speaking country if I could to be honest with you.

Limited scholarship opportunities from your own country are still not no opportunities, so how do you think you compare to other candidates? Besides, other countries (English speaking ones) may have financial assistance, too, not just Japan.

I know its still not no opportunities. I am trying as hard as I am right now to get that qualifications for the government scholarship. If I would to compare myself in terms of the government scholarship right now, I would put myself in-between the best and the worst. Like other countries, there will always be someone who is better than you so I will always keep that in mind but I still won't give up on it. If I would compare myself in terms of MEXT participants, I guess I would put myself in the 'okay' zone because I have already practiced a lot. Like for Mathematics, me and my friends who is also participating have been practicing a lot because Mathematics is a lot different from what we have learnt.

Moreover, the syllabus is kind of similar in a way but just a bit different. Our syllabus in Brunei is just basically following Cambridge 'A' Levels.

I know that other countries have scholarships like MEXT but I have not found many scholarships that offers to undergraduates like me. Mostly was for postgraduates. I have been keeping watch of a lot of scholarships to increase my chances and options like Korea's KGSP, Singapore's SINGA, Germany's DAAD, etc. Unfortunately, most of them only offers to Graduate's.

Even intensive training for a year won't get you very far. I work at a university where some of the foreign students are required to take 6 months of intensive training before starting classes.

Yeah, I kind of realized and been thinking of that a lot on how can I cope with the language that I have to face when I am studying my degree since there is a lot to learn about the language. I am never underestimating this because its quite a big wall in front of me so I am still thinking on it whether it is a good choice or not to study in Japan.

Most people I know right now in my country whose currently studying in Japan under MEXT or not. They most pursued Computer Sci, Medicine, Dentistry and Electronics.

Just because the word "engineer" is in the title, I hope you don't think biomedical engineer and aeronautical engineer do anything remotely similar. They don't. Not by a long shot.

I got interested in Aircraft ever since but I have other reasons too. I also told you that if I can't pursue this, I would then go to the other field of Biomedical Engineer because in the majors listed in MEXT, I saw Biotechnology which was closest to this but its more of a second choice.
Interested in "aircraft" is one thing. Interested in a specific field within aeronautical engineering is another. I don't think you've looked at this carefully enough.

What do you know about biotechnology careers?

Just because the word "engineer" is in the title, I hope you don't think biomedical engineer and aeronautical engineer do anything remotely similar. They don't. Not by a long shot.

Of course I know that just because of the word "engineer" in the title, it does not mean its the same thing. Its quite a different field but like I said its just something I would do other than pursuing Aeronautics. Its just a second option. If I would do something remotely similar like Aerospace Engineer which is kind of similar to Aeronautical Engineer, its quite hard because Aerospace is not accepted in my country. So Biomedical Engineering is more of like a second career choice if I cant get my first choice. Its plan B in a way because you know at times life just doesn't work the way you want to.

Interested in "aircraft" is one thing. Interested in a specific field within aeronautical engineering is another. I don't think you've looked at this carefully enough.

What do you know about biotechnology careers?

I did researched a lot and asked some people I knew who were aeronautical engineers like what they do and such. "Interested in aircraft" is just what I said in general but there is more to it. One of it is that I did "F1inSchools" before where I designed an F1 car using "Autodesk Inventor" (a CAD programme) and researched on airplanes and other vehicles in order to find the right drag coefficient, aerodynamics and drag force and such which piqued my interest in the field.

For biotechnology careers, I have looked into it a lot. Like the one I spoke of, Biomedical Engineer. I asked some people who works in this field before that all they do is just run around between hospitals in my country and do reports plus a lot more. Even though Biotechnology and Biomedical Engineer seems kind of far but its still accepted. Then, there is also Agricultural Eng and Soil Scientist that is under Biotechnology. I have checked with even the Minister and such with what kind of jobs are needed nowadays. Most of it being in the primary sector, tertiary and quarternary sector. These two degree choices are the choices that I have picked that is within my interests with Aeronautics as my main interests. I am just trying to match up my future choices to what the government is offering as of now because I don't want to be aiming to be jobless in the future.

I am just trying to match up my future choices to what the government is offering as of now because I don't want to be aiming to be jobless in the future.
As long as you are truly, sincerely interested in those fields, ok. If you're choosing because what is popular today, that is a poor choice, IMO. Both career opportunities can change a lot in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom